🥇 BANNER SPANISH DUBLOON, COB, and 2 KILLER BUTTONS and MORE!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! A great day today at the 1812 fort site! Third day at that site. To date, I had found two British buttons--- one flat, and the other my cherished artillery button with three cannons. Also, tiny musket ball, large half musket ball, and 1787 NJ Copper.
This time around, I hit bank, from within the river bank! I believe the small gold to be a 1/2 escudo, 1783. Extra fine grade I think. A 1731 COB, which I believe is burnt on the side where the cross would be. Makes sense, since the British pilfered the fort and then BURNED IT. So, I guess American money was still at a premium, thus, nothing wrong with good old spanish money. Man, I almost fainted when those fell out the bank....or was it all the gnats biting me. Annoying as hell. Actually, not sure what they were. Little red bite marks all over me. The American Artillery button came out a little later, along with the crusted pocket knife and the hatchet. Wonder if there is any hope for those two items by way of electrolysis? I like the artillery button as much as the coins. Only seen one other like it. The small button came from farther inland, along with the large musket ball. I think the smaller button to be a cuff button. Decent gold gild still on it. Oh, by the way, both buttons have full shanks. This was my best day detecting by far! Would be hard to top it with so few places to hunt down here. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 956
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 637
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 617
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 912
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 888
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 61

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
hey WildWildBill I am so curious how you were able to detect at that site? Most historic places I have been were off limits. Still amazed at those finds!
I guess I can answer this one,since metal detecting Is prohibited in historic sites and battlefields in florida,he is probably hunting the outskirts,surrounding the fort that is on either public property,or on someones private land....I Hope

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt! You see enough cobs being posted, but you rarely see Spanish gold posted. The 1/2 Escudo is a banner find in itself, but with the buttons and the cob, the whole hunt should be bannered. I am putting my vote in, but I suggest you get a nice group shot of the cob, the gold coin, and the buttons for the banner.

Lori999

Oct 15, 2012
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I can answer this one,since metal detecting Is prohibited in historic sites and battlefields in florida,he is probably hunting the outskirts,surrounding the fort that is on either public property,or on someones private land....I Hope

Yes that's pretty much what Bill said : )

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting banner on the spanish gold. I don't think we've ever had a milled spanish gold coin on the banner. Ever.

Congrats,

Buck

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're right...and yes for me a gold coin is great but because of the sites that I dig and stories I read about Spanish gold and silver...That coin is right at the top of my want list, next to a marked belt plate...

I'm voting banner on the spanish gold. I don't think we've ever had a milled spanish gold coin on the banner. Ever.

Congrats,

Buck

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repost from Mar 20th...1783 SPANISH GOLD DUBLOON, 1731 COB, BUTTONS!!!

Howdy T-netters! By popular demand this is my repost from finds on March 20th at the 1812 site. A little extra addition into how I came across these beauties (gold and COB) was being able to reach an area I couldn't before. The water level dropped and exposed a front side area to the fort site I had never seen before. I had to scale my way along a sand ledge with detector in hand, drop down towards the water's edge which was like quicksand, then climb up to the ledge again. The ledge would either end, or their was debris in the way. As I'm scaling I'm running my detector along the top of the bank searching for hits. In my original post you see the hatchet head and the pocket knife. those were my first two finds. The next hit I got was the American artillery button. I beat the hell out of that area until I found the gold and COB coins. If I was on topside I don't believe I would have found those coins. Too deep! And as I said before, those little flying gnats were biting the hell out of me all along. Bottom line, it was worth it! I'd do it again and with a hurricane coming! Thanks for the push from all ye supports. Arrrrrgh! Didn't realize how that Spanish gold milled coin on this site was so rare until brought to my attention. Hope these pics are better. Improvised some more, for the better. Enjoy! Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Bill. They'll look great up there buddy

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little confused right now as to why this has not made Banner yet. Any Mods care to comment?
ZDD

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great pics:thumbsup:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Takes a while I think

The banner selection process is a joke. There is no rhyme or reason to it. The snake button that is first on the banner now took weeks to make it and when it finally did was buried 5 pages back. The Celtic knife made it within hours of being posted.

They really need a banner vote count for everyone to see so there is some transparency as to when and how they select banners. Or they need to do away with the banner altogether because it just creates frustration and bitterness due to the secracy of the whole thing. Now just counting down the minutes until this post gets deleted.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banner selection process is a joke. There is no rhyme or reason to it. The snake button that is first on the banner now took weeks to make it and when it finally did was buried 5 pages back. The Celtic knife made it within hours of being posted.

They really need a banner vote count for everyone to see so there is some transparency as to when and how they select banners. Or they need to do away with the banner altogether because it just creates frustration and bitterness due to the secracy of the whole thing. Now just counting down the minutes until this post gets deleted.

I want the Banner to stay and I want it to be tough to make but I agree that it's often confusing as to what is going on. It's become like some secret club and you have to know the secret handshake to get in. I mean 18th century gold coin and a big fat cob....how often do we see old Spanish gold? Let me be clear that I think the mods do a great job on here but I sometimes wish they would just say "this isn't Banner because ............." Then at least we would know. When you see so many people vote on something that is obviously worthy and it doesn't go up it just makes for confusion and questions. I think s counter would be awesome. And if the mods want better pics I wish they'd just say "hey can we get some better pics please?"

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding find with the escudo Wild Bill! A colonial gold has been at the top of my list for a very long time. As far as the banner discussion is concerned, this coin should obviously be at the top, but I seem to remember an unspoken rule about relative newcomer's finds not being selected until they've established a bit of a history on the forum. I could be wrong about that but I think I've heard that before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread