Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Knew the story would fall apart soon.What dum A$$'s to doped up to keep it to themself. ;D

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the link, Littledigger.

Course, they didn't say WHO it was stolen from, or when. ?Gee, what is that show? about dumb criminals acts? ?Just recently in Minneapolis they found a guy sleeping in the car he stole! ?Hello!!!! ?Duhhh!

Melnatcat

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keepin a Cautious Eye yet tho.

? We all knew someone would Claim it.

? ?Just the Nature of the Beast.

Did he have Pics, Serial #'s from bills, Not shown in the News ?
Did they Confess ?

? ?Sorry, I never Judge anyone on Looks. ? ;)

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found it in the roof of a barn they were repairing, a cache find never-the-less they just decided to be greedy and crooked.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they? ? "found"? ? the bills? ? "somewhere"? ? but,

I'm an avid coin collector/paper bill collector, as well as a 20+ yr dealer in both, and being that the soil/conditions and climate in Mass. are almost identical to here in MI, there's NO WAY those bills were in a wooden box inside tin cans buried for 100 yrs. in that type of environment.

The rain/snow/frost would have eaten that box alive in a decade and the tin cans would have rusted to dust (along with the bills). Moister in the ground after decades upon decades of rain/snow/frost along with the chemicals/minerals present within causes wood to rot in no time at all, and tin rots to dust.

I've also detected for 20+ yrs, and can absolutely attest to what wood & tin look like in just 10 or 20 yrs of being in the moist ground here in MI, and at the very least, that paper money would have been complete mush at best with the box and cans falling apart rotted to the point of almost "nothing" - if that.

I also blew up the pic, and focused it better, and I can clearly see that some of those bills are in uncirculated condition or there-abouts.

I can also see that they look to have been "purposely" crumpled/folded to make it look like they were stashed in what they claim.

These guys may have found these bills alright (but IMHO - not where and in what they claim).

My guess is in some home they did a roof job on, and after tearing off the old roof, found them while searching the home owners attic.

Maybe this person died recently, and there's no way for anyone to come forth and claim them as theirs or something but, I am 99.9% sure they didn't find them where they say they did, and how they did.

"Just my opinion"

HH

Lonewolfe

Posted yesterday on the 1st thread BEFORE news that they arrested them! Am I good or am I good!? lol ;D

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I believe that the news I was listening to this morning also said that one of the guys had an earlier conviction for counterfitting. I was rushing around getting ready for work but I'm pretty sure that's what I heard.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I knew there was something shady about the whole deal yesterday. When I saw those goofs on the today show I knew it wasn't no dug cache. There was no marker for the cache other than a 2 ft tree. None of the guys stories matched up. It was all to weird. I told the wife last night that it was a false story. She believed them. There roofers. Probably tore a roof off found the stuff and didn't know what to do. After 3 weeks they decided to put all 3 of there brains together and make one. They still couldn't get away with it. I would have told no one and parted with all of it quietly. You get what you deserve if your out stealing. They don't get any dumber than those guys.

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx said:
After 3 weeks they decided to put all 3 of there brains together and make one.

HH Jer

LMAO!!

They put 3 heads together and STILL couldn't make 1 brain!! ;D

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
lonewolfe said:
Posted yesterday on the 1st thread BEFORE news that they arrested them! Am I good or am I good!? lol? ;D

I'm IMPRESSED!!!!!

Maybe we should create a Law Enforcement / Investigators Forum!

:)

M

mystery

hi there fellow ther's.
im new here and this is my first post, i have been hanging out for a while.
i had to reply to this post though. I found a metal box buried in the ground a bout 5 years ago with my md, about 2 feet down i was so exited when i found it thinking (buried treasure) even though i use the box as "my" treasure box. :o
it was rusted with a lock on the front, a lock box of some sorts, anyways i broke the lock, opend the box, lo and behold i found 2 locked diarys all rusted and some dirt in the box and both diarys, i figure them to be from the fiftys.
the dirt was paper rotted to dirt mixed with rust, and i believe it was money at one time no way to tell though now.
so i believe there is no way they found that paper in thier backyard. it would have rotted to dirt and rust long ago. :'(

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I just saw the police news conference regarding this...

It was weird to hear the spokesman say "if they had just kept quiet, maybe moved to another state maybe the would have been able to sell the notes and no one would have noticed and some collector would have been very happy".

Now there's an idea! ;)

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Thats right...I have a book sealed from the light and the pages are getting discolored and very bad as with the back of the book also.Pages are startung to come out..Now that is a definet signal that they where giving a bull story! This book I have is from the 1700-1800'S..So there is no way that that that stuff would be any good!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Old Chinese proverb, "do not show off what is not your's if you do not want to spend time behind bars". Or "Fifteen minutes of fame will get you 5 to 10".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they should be sentenced to go back to School

and Learn how to keep their mouths Shut ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 99% of the crooks don't get caught because of forensics like you see on TV. They get caught because they feel compelled to tell someone. Had they kept their mouths shut and sold off the loot a little at a time we probably still wouldn't know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread