🥇 BANNER 153 lbs of Silver.

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went metal detectecting in the old silver tailings around here and I got a great signal on the F75. It came in at around 67 on the screen. Oh great another piece of tin i thought to myself. Oh well, dig everything because you never know what it might be. After about 35 minutes of digging and having the hole collapse in on me many times I finally saw the target. It was a nice pink coloured rock. That is a good sign since around here a lot of silver has Cobalt in it. That is one of the ways the miners would find silver veins back in the old days. Anyways, after finally digging it out, I couldn't lift it out of the hole. It was too heavy for me. It was also a very deep hole. I had to get a ratchet strap from my truck and pull it out of the hole. It is so heavy that I could hardly carry the thing over the tailings piles and through the bush. I ended up dragging it most of the way with the ratchet strap which finally gave in and broke apart from the abuse. I ended up rolling/carrying it the rest of the way. When I got home I found out the true weight of it. It weighs over 150 lbs. I still have to clean it up. It has cobalt and calcite in it and I estimate it to be at least over 75% silver. I rubbed it up a little bit to show some of the silver. It still has to be cleaned. :hello2:

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,571
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,364
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,775
Upvote 48

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REAL OR FAKE?

Occasionally a member may have doubts about the authenticity of an item posted by another member. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).

2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.

3. Members are free to express such opinions to one another in private messages, but should NOT continue to do so if those messages are unwelcome.

4. Do NOT report doubts, suspicions, possibilities, or rumors to moderators or the administrator. Any formal report or complaint should be accompanied by full and absolute proof from independent, authoritative sources that the item is not, and cannot be, genuine.

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in censure, loss of privileges &/or access to certain forums, or outright banning from TreasureNet.

All finds posted are presumed to be genuine, and those who post them are to be respected
.​

Sir--I think this post was unnecessary. It's not a matter of real vs fake. Of course it's real. It's a real rock! And total "silver" amount is yet to be calculated, we just don't know yet. Someone else has said if any Joe Shmoe finds a rock with ore in it, or some other raw specimen, should it get banner because of their initial field examination or because board members have done some knee-jerk math calculations and posted them?

I think this should be banner all the way--but it doesn't hurt to raise these sort of questions.

Or you know what would be great? If something made the banner, but the value is yet to be confirmed, it could be put back on the top of the list after appraisal if the member so desires, and could be hi-lighted as such... Just thinking out loud I guess..

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's all the commotion about the "banner"? seems pretty silly to me since having a find in the banner is worth less than the last aluminum can I dug.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's all the commotion about the "banner"? seems pretty silly to me since having a find in the banner is worth less than the last aluminum can I dug.

99% of the things we dig are valueless...but that doesn't diminish the finds that we hold dear...the same can be applied to the banner. It may not have any real intrinsic value but many of us are honored to be featured in such a way...and in such great company. I've been up there 5 times and I was thrilled every time...and will be again should I get back up there!

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
if that rock is 75% silver --- it is 112.5 lbs of silver.

112.5 lbs of silver is worth 62,325!

Holy ****

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i personally think it made banner way to fast nobody even knows how much silver is in it. i dont doubt that it is silver but how much? could be 10 ounces for all we know. cool find just not banner worthy YET .....KEY WORD THERE

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Well said Romeo. I got a couple of boxes of old rusted nails and beer caps, pull caps and general bull€#\\ that I dig and everything has a story and I'm flat out fascinated every time I find one. It's my crack hearing that +92 ziiiinnnnnggg. May your shovel miss all the roots and your detector stay true.

Downstream

Jan 12, 2012
Utah
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like everyone else....and YOU...awaiting the assay results.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even it was only 10 ozs. ,,,,,, still banner worthy !!!!!!!!!!!

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
I'm unsubscribing to this thread. Too many jealous morons trying to bang the black clouds for rain. Go dig your cans and keep kicking them. Love this site and love to dig. Peace

chelifan24

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie here and all I can say is WOW!! What a find!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats and I cant wait to see what your results are! :)

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the positive comments! I really do appreciate sharing these finds with everyone!

I will keep everyone updated with the assay report when it is done. I am only getting the assay done because I want to know. Not because I have to prove anything to a bunch of strangers on a website.

I can understand that many people have never seen raw silver ore before and may question the validity of my post. I'm okay with that. 5 years ago I never knew what it looked like either!

I just got back from the same place I found the other pieces about an hour ago.. Here is another "rock" I found. It weighs about 11 lbs. on the bathroom scale. :) rsz_imag0383.jpg

Please keep this an enjoyable post.

Thanks! :)

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds ! You and Jim have a good thing going ,keep it up . The samples Jim gave me were very impressive ,I am sure those are as well. It was more silver than I have ever found with a detector (after years !) Is it getting cold yet? I would think you are at the end of the season .That sure is a good way to end a season. Hope next year is productive as well.

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would love to see a better picture of the pieces of silver you posted earlier. It is starting to get very cold here. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees but that makes it easier to detect through the bush and possibly find silver float specimens. They are calling for snow in the near weather forcast... I feel blessed to have discovered this place which has not been hit by other silver hunters.. Keep on looking because it is out there waiting to be found. :)

Last edited:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...clip... I am only getting the assay done because I want to know. Not because I have to prove anything to a bunch of strangers on a website.

I can understand that many people have never seen raw silver ore before and may question the validity of my post. I'm okay with that. 5 years ago I never knew what it looked like either!

This stranger here is pulling for you...and you're right I personally have never seen raw silver and find this thread fascinating. I don't think anybody is really doubting you. It's obvious form the first pics that you posted that you are a person who knows what he's doing. Great work!

peace,
cc

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, just wow. I'd be happy to find a 1oz nugget! Is this nugget museum worthy?? I know if I found this the wife would want it mounted on her finger.

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
The F75 reached deep. 4ft? Do you get those signals with smaller coins, that deep? I'm looking for a good metal detector and the fact that it reached so deep is good news. What's the deepest this machine will go?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions