Almost struck by lightning, and shot by a soldier.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ok so I posted a few days ago that it was my last hunt of 2007, but I promise it was my last planned hunt, until Baldingboy corrupted me into going last night one Last time for '07.

It was cold, 31 degrees cold to be exact but that didn't stop the two of us from going off on a night time hunt. I met him and we loaded my stuff into his car, he won't ride with me anymore he won't tell me why either but I have a few ideas.

So we started out hunting an old piece of property here in town we had permission to hunt and we found lots of aluminum and nails. I found two pennies and a 1966 quarter. As I was walking across a large open area I got a strange signal and dug out the first item. I have no idea what it is, it has a Lightning bolt on the top. Anyone have any ideas???

We decided to leave and go somewhere else so we headed back to the house where BB had found his 3-ringer. Found the strange oval thing and then the metal item that Idon't know about, the part of the axe head and then got a sweet signal in the nickel-zinc penny range. Dug down about 4 inches and found what I thought was a ball bearing at first. Put it in my pouch and kept going for a while. I decided to take a break and pulled out the ball bearing. After I carefully rubbed off some of the dirt on it I saw the sprue mark!!!! I'm not sure it is Civil War but it did come from the same place BB found his 3-ringer as I said.

Hunted a little while longer and found a 36 Wheat penny and a strange piece of melted metal that when I was cleaning it it broke a little and has what looks like a mirror on the inside of it. I found a piece of metal with some numbers on it that I think is some type of battery. And the first good square nail I have found. It was 1 AM and time for me to go home since my wife had called like 3o time in the last 3 hours and was really mad at me for going hunting with BB. Oh well at least I found a few things.

What do you think? Civil War or not???

Attachments

• all.JPG
    all.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 935
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 922
  • dkkm.JPG
    dkkm.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 927
  • mirr.JPG
    mirr.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 923
  • shot2.JPG
    shot2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 917
  • shot1.JPG
    shot1.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 946
  • shot.JPG
    shot.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 934
  • metal.JPG
    metal.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 936
  • metal1.JPG
    metal1.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 936
  • oval.JPG
    oval.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 940
  • lb1.JPG
    lb1.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 929
  • lb.JPG
    lb.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 939
Upvote 0

MangoKnees

Nov 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm l l
Mastereagle,
I think you had a fun nite. To bad the Mrs. wasn't happy. I hope all is good on that front now. I was planning on hunting today while the wife was working but got a call for work so I didn't get to hunt.
Thanks for posting your fun nite.
Mango

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
ME.
Excellent (last?) hunt of the year. I like that lighting bolt thing. Let me know when you find out what it is. What does the back look like?
Glad you got out.
Tennessee Joe,
PS What kind of tag did BB have on the car this time??LOL

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
No I have to work and then entertain family. Tuesday is of course the 1st day of '08

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
OK I see where several people have read my post here but no one has commented on the shot. Is it a Civil War shot? As I stated I found it in the same place BB found his 3-ringer. So can I celebrate tonight or not???????

Thanks

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The musketball has a good patina and looks like a .69cal. In my opinion, it is CW period since a 3 reinger was found nearby. Good going!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Burdie said:
I would agree the shot is Civil War period but probably not a civil war bullet.
Burdie

Burdie,

Just curious....why do you feel it's not a Civil War bullet? I do know that a Civil War Battle happened right on top of this place. Is this the wrong caliber for a soldier fired round? Hope you are all doing well down there in Kansas. Happy Hunting bro..

Baldingboy

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think your lighning bolt is an on off pull from an old zenith tv or radio. try to find out what caliber the bullet is, it looks a little small for a musket but it might be a revolver round.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The symbol for the old Captain Marvel , a poor copy of Superman was a lightening bolt like that. Shazam! Monty

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Awesome hunting ME and BB...... You guys are true hunters with the intent too find.....!!!!! In the blood isn't it. We still need to set up a hunt where we can all get together and talk of good ole times with Fenderoid!!!!! Nice round ball....

Great finds,

RR

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
According to a detectorist here in town that only hunts for CW stuff it is a 69 caliber Civil War Musket ball, Confederate. He stated that several more including buttons and one Confederate belt plate had been found in the past very close to where I found my item. So I am going to continue to believe that it is a CW ball and that makes me happy.

Now I just need to find some older coins, a seated a Barber, maybe a V and Buffalo Nickel? Well there is always '08!!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would agree 69 cal confederate round ball shot -- if a battle was there it fits the time frame and place ---ps it doesn't have to be way deep all the time --- sometimes things stay shallow oddly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread