🥇 BANNER SPANISH DUBLOON, COB, and 2 KILLER BUTTONS and MORE!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! A great day today at the 1812 fort site! Third day at that site. To date, I had found two British buttons--- one flat, and the other my cherished artillery button with three cannons. Also, tiny musket ball, large half musket ball, and 1787 NJ Copper.
This time around, I hit bank, from within the river bank! I believe the small gold to be a 1/2 escudo, 1783. Extra fine grade I think. A 1731 COB, which I believe is burnt on the side where the cross would be. Makes sense, since the British pilfered the fort and then BURNED IT. So, I guess American money was still at a premium, thus, nothing wrong with good old spanish money. Man, I almost fainted when those fell out the bank....or was it all the gnats biting me. Annoying as hell. Actually, not sure what they were. Little red bite marks all over me. The American Artillery button came out a little later, along with the crusted pocket knife and the hatchet. Wonder if there is any hope for those two items by way of electrolysis? I like the artillery button as much as the coins. Only seen one other like it. The small button came from farther inland, along with the large musket ball. I think the smaller button to be a cuff button. Decent gold gild still on it. Oh, by the way, both buttons have full shanks. This was my best day detecting by far! Would be hard to top it with so few places to hunt down here. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 956
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 637
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 617
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 912
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 888
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 61
OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I appreciate everyone's support, likes, comments, and questions regarding my finds! I still can't believe when I had the opportunity to hunt with someone at this historical site. The first question I asked this individual on Treasurenet was if it was legal. When he told me about archeologists already been there and left I wasn't too optimistic in finding anything. When he showed me all the awesome buttons and musketballs he found I changed my tune. I never considered it possible to find ANY coins there until the NJ Copper and now, the Dubloon and COB. Still looking forward to going back for my fourth hunt of the area. Keep in mind, I still haven't searched the whole length of the waterfront. I still believe there to be more or similar stuff. Archeologist, nothing against them, but they are sloppy and don't get everything. I hope, in the very near future. to invest in a portable video recorder to help better document my findings and give folks a better idea of what I go through to hunt this location. Keep in mind, there is a subdivision springing up there as we speak. Lots are getting sectioned off, streets are getting built, sewage lines being put in, and dirt getting transfered all over the place. I hate the idea of such a historical place getting buried/dismantled, but that's what is happening. I would say that the next six months will be critical in finding whatever else there is to find! The thrill of the hunt! The killer finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind Bill that archaeologists are basically taking a slice of what's there. They normally aren't looking to find everything but to find enough items to tell the story of that site. Pieces of ceramics and glass often are some very important pieces to them. These can help to narrow time frames. Their goals are a bit different than ours. They are looking to figure out the size and shape of buildings and such. I hope you find lots more treasures at that site. These sites are very hard to come by so make the most of it and cherish every second that you're on that historic property

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
When are you heading back out Bill? Tomorrow is Saturday...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my BANNER vote in!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Think I'll bump this thread every day until it gets put on the banner.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh gee , it's not banner yet? Whatta surprise! Well I vote banner again. Maybe our votes will count someday and sway the electoral votes our unelected officials submit.

Confused? So am I.

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too busy....if you believe that excuse. I usually have to set up a trip out there a week in advance, so Bergie can make arrangements with security on the site.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I forgot to vote banner on this, so I have now. That other thread with the better pictures has somewhat muddied the waters. Those good pictures should have been added to this orginal thread because then they could have been used for the banner. Instead you may have split your votes on 2 threads. Just a thought....

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I forgot to vote banner on this, so I have now. That other thread with the better pictures has somewhat muddied the waters. Those good pictures should have been added to this orginal thread because then they could have been used for the banner. Instead you may have split your votes on 2 threads. Just a thought....

I agree Cru. It's just a shame that things like that keep finds like these from going up top.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Cru. It's just a shame that things like that keep finds like these from going up top.

I'm living in hope it will still make it. How many others have we seen posted - none - so it more than deserves it.

PS. Plus it came with a nice group of scrace finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm living in hope it will still make it. How many others have we seen posted - none - so it more than deserves it.

I could not agree more. I get very excited when I dig Old silver. Old gold....as you well know that's on a whole different level. The other finds were pretty darn nice as well

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome hunt!!! Love that artillery button!! Best one I've ever seen!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent bunch of treasures.