🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22,000+ views? over 300 replies? ok enoughs enough already, its not that special for crying out loud!

lol don't mind me, im just jealous that's all

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Abe is that your Pine Tree on the cover of the May - June 2015 American Digger magazine?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Abe is that your Pine Tree on the cover of the May - June 2015 American Digger magazine?

Just in case Abe has surpassed the maximum character limit on this thread I'll answer for him and say yes, that's his coin.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds...Congrats.. Wish there was that much History in my county...

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case Abe has surpassed the maximum character limit on this thread I'll answer for him and say yes, that's his coin.

Thanks for the assist brother. You just can't kill this thread :laughing7:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey White Whale???? Thanks to John Hull in the 1640s the first of silversmith he developed the dies for the minting of the Pine tree shilling ,sixpences, this coin if I am correct, you have the oldest English coinage and a great find at that.This artisian melted Spanish pieces of 8 that he obtained from the india trade and smelted them to make beakers, cups and other objects . After he died Jerimiah Dummer took over his company until his death. Hull was one of the best of silversmiths at that time so you have more than a banner you have a home museum piece.vanzutphen,

Last edited:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha it lives on, Congratulations!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good because it reminds me how I could rotate great finds where as you are stuck on repeat. :laughing7:

If I gotta be stuck on repeat I'm happy with the song. You gotta lot of years on me bro. I'm just getting warmed up

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey White Whale???? Thanks to John Hull in the 1640s the first of silversmith he developed the dies for the minting of the Pine tree shilling ,sixpences, this coin if I am correct, you have the oldest English coinage and a great find at that.This artisian melted Spanish pieces of 8 that he obtained from the india trade and smelted them to make beakers, cups and other objects . After he died Jerimiah Dummer took over his company until his death. Hull was one of the best of silversmiths at that time so you have more than a banner you have a home museum piece.vanzutphen,

Thanks Sut. It's an honor to have this piece of history

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I gotta be stuck on repeat I'm happy with the song. You gotta lot of years on me bro. I'm just getting warmed up

That's very true. About a decade ago there was another friend who used to hunt with IH and I. He had a cousin, who had a friend, and both of them were divers who got into metal detecting but just doing beaches. One weekend they were visiting here and we took them for what I believe was their first hunt at an old site, or if not, they had not dug old stuff very much.... and from that point they decided to stick to that type o detecting in their area. Having hunted where they live, and knowing the general history of the area, I told them you might think my old coins and buttons are great and you have a long way to go... but just you wait until you get going and see what you come up with! That ended up being the truth, both dug many great finds and here I am on my 15th year still waiting for a marked early military belt plate and they have 19 (War of 1812) between them! They dug three nice ones of the next several years and then found a cache of 16 the same. It was either 16 or 18, so maybe they have 21... (actually a 3rd guy was in on the plates) but the bottom line is I still have zero! With all that said, I don't have the age of sites you do to hunt because so many of the best early ones have been hit. That's where there seems to be much more chance at getting something great, but these days we just hunt where we can, and as long as theirs flat buttons and large coppers we'll dig all the holes and hope something good happens. So I suspect the next year or two my finds will be pretty meager, but at some point I might get into some real good research and try to have another good run at some older sites. I'm sure 12 years down the road you'll be scratching your head too, probably much more than me, because there's still tons of the sites here, more than we will ever hunt, it's just those early ones that get tougher to find.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions