Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for at the most two hours today in the woods and my two best finds got me into the Revolutionary War time period.

My first find was what appeared to be a one piece button with some type of writing on it caked with dirt. After rinsing in distilled water I saw USA interlocking letters, it looked familiar, after searching the web I discovered I found the Continental Army uniform button 1777 to 1782.

The second cool find is a very worn KG II copper. By moving around in the light I could just barely make out King George, his head on the front and the outline of Britannia on the back. It's been a while since I've been into colonial stuff. I'm pretty stoked.

Enjoy the photos

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447458942.656411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459509.158878.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459525.515729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459548.227978.jpg

Upvote 63

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a remarkable button, you did a great job of preserving it, now it's on the banner. That's the way to do it! Congrats!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finished product really looks great. I think you need to change your avatar. : )

Dude
I agree with Don on your avatar change !
Looks great up top !
Gary

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't realize what you had?! Sounds familiar! Congrats on making banner...and the Elmers glue.

Thanks Scrappy ! Yeah, go figure....... and who knew that so late in my life I would learn a new use for Elmers Glue :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scrappy ! Yeah, go figure....... and who knew that so late in my life I would learn a new use for Elmers Glue :laughing7:

Just don't drop it. Even falling only a few inches can break it... a few feet and you quite likely would have to go looking for another one. Anytime I handle my best buttons, especially the pewter ones, I never hold them in a way they could fall any distance, and usually put a towel or something below... just in case. Getting a display case with the button cups is not a bad idea either as it's pretty decent protection... and helps when you want to hand it to someone to see... or better yet, let them just look in the case. There is no do-overs.

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude
I agree with Don on your avatar change !
Looks great up top !
Gary

Change out Ben, that was my first half dollar!! I guess Ben Franklin himself wouldn't mind since the button is from his time period. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't drop it. Even falling only a few inches can break it... a few feet and you quite likely would have to go looking for another one. Anytime I handle my best buttons, especially the pewter ones, I never hold them in a way they could fall any distance, and usually put a towel or something below... just in case. Getting a display case with the button cups is not a bad idea either as it's pretty decent protection... and helps when you want to hand it to someone to see... or better yet, let them just look in the case. There is no do-overs.

Good looking out IP, put it in a plastic protective gem jar ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447546002.218406.jpg

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making banner. Those buttons are seldom posted, and to see one so well preserved is quite remarkable. Excellent job on treating the button to prevent future flaking. You acted fast to your credit. The buttons looks awesome. I can't imagine a professional conservationist improving upon your work.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your banner find!!! Incredible!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making banner. Those buttons are seldom posted, and to see one so well preserved is quite remarkable. Excellent job on treating the button to prevent future flaking. You acted fast to your credit. The buttons looks awesome. I can't imagine a professional conservationist improving upon your work.

It's not how it looks now, it's how it holds up in 5, 10, 15, 20 years. I did a thin but fairly decent coat of lacquer on mine which did the job for several years, but eventually I started seeing some flaking and even one button that had a hairline crack through the entire bottom. So last Winter I had to do them all again, and this time with a little more generous coat. All that said, his is in far better condition than any of mine, and bet would last as well as mine did with the first coat I had on... but the bottom line is still the test of time.

#justfindbrass :)

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!
That was definitely worthy of the Banner.
Not to many artifacts more Grand then that.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find and banner! Don't find too many in that shape. Hogge

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 43rd button is awesome! You must have been psyched when you found that!!

Congrats on you banner.

I was well pleased with it when I found it & it was one of the few things I was scared to clean.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tip of the hat to you sir!!surely a banner worthy find.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! If you're not digging a GW, this is the next best button to find! :occasion14:

Congratulations on making the BANNER too! :notworthy:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread