03 BARBER QUARTER 1850 LARGE CENT and a merc

broken-magic

Jul 15, 2007
utica NY
Greetings all I finally decided to do a post. I found some items actually worth mentioning. I have an ace 250 and have little knowledge about it. I used it about three times and haven't even read the instruction manual (you can call it lazy). Well my neighbor decided to put in a pool in his backyard and he had a large pile of dirt sitting on top his lawn ( I have no idea at the time why someone would put in a pool in December) so i figured what the heck. I went over and asked him if i could use my metal detector on his dirt pile . He asked if I though i would find anything good, I said most likely not. Well he gave me the OK and I started go over the pile. For about an hour i dug up 1 penny and 6 pounds of scrap steel, cans, nails, pipe pieces and other useless junk. I was about to give up and I had to go around the pile to get back to my house and i decided to detect on my way back and i got a hit i figured a nail dug it up (I have no clue how to read the display) and it was a 1943 d merc. Well as of then, there was no stopping. (By the way the dirt pile was about the size if 3 dumptrucks) to make a really long story shorter ;D I had to eat lunch and when I got back there was a bulldozer taking some of the dirt away. I was like dam, well there was still half of the pile left. So I detected that found nothing, not even a nail. I figured this was the deep dirt from the bottom of the hole so I wasn't going to find anything. Well no sooner that that i got a hit. I was hoping for something awesome and it was and 1850 large cent. I was jumping for joy, literally so loud that the owner of the house came out. He asked me what I found and I said a large cent he said OH, like it was nothing important and I told him that were actually worth something. He turned around and went back inside. (whatever) LOL, well after that it was getting dark and very cold, like 25 or so, and the next day we were supposed to get a snowstorm so this was it. I was on my way back over the pile for the last minutes of detecting and I got another hit, it was very dark by now and I was digging and I could barely see what was in the hole and I was feeling around in the hole and I felt a metal disk, well I pulled it out and was looking at it and rubbed some of the dirt away and I could make out what it was a 1903 barber quarter!! :o woo hoo I went up to the house to tell the owner. I rang the doorbell and he came to the door he said keep what you found and that was it (he didn't even open the door) some people just don't care. Take a look at the pics. :) I Dipped the dime in a coating because i wanted it to have this liquidy look and the large cent was so crusty I took a wirewheel to it (everyone don't yell at me) At least I did nothing to the quarter which i am told is in amazing condition for being in the ground. Well that is all of my rant.

Thanks djabend for taking the coin pics
coins Obv.JPG
coins Rev.JPG
1903 Obv.JPG
1903 Rev.JPG

Upvote 0

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I would love to go out every day and find stuff like that!! Looks like you got your fix for a while. 8) 8)

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
very nice diggs

HH DDEII

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
hoosierfinds said:
Very nice coins and VERY NICE photography. Wish my posts looked that good.
DrJoePrime said:
Perhaps you have to be a detectorist to appreciate such great finds .. as unusual as that sounds.

As for me I found your photos mesmerizing...

Hope you find more...great photos BTW, Joe

I guess I did take some nice photos ;D
I just wish more of you guys were closer I would take more.
As for the finds brokenmagic, great condition the snow is melting as we speak.
So whenever you are free, we can hit these spots with my XLT and I can show you how to use
that ACE 250 better, but looks like you got the right idea :D
HH,
Donny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread