🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of lifetime finds in one hunt,may you find many more this year! HH.....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heyyy... When did u find a Pine tree? lol

Just kidding Abe. I just saw this thread and remembered my buddy in Maine stuck in a 20' snow drift. Hang in there!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heyyy... When did u find a Pine tree? lol

Just kidding Abe. I just saw this thread and remembered my buddy in Maine stuck in a 20' snow drift. Hang in there!

Now that's plain mean talking like that-but true.:laughing7:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey did i ever show you my new England Shilling? ?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150221_083615.png
    ForumRunner_20150221_083615.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 91

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ahab8; CONGRATULATIONS.!!! I vote BANNER without a doubt. You need to find out which VARIETY of Pine Tree Shilling that one is as there was about a dozen different variety's of that coin. Have it done PCGS or ANACs ok. Certain variety's are worth a lot more than others ok.
I've been hunting for 46 years and have NEVER found a Pine Tree Shilling or a Cob either. You found BOTH in one day. That is truly AMAZING.!!!
Again, CONMGRATULATIONS. PEACE:RONB :notworthy: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes you guys are sooooooo funny! It's seems like a decade ago that I found those. It was -15 this morning without the windchill and more snow tonight. But guess what my funny lil friends. Under all of that snow and frozen ground is more Mass silvers and Cobs and GWs and Rattlesnake buttons. This deep frost is pushing them up as we speak. So guess who will have the last laugh....this guy. Whenever I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing living in this frozen tundra I just think about all of the colonial treasure right under my feet. You boys have your fun.
Vino what an amazing find there bud. You may want to post that $100,000 coin in best finds lol. And get your greasy little girly hands off it. Btw it's hard to get wifi in this IGLOO

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ahab8; CONGRATULATIONS.!!! I vote BANNER without a doubt. You need to find out which VARIETY of Pine Tree Shilling that one is as there was about a dozen different variety's of that coin. Have it done PCGS or ANACs ok. Certain variety's are worth a lot more than others ok.
I've been hunting for 46 years and have NEVER found a Pine Tree Shilling or a Cob either. You found BOTH in one day. That is truly AMAZING.!!!
Again, CONMGRATULATIONS. PEACE:RONB :notworthy: :occasion14: :headbang:

Thanks BARKER. The tree coin is NOE 29. Not super rare or valuable as far as Mass silvers go but I was psyched at the condition. And the hole just adds a bit of colonial character. I cannot wait for this season to start. I've had LOTS of time to research. I may not even work this summer. Just treasure hunt every single day.

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds and a great story. My heart rate went up as I read it!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds and a great story. My heart rate went up as I read it!

Thanks buddy. One of my favorite parts of this forum is the stories that go with the finds. If my heart rate had gone up anymore when I pulled that from the hole I would have had a heart attack and died right there. What a way to go lol

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still say that you should send it in to PCGS for the works, Abe. Too valuable and too rare not to, in my honest opinion. Slabbing validates the condition, which can not be disputed, and it also preserves it from any further handling and damage. Just saying, brother.

You know, I've thought about this. It is a wise suggestion, without a doubt. I have no arguement with it at all.
BUT, there is something about being able to hold your ancient find in your own fingers. Not to say that sooner or later you could protect it that way.
But, I get a certain feeling holding and running my fingers across something with such a history. Such a story.
I love to think about the fact that no one has touched that coin or artifact since the previous owner, and then I come along.
I don't think my short term and periodic touch will harm it that much, taking all precautions of course.
Just saying, something old and somewhat spiritual at work here. It's as close to a time machine as we may ever come.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I the hell did you find that Vino?!

About a week ago on line!!! Lol
I played a joke on dear OLD ABE...
Told him i just found it, could this be the holy grail???lol.
I even sanded off the back were it said COPY...LMAO..

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
About a week ago on line!!! Lol I played a joke on dear OLD ABE... Told him i just found it, could this be the holy grail???lol. I even sanded off the back were it said COPY...LMAO..
ah haaaa! Haha. Brutal. Kick him while he's down... in the snow (drum drum symbol crash)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have your fun boys. But seriously I'm super excited about this season. Hope to see all of my Tnet buds do great this year. I hope Vino finds that chain cent he won't shut up about, I hope Scrappy finds a Mass silver, IP his dream button, Bill D. his ....ok since Bill has found everything and has a museum in his house I hope he finds a huge hoard of colonial gold. TN Guns would be psyched with a good old LC, ok I don't have time to list every single friend on here but I sincerely hope you all find your holy grail this year. I am so happy when I'm just hanging out and I check Tnet and one of my boys just nailed a killer find. This is one of the rare groups of people who is genuinely happy for one another. No jealousy or bitter feelings. Just a bunch of happy, supportive and like minded passionate treasure hunters. There's plenty of treasure for all of us out there. Thank god we don't live in Bills hometown lol

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Now what?? There's nothing left!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

WOW! Now what?? There's nothing left!

Well the hope is that I'm lucky enough to get over an oak tree or a willow tree but I wrote NE Shilling as my new #1 on the Lifetime list. What the hell right. Why not a $100,000 coin? There's gotta be one in this Maine dirt somewhere. In all honesty I never truly believed that I'd find a tree coin but it happened. Now I just believe anything is possible. There's so many amazing coins and buttons and relics out there. Imagine finding a 1792 disme or half disme. A chain cent or birch cent. A Bar copper or a Lord Baltimore coin. We know how rare they are but I promise you they are out there and someday a lucky treasure hunter will find one. Why not me or you? That's my feelings on things now. Do the research and put in the time in the dirt and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck my friend

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread