1800s Colt 45 revolver pulled out of the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTI 2500 Eagle pinpointing, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT pro super sniper coil. Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image_38.png
    image_38.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 1

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a bit more like just pulled out of the box. You lost me ....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to need a lot more photos.... close ups of all markings, screws, full profile of both sides.... etc.... From that pic I can tell you that you have something roughly the same shape as a Colt SAA..... as to "pulled out of the ground"..... was it in a waterprof box? The grips are there and it looks like it's not rusted....

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ditto on the posts above.It also looks like the front sight was filed down or it could be the angle.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everyone thinks it is true, but not the one in the pic (unless you buried it yesterday)

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't think it is true. just benefit of the doubt. chance for an explanation. but in reality it looks nothing like an excavated gun; not even close. it looks like a modern inexpensive replica.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? Looks like the 1922 silver dollar. Nice gun.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oil filled pail with grips secured under lid? Seam in front frame an eye catcher.Smooth bore looking,greater bore than cylinder size,pic angle maybe,front sight reduced for draw? Warped grip. Was not buried in dirt without an impressive oiled/greased wrapper in a container.Looks like a peacemaker or clone.That seam in front gets the attention though..the cylinder when enlarged looks like it has a wrap around holed piece making it nonfiring replica IF it is more than a single piece.
Ehh,that's what I think.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was pulled from a rock wall in Ringgold Ga , It was wrapped in Canvass and old tar paper I thought it looked good 1849 colt manufactured in 1865

Attachments

• 1849b.jpg
    1849b.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 1849A.jpg
    1849A.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 208

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was pulled from a rock wall in Ringgold Ga , It was wrapped in Canvass and old tar paper I thought it looked good 1849 colt manufactured in 1865

Wow. I can't stop looking at that. Very cool it was all wrapped up. Must have been very exciting.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, non firing replica for sure. How and where was it found?

OP
OP
D

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTI 2500 Eagle pinpointing, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT pro super sniper coil. Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To everyone who has commented on the post of the colt 45. It was found in the ground in a old tool box that was buried in my back woods. My back woods are right next to the Battle of Saratoga. The Bemis Heights location. Yes it was cleaned with jewelry tools and yes the firing pin was removed, but it has been fired before. That's why I ask what everyone's thoughts were. I thought it was a replica myself, but after finding out it was fired before, it made me think differently about the gun.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in the ground in a old tool box that was buried in my back woods. My back woods are right next to the Battle of Saratoga.

??? That is odd .

What are your thoughts about when and why it was buried ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions