28 Tons of Gold in New Mexico???

OP
OP
G

goldfinger04

Marc said:
any idea where the gold came from or what form it was in???

I don't have much more information. I heard the the gold was confiscated by the Mexican government so it must have some Mexican origin. The finder then sued to get it released.

That's about it.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't see how something with such public (or governmental) involvement could have been kept so quiet. I'm sure I would have heard something about this, if the confiscation/lawsuit part were true - that's A LOT of gold.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I thought that that was actually a mine claim that produced 28 tons of gold from a vein that was around a foot wide and six feet tall.

OP
OP
G

goldfinger04

cedarratt said:
I thought that that was actually a mine claim that produced 28 tons of gold from a vein that was around a foot wide and six feet tall.

That could be. Do you know anyplace where there might be some details?

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
You're a little confused on the facts. It is 17 tons and has not been found. I'm from Ma, and have been researching this cache long distance. I'm looking for someone from NM to partner up with. I can bring you up to speed. E-mail me for info.

M

mbrolin

Are you talking about the 17 tons of gold cacheed near the New Mexic mesa Bill Elliott used for a landing strip. This was a cache of four mexican business men speculating that gold would go sky rocket in the US because of the Gold Reserve Act, wich it did from 20.66 to 35.00, an increase of 14.34 per ounc. Being greedy they decide to wait even longer before selling the gold back as a profit hopeing to even make more. But the grace period to exchange gold to dollars expired under their noses, so it then became illegal to own gold. So they couldn't sell thier gold being unlawful owning it. Not much longer the men all died. So now there is no one left who knows where the gold is. The full story is in the December 1975 issue of Lost Treasure.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I remember seeing that on Unsolved Mysterys now that I think of it.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Yeah, that's the cache I was referring to. I made some contacts with people in the area, long distance. The site of the landing strip is known to some. I'm trying to find that info out which will make me on par with everybody else. But, that's a start. I have the original 1968 story, which was later copied in that article.

M

mbrolin

Well, good luck in finding where the air field was. By todays gold prices that cache of gold would be worth $236,748,800 on gold value alone. That would be nice, although the hassel you'd have to go through to sell it all would be immense. It would still be worth finding though.

N

neverfindnothin

i spent quite a bit of time with my radio shack detect. up in the NM mountains and never found nothin'

corncrasher

Jan 14, 2005
Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX
mbrolin said:
Well, good luck in finding where the air field was. By todays gold prices that cache of gold would be worth $236,748,800 on gold value alone. That would be nice, although the hassel you'd have to go through to sell it all would be immense. It would still be worth finding though.
I think that is one problem I would be willing to undertake

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hey Neverfind,

Does that mean you're from NM. You might be my man. Just continue to neverfind until I get there.

GB

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
:) Mbrolin:? :)
If you ever need to sell ANY!? ?amount of, shall we just say, "Finds" ?
I have an infinite source !
No questions asked,? ? :-X
But!? ? You MUST! Promise? ;)? ?to Pay your IRS %? before spending any of it!!
OK?

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
The legal owner would be a tax-exempt trust, which would then pay me an annual taxable salary. I'll contact you if and when the need arises, big dreamer that I am.

jnorevi

Jan 23, 2006
Hello Gang,

Nice to post with ya'll. This too is my first posting on this forum.

I was motivated to sign up because I've read all this post and am facinated with everyone's Point of View. I have one of my own which I wish to share with you.
About 30 miles just West of the Victoria P. and over the range is the small range of the Caballos Mountains. Every so often some one walks out of those hills with a gold bar or two. Perhaps once a year or so you'll hear a new story. But it actually happened to a close friend of mine and I saw the bar with my own two eyes and held it in my hands. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Anyway, I've been hooked ever since and Drive the 14hr. drive from Dallas there as often as I can. I'm always looking for new partners. So, stay motivated guys and keep at it.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
GaBnn3 & jnorevi:
Lots of luck trying' to find a partner on this "Forum"? :-\

I'll email you ... !? ;D
I am heading out there, NM/AZ/Ca/Nv/Utah, this April myself !
I'll be out this year, in The WEST! for 8-10 months!? :P

Attachments

• smalll Jeep.jpg
    smalll Jeep.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8,347

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
The stories that you guys refer to are not the entire story and certainly not the end of the story. We will go no further into the story that what you guys have posted.

I have been to the airstrip area on different occasions as well as the old house, it was more like a small shack and is no longer standing, foundation is still there as well as other trash, ie. bedsprings, cans ect.. This is where the old woman lived that saw the plane land on different dates.

This area sits on a high table land and not too far away, if you drive in a direction you will come to some high cliffs, from which you have a great view of the valley desert in the distance. This is in a direction from the house [foundation] in which the sun does not set.[No I'm not going to give you an X-marks the spot.] :-* Not so far from this place is a rock with a large hole in the top from which one can access the inside from, or you can go into a crevice from the direction I entered to access the inside, once inside you will find some inscriptions relating to the the gold.

Not wanting to create any attention a party rented a backhoe and drove it 9mi.,much as any farmer would drive his equipment along the backroads of the farms and ranches. Upon reaching an area of question a hole or more like a long trench was put down to a depth of sixteen feet. It was then backfilled and leveled. One more suspect area was eliminated from the search pattern.

But its still a great place to hunt and the anticipation and thrill of the chase is what keeps one going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread