1683 "Santissima Concepcion" aka "El Grande"

L

lockdownking

I started reading on this and found out there was apparently two seperate ships called the Santissima Trinidad. One was used as a war ship and had its' masts broken in a storm. The crew was able to repel one attack from an English ship but ended up surrendering to a second war vessel whose captain turned them in for a reward.
The other Trinidad was a galleon.

Does anyone have a link to the record of what she was carrying in her hull?
A manifest?

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
If this wreck sank by hitting a shoal it should be in shallow water correct. What about ships that get carried out by the gulf stream and are in deeper water? Do the sands shift in deep water like they do in the shallower?

L

lockdownking

Off the Atlantic seaboard of the United States, the Gulf Stream flows at a rate nearly 300 times faster than the typical flow of the Amazon River. The velocity of the current is fastest near the surface, with the maximum speed typically about 5.6 miles per hour (nine kilometers per hour). The average speed of the Gulf Stream, however, is four miles per hour (6.4 kilometers per hour). The current slows to a speed of about one mile per hour (1.6 kilometers per hour) as it widens to the north.
Yes, the sands do shift so therefore if any ships are out there, she be buried!

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An incident involving a US Treasure Salvage Company's search for the Santiago El Grande, was the reason the Bahamian government suspended Treasure Hunting in the Bahamas. Dell

Can you tell us more Dell? It is helpful to understand how others have screwed up before us, so we don't repeat their mistakes in the future.

The ship that is supposedly wrecked in the Bahamas, South of Bimini, is the "Satiago El Grande". I have read that some researchers have claimed this is a fake made up name used by publicity promoters a number of years ago.

However, there are old accounts of Bahamians fishing for, and recovering Treasure on the banks South of Bimini. Capt. Chuck Mitchell, (Shaggy Cannon) and I both found a long deep scar in the hard pan south of Gun Cay, in 22 feet of water coming from deep ocean in a East by North direction indicating a large ship grounded and possibly broke apart and scattered on the Banks.

You may remember on TNET a few years ago a Japanese girl posted she was a professional Pearl diver who was hired by a Ft. Lauderdale, Fl salvage operation that was recovering lots of Treasure in that area in a clandestine operation at night time, periodically changing the name and numbers on the salvage vessel, and running the Treasure back to Florida in speed boats.

Personally seeing the Keel Scar in the hard pan leaves no doubt in my mind that a large heavy, vessel grounded and possibly broke up and is scattered beneath the sands on the banks. Whether it was the Santiago El Grande, I leave that for the researchers to decide. I don't know.

Shortly after the FNM came in to power they issued a permit to a Florida company to search and salvage the wreck of the Santiago El Grande, South of Bimini. The company made a big publicity event, with photos of Gold Spanish Coins and Emeralds that they had recovered from the wreck. When the FNM government requested their share, the Salvors stated they had salted the treasure for publicity to get investors and raise money for search & recovery.

The ousted PLP government had a publicity coup with this and used media headlines to claim that the FNM were taking bribes from Treasure Salvors and was a corrupt government. The new Prime Minister, had an immediate vengeful hatred for ALL Treasure Hunters, and set up a moratorium shortly afterward.

Being a known Treasure Hunter in the Bahamas, and totally unaware of the events that had taken place, Trudy & I flew to Freeport, GB to excavate a land project on private property that I had set up. When I showed my passport at Immigration, alarms went off and I was quickly ushered into an office where the officer was dialing a number, handed me the phone and told me I better pay attention to the voice on the other end. I was told they knew I was a Treasure Hunter, and they were ready to deport me on the spot and ban me from ever entering the Bahamas again. That NO Treasure Hunting whatsoever was permitted in the Bahamas.

We were there to visit a friend who had some influence. I was then told I would be allowed to visit, but my equipment would be confiscated, and returned when I left. ( They wouldn't even allow me to bring in a set of Dowsing Rods)

The PM of the prior PLP government knew me on a first name basis, and the government trusted me to search wherever I wished as long as I informally let them know what area I was going to be in. To suddenly be deemed a criminal by the Government was a shocker Dell

Last edited:
L

lockdownking

Keel scar. Interesting. i/m me Dell, if you can.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread