🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the hope is that I'm lucky enough to get over an oak tree or a willow tree but I wrote NE Shilling as my new #1 on the Lifetime list. What the hell right. Why not a $100,000 coin? There's gotta be one in this Maine dirt somewhere. In all honesty I never truly believed that I'd find a tree coin but it happened. Now I just believe anything is possible. There's so many amazing coins and buttons and relics out there. Imagine finding a 1792 disme or half disme. A chain cent or birch cent. A Bar copper or a Lord Baltimore coin. We know how rare they are but I promise you they are out there and someday a lucky treasure hunter will find one. Why not me or you? That's my feelings on things now. Do the research and put in the time in the dirt and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck my friend

Agreed 100% !!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ahab8;I'm here in Boston and in your area often to small avail but someday !!!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the wonderful shilling and other finds!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh great this thread again?

Abe you get that slabbed?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh great this thread again?

Abe you get that slabbed?

They're running a special Scraps. If you send in 8 Mass silvers you get a big discount. So I figured I'd wait til the end of this season and send in the other 7 I should have by fall :head bang:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I appreciate the nice comments. I'm getting the feeling not everybody does but feel free to keep em coming lol:laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're running a special Scraps. If you send in 8 Mass silvers you get a big discount. So I figured I'd wait til the end of this season and send in the other 7 I should have by fall :head bang:

So should I be expected my $1 in 8 payments when I win? :) Looks like Monday is Day 1.... but it's certainly not going to be easy as the best we can hope for is an open patch here and there.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So should I be expected my $1 in 8 payments when I win? :) Looks like Monday is Day 1.... but it's certainly not going to be easy as the best we can hope for is an open patch here and there.

Regardless how it all plays out I hope you have a killer season brother. It makes me as happy to see my buddies do well as it does myself........ok almost lol

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTH!!!! REALLY????

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless how it all plays out I hope you have a killer season brother. It makes me as happy to see my buddies do well as it does myself........ok almost lol

Yes, good luck, I feel sorry for newbies! :happysmiley:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nioc ecin ........ I heard if you type your words backwards, the thread will go to the bottom instead of to the top.....fingers crossed.....SEND!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opposite for me
Keep this sucker alive and going forever

it wouldn't hurt Abe's feelings to see it on page 1 I'm sure

Yeah I'm not gonna lie....it puts a smile on my face everytime somebody brings this back from the depths. Seeing that dirty coin with those branches glistening in the sun is a feeling I hope to experience again some day. And a moment I will never forget

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just just jealous cause I'm in a slump but seeing this and other over-the-top finds keeps me motivated. Hopefully you northern boys can dig some winners out of that tundra you call home this spring and summer....especially you Abe. I know you've been researching your butt off!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just just jealous cause I'm in a slump but seeing this and other over-the-top finds keeps me motivated. Hopefully you northern boys can dig some winners out of that tundra you call home this spring and summer....especially you Abe. I know you've been researching your butt off!
You'll nail a stunner soon bro. I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching this winter. Lots of days I refused to leave my house to go to work lol. So yes I've got tons of sites to get to. One in particular I dream about but it is VERY hard to get to. It involves a big boat then a small boat, then a tent and a bunch of gear. But it could be amazing. Finally getting out tomorrow for awhile. Been working like crazy

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on two of the best finds posted on Tnet. And both in the same day! Hard work does pay off. I am thrilled for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread