2 New Fields - unpromising but CELTIC GOLD popped out !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We started in the morning on a field we had some intel on about a possible pre-historic site. Although in the morning we had plenty of Medieval & Roman Pot Shards, there was no other signs of a Roman Settlement. Maybe the odd nail, not much lead etc..
So after lunch we moved to the next field, after about an hour gridding over a Medieval house picking up lots of pottery & only 1 Buckle plate we made a decision to check our GPS intel & return to the first field. It was using Archies GPSing that centred on an aerial shot, that was not visible on Google Earth but only gave a 6 fig ref, so it only narrowed it to a 100 metre square.
Once Cru'dad put us in the right general area, we gridded the opposite grid pattern to our previous loose grid search. So as to get the width of the site & not go back over where we had been before. I think it was the second run & bang, my first Celtic Gold of the year.:headbang: (Our 3rd!)

17th C Button
Fossil
17th C Token
Medieval Spur Rowel
1st C AD Fibula bit
Medieval Buckle plate
Dad got an odd broken 3 way strap junction, looks early medieval & not like any I have seen before. Can't find a ID.
Celtic Gold Stater - Minted in France by the Ambiani circa 58BC. Also known as the Gallic War type. Dad & I have had 2 each of this type, the one Dad got early this year miles away was given to the landowners. Depending on how it goes, this one may as well.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 52

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! I have always wanted to go over there on a detecting trip where there was even a chance of finding a gold stater like that. Doubt it will ever happen but I love looking at your posts. Keep them coming. Awesome!

What the trip? Or finding the Gold on the trip?

I know it was top of my list when I started detecting as a kid, after years of nothing I thought them impossible to find. We do the right sites to increase our odds, but anyone selling a holiday saying you have a good chance, is a dreamer.:thumbsup: Mostly its hours in = a slightly better chance. We have had quite a few, not because we target Celtic Sites (these are near bear of finds) but because we target Roman ones instead.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it may look easy, but it isn't. Cru posts his and Crudad's detecting time almost every time. A lot of detecting and the right sites. And even that is no guarantee. I'm happy to see Celtic Gold found while detecting. Keeps my slight hope. :icon_thumleft:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on finding yet another gold coin Cru! :occasion14:
We need you to get two BANNER finds up top side by each.

Love the look of the Medieval Spur Rowel too, kind of looks like something Sponge Bob would use! :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• Sponge Bob.png
    Sponge Bob.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 325

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I never cease to amaze myself. If there was a nearer field we would have left them 2 as dead.

The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I realize that it's important to follow flights of fancy, have curiosity, and investigate sites/fields where others might not go. Just about anything can be found just about anywhere.

Congrats on yet another gold coin. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

Every Good Wish,

Buck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another incredible find! Congratz! FYI, that's a really nice ammonite too! I've got an eye for those as I collect them...I am planning on a trip to hunt ammonites next spring here in my home state of Montana! One day, I'd like to come get one from there!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another incredible find! Congratz! FYI, that's a really nice ammonite too! I've got an eye for those as I collect them...I am planning on a trip to hunt ammonites next spring here in my home state of Montana! One day, I'd like to come get one from there!

I've never been fossil hunting but I look out for them in the fields. This is one of my better ones.

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beaut!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Cru ! It is never ending , Incredible outing yet again - The Ammonite is a nice find too - but these Celtic golds - I'm really
stunned at how many you have found - it seems like they would be a once in a lifetime kind of find . What is your total on these
now ?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Cru ! It is never ending , Incredible outing yet again - The Ammonite is a nice find too - but these Celtic golds - I'm really
stunned at how many you have found - it seems like they would be a once in a lifetime kind of find . What is your total on these
now ?
We have found 13 (includes a plated example). For lots of people they are a once in a lifetime, that if they get one at all. I know many who have 0.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread