Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought two new MDs after having one stolen a few years back. I went out to the beaches here in Flagler County (North of Daytona) and noticed that the beaches have all been dredged back up on shore after the hurricanes of years past had removed most of the sand.

I went down to visit all the beaches mentioned in the 1715 Beach Sites book last weekend, and found them all to be replenished as well. I contacted a gentleman in the DEP, Beaches area yesterday and he told me that over the past few years they have, what they call "Nourished" 850 miles of beaches in Florida, consisting mainly of the entire East coast.

Having run my White's PI Pro over Green Turtle Beach for a few hours, I came up with a penny, a lighter and other misc. debris. I'm sorry to say that this Nourishment program has dumped from 6 to 10 feet of sand over the best Spanish gold hunting beaches in the world.

Does anyone else have any input or thoughts about this? Here is a map that shows the counties that have had the nourishment completed. You can see that it is about 2/3 of the entire state.

http://beach15.beaches.fsu.edu/

You can still tell the beaches that have been nourished by either a line about half way down the beach where the sand consistency changes and/or that the last 10 or 15 feet of sand before the break is wavy, but parallel to the break (From moving the dredge output about 30 feet at a time) or both.

Thanks, Jack

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes the replenishment works in our favor, sometimes not.

As JWI’s work on the Archangel wreck site proceeded, it became evident working close to shore with a small boat was not sufficient. The ballast pile and other artifacts usually found at complete wreck sites were missing, indicating only a portion of the ship (probably the upper deck) has washed ashore. In addition, in a 1995 beach re-nourishment project, a cutter-dredge was used some 2000 feet offshore to rip through the ocean bottom, and then pump sand shoreward and onto the beach through a system of pipes. Following the beach re-nourishment, beachcombers found artifacts (pieces of iron with coins attached, pewter bottle tops, etc.), which were sliced in half, indicating the cutter dredge moved through the Archangel’s scatter trail.

I’ve read in the local papers from time to time about beach shell hunters finding Spanish coins after tons of sand are pumped up onto the beach.

Good and bad I suppose…

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jack,

I live in Flagler County. After this weeks sub-tropical storm the beaches will be clean again. Much of what was replenished has been scoured by wave action.

Go at it!

TE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looking at the area just below the south jetty at ft pierce ------looks good--- seems the sand is gone from R-34 to R-37 so get to it. --------100% loss of sand from the 1999 fill up by march 2002 according to the offical report " has eroded beyond the pre fill conditions"---- old sand== time to dig---;D ;D ;D Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
check the "hot spots"---shown on the page by hooking up those with the map of locations---cha ching--these are trouble spots for them but gold mines for us---they tell you right where to look---were the wave action is wearing out the dumped sand and thus opening up the old sand---its their high wear areas or "hot spots" what a great name---its like having your personal guide to the best spots. thanks to the state.----Ivan

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Daydream,

I drove down to Bicentennial Park in Ormond Beach the other day and DID notice that I could not see the beach from road. Only the waves. I'm going to make my way down to Flagler beach and take a look (and a few sweeps). Maybe for an hour or so this afternoon.

Watching the waves crashing all the way up to the deck of the Flagler Pier was pretty impressive for non-hurricane wave action.

Jack

Daydream said:
Hey Jack,

I live in Flagler County. After this weeks sub-tropical storm the beaches will be clean again. Much of what was replenished has been scoured by wave action.

Go at it!

TE

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jack,

I have been away for a week and have not been to the beach since the storm waves. I watched them on tv from my motel room. I suspect a lot of the sand has been eroded because it wasn't in all that good of shape before the storm.

I did Bi-centennial park a couple of weeks ago and found just a few pennies. Did Daytona Beach the week before and found a Razor cell phone, an earring and some change. The cell phone was dead and I could not revive it. Salt water is a bit rough on electronics. My wife washed and dried one of my cellphones by mistake and I had no problems with it!

Happy Hunting

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Daydream,

I spent a few hours at Bicentennial Park last Friday and again on Sunday afternoon. Found mostly pennies as well. (In the park, not the beach).

I got started at Matanzas for a while but got kicked out when they were closing the parking lot at 8 P.M. I really want to go back there, was working on a deep target in the surf when I got the boot.

I have been working some of Flagler Beach and Ormond Beach, only finding corroded pennies, pop tops and fishing weights.

I just checked out some books on the history of Flagler and Volusia county, may stray inland for a while.

Jack

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
It is true.
The Beaches were piled up with 4 feet of sand. They started in Cape Canaveral and worked south. I did not know until your Post how far they went south with it.
However after a few direct hits from a few Cat 5 Hurricanes things should be back to normal.
Were the 2 box conversion metal detectors ever proven a success? They peer 18 feet below the surface. Coquina bedrock is 16 feet below the surface, No treasure is going beyond that point.
If you are scanning the Beach wreck sites please try the Rivers adjacent to the sites.
This is true.
I was talking to a woman in a laundrymat ,real late night, and she metal detects as a hobby. Her husband is retired MARINE.
Her friend was clamming in the River and came up with a bucket of Gold Dubloons!
Where? Sebastian, Amberson Beach Access across from where the Nuestra Senhorah de le Regla Reyes sunk.
Where I found the Pictograph of her.

Attachments

• TopSide.jpg
    TopSide.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,070
  • TopSide.jpg
    TopSide.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,007

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beach renourisment is a joke. The beaches of Florida and the world for that matter have been coming and going for millions of years. Rich people build on the beach, expensive hotels, ect. then want all tax payers to foot the bill to "restore" their front yard.
Research proves it is environmentally harmful and very short lived. As long as mega money resides at a beach side address you will have the pumps blowing back sand after every hurricane.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
and even worse it screws up the treasue hunting---the govt wants you working hard every day so they can make steady "income taxes" off of you day in and day out--- they don't want a get quick rich person ---cuz then you quit working---and treause hunters are well known with hiding out their loot so to "aviod" govt taxes and red tape--- nothing new there. Ivan

P

paddy.mick

Yes, I hate beach replenishment-shouldn't be taxpayer money that puts sand in front of condos built on moving islands. BUT, I do like to use the inlets-several beach replenishment projects are actually side projects of removing the silting from our inlets (which should be allowed to fill in if we're being completely natural). Sebastian is an example of such a project.
Just another take on it.
Paddy

W

wildman30-40

Hi, I happen to agree with both of you. I don't want to foot the bill for the so called beach waste your money, oops I mean nourishment. No matter what the GOV. does the shore line is going to come and go as has for milloins of years. I've seen the mess they make and there ain't no chance of getten to any of the 1715 goody's washed ashore with 8ft. of trucked in sand from who knows were. AS the quote goes, only a fool builds his castle upon the sand. the last couple of storm seasons prove that.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They just did a beach "renourishment project" here at Sebastian Inlet.I must say that with this project, at least they used sand dredged out of the Inlet to put back on the beaches. It looked like they spread sand on the first 1.25-1.5 miles south of the Inlet. It looks like the same thing is going on down at the Ft. Pierce Inlet as well. All the beaches that I have been on in the Sebastian to Vero area suffered some erosion during that prolonged East wind. Wabasso Beach is probably the most eroded. At least down here they are using Inlet sand to dump on the beaches. There's still a little hope of something showing in the new fill.

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Welcome aboard Ropesfish.
Thanks for the beach info.
Now where the heck is Roseland?
DR

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
;D

Roseland is just across the San Sabastian River bridge in Indian River County. It extends along the south bank of the river for perhaps a mile. The first stoplight in IR County is at US 1 and Roseland Road and, as one might guess, Roseland lies along that road. We've got sand streets, no mail delivery and an aversion to progress. Not a bad place to live.

BTW...my youngest son is just out of Basic Training and AIT at Fort Jackson, SC and is here for a few days so I took him over to Treasure Sands Park to go swimming. It was PERFECT. 2 ft long period swells...no visibility, but lots better than last week when my oldest son..he's in the Navy..was here and the waves were overhead and tried to pound us into the sand.

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
ropesfish said:
;D

Roseland is just across the San Sabastian River bridge in Indian River County. It extends along the south bank of the river for perhaps a mile. The first stoplight in IR County is at US 1 and Roseland Road and, as one might guess, Roseland lies along that road. We've got sand streets, no mail delivery and an aversion to progress. Not a bad place to live.

BTW...my youngest son is just out of Basic Training and AIT at Fort Jackson, SC and is here for a few days so I took him over to Treasure Sands Park to go swimming. It was PERFECT. 2 ft long period swells...no visibility, but lots better than last week when my oldest son..he's in the Navy..was here and the waves were overhead and tried to pound us into the sand.

Hiya Ropesfish

nice to see someone else in the same area on here. My son just returned from 5 years in the navy also, our kids probably went to school together.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the welcome!
;D
I just moved to Sebastian about 18 months ago. I was born in Miami, but was kidnapped by my parents and moved to Kansas as a very small child. I spent most of my first 50 years there raising boys,horses and greyhounds but got a chance to escape to go back to college down here...so I took it! I am studying electronics and mechanical design with the intention to start a company building small ROVs and subsurface instrumentation. I've been designing and building equipment for most of my life, but now I am learning how to make it work the FIRST time-development costs sure shrink when you build it in simulation till it works. ::)
This treasure hunting thing has sort of gotten a hold on me since we swim and dive in the middle of so many proven sites so I'll be lurking around here trying to learn how it's done.

Thanks again.
Bill
(in scenic Roseland)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread