03 BARBER QUARTER 1850 LARGE CENT and a merc

broken-magic

Jul 15, 2007
utica NY
Greetings all I finally decided to do a post. I found some items actually worth mentioning. I have an ace 250 and have little knowledge about it. I used it about three times and haven't even read the instruction manual (you can call it lazy). Well my neighbor decided to put in a pool in his backyard and he had a large pile of dirt sitting on top his lawn ( I have no idea at the time why someone would put in a pool in December) so i figured what the heck. I went over and asked him if i could use my metal detector on his dirt pile . He asked if I though i would find anything good, I said most likely not. Well he gave me the OK and I started go over the pile. For about an hour i dug up 1 penny and 6 pounds of scrap steel, cans, nails, pipe pieces and other useless junk. I was about to give up and I had to go around the pile to get back to my house and i decided to detect on my way back and i got a hit i figured a nail dug it up (I have no clue how to read the display) and it was a 1943 d merc. Well as of then, there was no stopping. (By the way the dirt pile was about the size if 3 dumptrucks) to make a really long story shorter ;D I had to eat lunch and when I got back there was a bulldozer taking some of the dirt away. I was like dam, well there was still half of the pile left. So I detected that found nothing, not even a nail. I figured this was the deep dirt from the bottom of the hole so I wasn't going to find anything. Well no sooner that that i got a hit. I was hoping for something awesome and it was and 1850 large cent. I was jumping for joy, literally so loud that the owner of the house came out. He asked me what I found and I said a large cent he said OH, like it was nothing important and I told him that were actually worth something. He turned around and went back inside. (whatever) LOL, well after that it was getting dark and very cold, like 25 or so, and the next day we were supposed to get a snowstorm so this was it. I was on my way back over the pile for the last minutes of detecting and I got another hit, it was very dark by now and I was digging and I could barely see what was in the hole and I was feeling around in the hole and I felt a metal disk, well I pulled it out and was looking at it and rubbed some of the dirt away and I could make out what it was a 1903 barber quarter!! :o woo hoo I went up to the house to tell the owner. I rang the doorbell and he came to the door he said keep what you found and that was it (he didn't even open the door) some people just don't care. Take a look at the pics. :) I Dipped the dime in a coating because i wanted it to have this liquidy look and the large cent was so crusty I took a wirewheel to it (everyone don't yell at me) At least I did nothing to the quarter which i am told is in amazing condition for being in the ground. Well that is all of my rant.

Thanks djabend for taking the coin pics
coins Obv.JPG
coins Rev.JPG
1903 Obv.JPG
1903 Rev.JPG

Upvote 0

poppa19

Jul 22, 2007
western new york
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
awesome silver nice shape on the quarter and dime, just imagine what you will find once you know how to use the detector (lol)

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Barber!

Yeah, snow will melt tomorrow with mild temps coming in the next few days, but you'll be back out again, I am!

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Really nice looking barber. Keep on going.
Tennessee Joe

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GREAT JOB BROKEN-MAGIC,
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. WITH FINDS LIKE THAT THE FOLKS HERE WILL BE SURE TO READ THEM........ KEEP IT COMING BRO..... PACO ,BONEDRYDETECTING.COM

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you plan going back, are they going to haul the dirt away during the snow? I think I would look into where they are taking the dirt with coins like that coming out. Congrats on some great finds!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Perhaps you have to be a detectorist to appreciate such great finds .. as unusual as that sounds.

As for me I found your photos mesmerizing...the condition on the barber ... just amazing. Can you imagine who could have lost that large cent? And possibly lost while Lincoln was still alive! WOW.

You know the ACE probably won't indicate much deeper than about 6" .. you need to spread the pile a bit...Heck..I'd screen the entire pile with 1/2" mesh.

Hope you find more...great photos BTW, Joe

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Great post now go home and watch your ace 250 video, Your wire wheel cleaning method absoulutly cracked me up, I did that with a shield nickle once I just couldent stand seeing it dirty It was so bad I dont think I harmed it much.
I'm sure if it was a high dollar coin somone would have cursed out load by now. Im glad you dident do that with the Quarter though its a beauty.Id give it a VF 20 and worth 35.00 in 07 red book, I bet its worth more than that to you though ;)
Good eye on the dirt pile, your addicted now for sure.

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Yep.........you are hooked now.........welcome to the support group................Beautiful Barber you got there........there's bound to be more in them dirt piles.........Happy Hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions