🥇 BANNER 1700s gold broach, Kings American Dragoons Rosette and other great finds

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1700's gold broach, Kings American Dragoons Rosette and other great finds

Well managed to get the household chores done and got away detecting for a full day…most of the morning was a bust with some research that just didn't pan out, so we go to a good back up field that we wanted to try for some time now. The site started off great with first signal being this Brass Bridal Rosette from the King's American Dragoons, a Loyalist Calvary corp that formed in New York, 1781-1782. then finds were just random drops so we go to a great looking new site and I popped out early signs with pewter spoons pieces and bowl…then what is a hunt without finding another trade axe and a half of one. I then get this pull tab or small lead sound on the machine and sure glad I dug it… a very early 1700's gold broach weighing in at 4 grams, this was from an early french site which also produced this cufflink with silver back glass front with gold inside, I think Iron Patch has more info on it… then out popped a Geo I and Geo II coins…there were 15 early coins popped out today with none being silver…just waiting for next time out…Lots of buttons but no further military ones… also managed a harmonica with wood still inside, jack knife and crushed sheep bell…

Attachments

• Dragoon.jpg
    Dragoon.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,663
  • broach.jpg
    broach.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 635
  • 4 grams.jpg
    4 grams.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,541
  • cuff.jpg
    cuff.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,523
  • Geo 1.jpg
    Geo 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,399
  • Geo II.jpg
    Geo II.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3,516
  • 25Oct2015.jpg
    25Oct2015.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 61
OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The right decision! :thumbsup:

Ok, I see he's catching up, not so sure this should have been a banner. ;)

Yup, would love catch up before we shut down for the big freeze but I think you are do soon...besides that blacksmith token you got...which I believe should be on top too...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

Good going on making banner....it's well deserved just one more and you're tied with IP.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats P. on the banner.
I'd still like to hear what your museum guy has to say about the dating of it.

Again no one mentioned the crystal button of which only a couple have been posted.
That was a good day. Wish I could be there when you return to that site as it sounds like a great place.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your incredible find.... WOW!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I had joined this site back in 1999.... pretty sure I'd be higher than 3. :)

Take a look at some of the earliest Banners, qualifications have certainly gone up over the years. I think there were some generic class rings, common seated coins, etc. on there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at some of the earliest Banners, qualifications have certainly gone up over the years. I think there were some generic class rings, common seated coins, etc. on there.

Yeah, and even look at one of mine... a cob. I'm talking I'd have more even with the higher standard... but given how it was I could have been half way to Crusader! :laughing7:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, and even look at one of mine... a cob. I'm talking I'd have more even with the higher standard... but given how it was I could have been half way to Crusader! :laughing7:

Yeah, you've had a few that I was surprised didn't make it up top. Only other one for me that I think qualified would be my cut Pine Tree Shilling. It was certainly a better find than my gold coin. I think Crusader would have over 30, but many times he blocks himself by already having 1 or 2 up at any given time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you've had a few that I was surprised didn't make it up top. Only other one for me that I think qualified would be my cut Pine Tree Shilling. It was certainly a better find than my gold coin. I think Crusader would have over 30, but many times he blocks himself by already having 1 or 2 up at any given time.

I can get to 5 pretty quick, and in my own personal count this one would make it too. At auction a non dug one would easily perform with the 16D value, and it's a far more interesting coin. But I understand this is a pretty obscure find to most, and it makes no difference because I still can't believe one finally turned up after so many years.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just look at the detail work in that piece of gold! :o
I don't know how I missed your original post bud, oh that's right I was out digging beer bottle caps at my local park! :laughing7:

Seriously though, congrats on that amazing gold brooch and on making it to the BANNER for the 2nd time buddy! :notworthy:
Dave

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys...not all about the banner but its nice this site has it for other to see... hope to have more info soon..

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve the Stunner! That is a jaw dropping piece. Congrats brother!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer button man but i must say that Brooch just takes my breathe away:headbang:

I mean so rare and being a personal possession im sure she was absolutely devastated when lost..

Was it a love gift?

Was she beautiful...Questions,questions...

~Blaze~

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great double banner finds! Congrats on the finds and banner! Awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread