Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for at the most two hours today in the woods and my two best finds got me into the Revolutionary War time period.

My first find was what appeared to be a one piece button with some type of writing on it caked with dirt. After rinsing in distilled water I saw USA interlocking letters, it looked familiar, after searching the web I discovered I found the Continental Army uniform button 1777 to 1782.

The second cool find is a very worn KG II copper. By moving around in the light I could just barely make out King George, his head on the front and the outline of Britannia on the back. It's been a while since I've been into colonial stuff. I'm pretty stoked.

Enjoy the photos

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447458942.656411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459509.158878.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459525.515729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459548.227978.jpg

Upvote 63

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Its made of pewter, once it drys out it starts to flake. Not kidding you.
Take elmers glue and thin it down a little and coat it a few times..
Promise it will help not hurt..

He is telling you the truth. Pewter starts flaking once the air hits it. If you search threads here, you will see elmers and water is a suggested method. Can't remember the ratio...might be 50/50 water/glue.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is telling you the truth. Pewter starts flaking once the air hits it. If you search threads here, you will see elmers and water is a suggested method. Can't remember the ratio...might be 50/50 water/glue.

The right ratio isn't important.
Just thin it out so you can brush it on. Dont worry it is reversible.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great looking button, what are the plans in restoration/preserving any ideas? Congrats on the keeper!

I plan on leaving it the it is.

Fantastic!
I highly suggest you coat that button with a elmers glue.
Mix elmers with water. And coat it a few times. Let it dry in between. Or you will see alot of lost in the next day or so.

So you're going to do some preservation on the button.:thumbsup:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer button! :icon_thumright:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Talk about condition!
Rarely will you see many better than that ;it's about as complete as you could ask for for being in the ground for two centuries+ and made of pewter!
Fantastic button find, you should be very proud of that one!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgot to say that the vote is going in on this one.:occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on a great looking example.

Pewter is hit & miss & hard to judge but for the most part the flaking occurs on the damaged edges where the water has got into the structure of the button, this then drys out & flakes causing a knock on effect. As a whole one, you have a 50/50 of that one not needing anything, although I coat in museum wax like the one below (had for years & its still OK). However, as your only example, its worth protecting in the way mentioned.

PS. Had lots turn to dust but they were such poor examples, it was only a minor lesson.

Attachments

• Amazing pewter 43.JPG
    Amazing pewter 43.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my jelly vote in, great save! History right there!
When I voted I asked why we have to say why we think its banner, I don't just vote banner for anything, just seems obvious to me?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my jelly vote in, great save! History right there!
When I voted I asked why we have to say why we think its banner, I don't just vote banner for anything, just seems obvious to me?

Just puts strength to the vote, for example, I'm assuming most will quote its overall condition (Although some might say its history or rarity), as its a button that is posted from time to time but in very poor average condition.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa baby! Very high on my Dream List. That is one of the nicest examples you will ever see. Yep seal that bad boy up and cherish it forever. I've had pewters disappear before I got them home. Vino and I were just talking about these Dream Finds and how incredible it is when the stars line up and you get the condition as well. You my friend just had a lot of stars line up. Congrats on a Banner find. It will look awesome up top, Abe

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Rev War button! Gets the blood pumping doesn't, especially to see what else is in that area.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa baby! Very high on my Dream List. That is one of the nicest examples you will ever see. Yep seal that bad boy up and cherish it forever. I've had pewters disappear before I got them home. Vino and I were just talking about these Dream Finds and how incredible it is when the stars line up and you get the condition as well. You my friend just had a lot of stars line up. Congrats on a Banner find. It will look awesome up top, Abe

Yeap rarity & condition (specially with pewter) is hard to achieve, then throw in the plough & my 43rd shouldn't exist.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap rarity & condition (specially with pewter) is hard to achieve, then throw in the plough & my 43rd shouldn't exist.

Cru one of the nicest pewters for condition and patina I have seen. Thanks for showing that beauty

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude you have been on a roll lately. It's not enough you've been hitting some nice gold, now you come up with a continental army button. Keep it going! Banner find all the way on that button.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe my chances of ever finding a nice pewter is quite low. These crazy Maine seasons with tons of precipation and freezing and thawing is pretty hard on them. Luckily most of my silver coins come out quite nicely for some reason. And the one that really counted was in decent shape. I suppose gold takes all of this out of the equation....as you well know 8-)

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the advice! Much appreciated. I coated the button, looks great, put in a display case to protect it. Reality set in, I'm very excited and can't wait to get back to the woods. The members here are so helpful, Thanks again!!

Andy

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447509643.334391.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447509657.990878.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447509668.446830.jpg

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you have been on a roll lately. It's not enough you've been hitting some nice gold, now you come up with a continental army button. Keep it going! Banner find all the way on that button.

Thanks Don, some of your tutelage had something to do with it!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicest one I've seen dug. Good thing you got it coated as fast as you did, it would have been a shame if it started flaking on you. You've certainly got my Banner vote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions