2 New Fields - unpromising but CELTIC GOLD popped out !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We started in the morning on a field we had some intel on about a possible pre-historic site. Although in the morning we had plenty of Medieval & Roman Pot Shards, there was no other signs of a Roman Settlement. Maybe the odd nail, not much lead etc..
So after lunch we moved to the next field, after about an hour gridding over a Medieval house picking up lots of pottery & only 1 Buckle plate we made a decision to check our GPS intel & return to the first field. It was using Archies GPSing that centred on an aerial shot, that was not visible on Google Earth but only gave a 6 fig ref, so it only narrowed it to a 100 metre square.
Once Cru'dad put us in the right general area, we gridded the opposite grid pattern to our previous loose grid search. So as to get the width of the site & not go back over where we had been before. I think it was the second run & bang, my first Celtic Gold of the year.:headbang: (Our 3rd!)

17th C Button
Fossil
17th C Token
Medieval Spur Rowel
1st C AD Fibula bit
Medieval Buckle plate
Dad got an odd broken 3 way strap junction, looks early medieval & not like any I have seen before. Can't find a ID.
Celtic Gold Stater - Minted in France by the Ambiani circa 58BC. Also known as the Gallic War type. Dad & I have had 2 each of this type, the one Dad got early this year miles away was given to the landowners. Depending on how it goes, this one may as well.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 52

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds, especially like the gold. You never cease to amaze me with your finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, especially like the gold. You never cease to amaze me with your finds.

Thanks, I never cease to amaze myself. If there was a nearer field we would have left them 2 as dead.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible. The relics are neat and interesting as usual, but that celtic coin is beautiful.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think admin need to create a second banner for your finds.

It's OK, as Celtic Gold go this a pretty 'common' type. Not that they are easy to find, but I won't vote banner on this one. What amazes me is that we are at one of our furthest away locations & we still get a type that we had 3 times before. Most Celtic Sites will have 1 Gold Stater but very little else, so not a site you would grid with much hope.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, you live in an area full of treasure, and you're dedication and persistence increases your chances of swinging the coil over historical pieces. I am sorry I do not post on all of your finds, but they are totally amazing.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you live in an area full of treasure, and you're dedication and persistence increases your chances of swinging the coil over historical pieces. I am sorry I do not post on all of your finds, but they are totally amazing.:icon_thumright:

This land permission was gained by our 3rd Team member - Land-Mag, so we do the grunt work only after he kindly put us on it.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is another amazing coin there...all great finds in my books...how many gold coins have you and your dad found so far?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys put a lot of effort into the hobby and are very nicely rewarded for it. I'm curious though - you said you might "give" the slater to the landowner. Do they "give" you half the value?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a golden year for the team! Congrats on that Stater! That strap junction looked viking to me before i had a look at it on the group shot. Whatever it is, celtic gold makes it a killer day! :icon_thumleft:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats. I want to be like you when I grow up!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Very Nice Gold Piece you got there!
A BANNER For sure IMO.

Are most of the other items made of Lead or Bronze?

Love the Fossil , VERY COOL , NOW that's OLD.

In the 3rd pic, down , piece at bottom left W/2 Holes & an Iron piece coming out ....What is that ? & when does it date to?
Maybe a Dumb Question but when did they start Combining the 2 Metals?
Thanks
Davers

S

stefen

Still waiting for you to find that elusive buried pot of coins and other artifacts...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys put a lot of effort into the hobby and are very nicely rewarded for it. I'm curious though - you said you might "give" the slater to the landowner. Do they "give" you half the value?

If he wants it, which we don't know yet, then yes, half the value. Although I have no idea how it will go with this one, as he is a fairly new farmer. Not one I've known for years.
PS. every deal is different, because the last one we did 'give' free of charge, as we kept our word about giving the next one to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a golden year for the team! Congrats on that Stater! That strap junction looked viking to me before i had a look at it on the group shot. Whatever it is, celtic gold makes it a killer day! :icon_thumleft:

Thats what Dad thought when he found it. Its just the beast heads are too debased to be Viking Period.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Very Nice Gold Piece you got there!
A BANNER For sure IMO.

Are most of the other items made of Lead or Bronze?

Love the Fossil , VERY COOL , NOW that's OLD.

In the 3rd pic, down , piece at bottom left W/2 Holes & an Iron piece coming out ....What is that ? & when does it date to?
Maybe a Dumb Question but when did they start Combining the 2 Metals?
Thanks
Davers

Mostly bronze or copper-alloy. The item you ask about is an early 1900s turn key for a wind-up toy, I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions