🥇 BANNER 1700s gold broach, Kings American Dragoons Rosette and other great finds

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1700's gold broach, Kings American Dragoons Rosette and other great finds

Well managed to get the household chores done and got away detecting for a full day…most of the morning was a bust with some research that just didn't pan out, so we go to a good back up field that we wanted to try for some time now. The site started off great with first signal being this Brass Bridal Rosette from the King's American Dragoons, a Loyalist Calvary corp that formed in New York, 1781-1782. then finds were just random drops so we go to a great looking new site and I popped out early signs with pewter spoons pieces and bowl…then what is a hunt without finding another trade axe and a half of one. I then get this pull tab or small lead sound on the machine and sure glad I dug it… a very early 1700's gold broach weighing in at 4 grams, this was from an early french site which also produced this cufflink with silver back glass front with gold inside, I think Iron Patch has more info on it… then out popped a Geo I and Geo II coins…there were 15 early coins popped out today with none being silver…just waiting for next time out…Lots of buttons but no further military ones… also managed a harmonica with wood still inside, jack knife and crushed sheep bell…

Attachments

• Dragoon.jpg
    Dragoon.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,663
  • broach.jpg
    broach.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 635
  • 4 grams.jpg
    4 grams.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,541
  • cuff.jpg
    cuff.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,523
  • Geo 1.jpg
    Geo 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,399
  • Geo II.jpg
    Geo II.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3,516
  • 25Oct2015.jpg
    25Oct2015.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 61
OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you confirm the age of the brooch?

I would say it was from the 1700's because there is nothing else at all in the area indicating anything victorian or newer there, Looking at both front and back it does look period when researched,...have had several guys look at it as well and of same opinion. All coins (15) found were GEO I or GEO II plus many more french items. All indications point towards period...but you make a good point...will research it further and also have it tested as it looks to be around 22K...No hallmarks (thin but weighs 4 grams)

Attachments

• back broach.jpg
    back broach.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 311

TheRelicDoctor

Oct 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Minelab GPX 4500, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it was from the 1700's because there is nothing else at all in the area indicating anything victorian or newer there, Looking at both front and back it does look period when researched,...have had several guys look at it as well and of same opinion. All coins (15) found were GEO I or GEO II plus many more french items. All indications point towards period...but you make a good point...will research it further and also have it tested as it looks to be around 22K...No hallmarks (thin but weighs 4 grams)

Great find! I hope some additional research will further confirm this! Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I missed this thread but what a great day. It belongs on top. My vote is going in.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. that was an awesome hunt! That gold broach is amazing. The Kings American Dragoons rosette is an incredible piece of history.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really great haul, congrats.

Although the brooch is in a late 18th C Rococo style, I think its Victorian revival, but that my best guess. Research it further.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man!! Congrats on an awesome day!! That Kings American piece would get my blood pumping no doubt but I think the find of the day is that beautiful brooch! Probably rare as hens teeth although it would likely get less recognition unfortunately! One hell of a day...thanks for the pm pointing me to this post!

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your opinion Cru, not ruling anything out at this point... Can I ask why you think this? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thats a really great haul, congrats.

Although the brooch is in a late 18th C Rococo style, I think its Victorian revival, but that my best guess. Research it further.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful...

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad they don't give out banners for separate items!:thumbsup: 15 coins......GEEZE! Vote

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The brooch and rosette are both unique and amazing. Hope you can snag an early silver next time.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some very nice finds. The broach delicate, and undamaged beat the odds of a plow strike. looks like it came from the shop yesterday.
I always say dig enough holes something good will be in one of them.

A 15 copper day makes for fun day too.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

Both the broach and dragoon rosette are banner worthy....my vote to follow.

Regards + HH

Bill

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rich assortment of colonial-period finds. I look forward of hearing further on the identification of the gold broach. I think you're on a killer site. Keep digging!

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rich assortment of colonial-period finds. I look forward of hearing further on the identification of the gold broach. I think you're on a killer site. Keep digging!

Hoping eventually for the same coin in your profile :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread