Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday BadJim and I hit a virgin field, first target of the day was a nice semi key 1866 indian, good sign, however the next 2 hours yeilded basically NOTHING but melted lead and little scraps. We took off friday to chill and back at it saturday morning.

First field site netted us a pouch of trash, so we hit a close field site where I had hunted hard over the last 3 yrs, this site has gave up everything from a capped bust dime to modern silver coins. Got 3 common date indians and one flat button, took me to 149 indians for the yr, I was so close I could taste it!

We went across the road, to a site on the 1872 map and I got a 12-30 on my etrac, looked down and right on the surface I saw a small disk that I thought was the dreaded, so often found shotgun shell, picked it up and I was wrong it was a nice flat button, I had no idea what it was until Kyle (Nooberz) emailed me and told me it was a war of 1812 rifleman's button! sweet!

We had to go but were coming back to this site the next day. Sunday we were back, and my first target was a 1904 indian, finally! My 150th indian of 2012, I hit my goal! Picked up a couple more flat buttons, couple mangled rings, one says "friendship" on it, BadJim found a well worn 1829 half cent, sure made his day. From there we hit a quick farm yard to end our day and I got a few wheats, 2 more indians (151 and 152), one is so clean and brown, looks like it was never buried. And scored 2 silver mercs to add to the pile.

I included my trash pile to show you how much stuff I dug in the field on JUST sunday....

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

DSC02910.jpg

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

Upvote 7

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Way to go on meeting your 150 coin goal:headbang: I have dug nine Indian Head Cents in 6/7 years of metal detecting:tongue3: Looks like the best coin of the bunch "1866" was hit by the plow.

VPR

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like you got yourself alot of real nice finds.... congrats on #150 !

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on meeting your 150 coin goal:headbang: I have dug nine Indian Head Cents in 6/7 years of metal detecting:tongue3: Looks like the best coin of the bunch "1866" was hit by the plow.

VPR
yep I thought the same thing, but it is the 3rd 1866 I have dug this yr, so I can live with it...lol, just happy to get indians no matter what shape they are in!

AgIA

Oct 5, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's incredible to hit the 150 mark - congratulations!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was doing good finding my 11th last week. Congrats.

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spectacular job reaching your goal! Great show of coins and buttons

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug 470 indians in 5 yrs of detecting......401 of them have been found in the last 3 yrs since using the etrac

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the button! Congrats on the 150th

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice haul! 150 of anything is a LOT ! A frame of 150 IHPs would look nice.

cmetal

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1812 button

Nice find on that button , I found one just like that about ten years ago alone with a 1817 large cent.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Way to go on all those Indians! You will have to find a different state if your gonna keep your numbers up, there can't be too many more in Ohio! :laughing7: Great looking Mercs and Awesome buttons! :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really good bunch of finds. It looks like you now have a tribe of Indians. Nice buttons and Mercs as well. Congratulations on meeting your goal.
HH
TnMtns

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit jealous. I used to find lots of Indianheads back when I started this hobby. Unfortunately, life got in the way and just didn't have the time to hunt so I got away from the hobby. Since I've been back, (just this year), I've found a few good old coins thru the year, but nothing like I used to back in the day. Maybe once I get this AT-PRO and the researching figured out again, they'll start again.

I'm curious, what's been an average depth for your injuns? How mineralized was the ground?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

HH!

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit jealous. I used to find lots of Indianheads back when I started this hobby. Unfortunately, life got in the way and just didn't have the time to hunt so I got away from the hobby. Since I've been back, (just this year), I've found a few good old coins thru the year, but nothing like I used to back in the day. Maybe once I get this AT-PRO and the researching figured out again, they'll start again.

I'm curious, what's been an average depth for your injuns? How mineralized was the ground?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

HH!
In yards injuns are 5-7 inches, in farm fields they can be anywhere from laying on the surface to 8 inches

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 150 mark Terry! That button, I think, still takes the prize for the day though. All around good stuff!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Indian Head milestone. That represents a lot of hours in the field this year and getting permission at the right places. For me, the button is the prize. The indian head total is nice, but how many War of 1812 era military buttons have you found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread