πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1732 8 reale pillar dollar from the 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200614_002543.jpg
This piece was stuck to some rusted iron conglomerate but rang in at 31 on the nox. I was blown away when I saw the date of 1732 !! The absolute holy grail of milled 8 reales....the very first ones 1732 !! Very very very hard to come by. 20200614_111354.jpg I've been trying to find one of these for a long time and searching for them is one of my favorite past times.....if you look at my avatar you'll see a mint condition 1733 pillar dollar....another very rare and desirable year for these coins !! These coins were salvaged from the wrecks of the 1733 plate fleet disaster here in the keys. They were brought ashore to the survivor camps in the spanish salvage effort. This one was in about knee deep water with other olive jar shards rusted iron and even some shipwreck wood !! 20200614_145307.jpg I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough detail to see the date.....Unbelievable !! 20200614_111749.jpg 20200614_163624.jpg 20200614_163648.jpg
It started about 3 weeks ago with a cobb 8 that I got in a large clump of spikes and other rusted conglomerate the coin was in super rough condition and I had no idea it was in side this clump until I broke it apart a few days later. I had no machine at the time and it was pure luck.....but I swore to go back as soon as I got the Eqx back from warranty !! Man did this spot not disappoint !! Olive jar shards iron conglomerate and even some small ballast stone !! 20200614_171632.jpg 20200614_171716.jpg 20200614_171830.jpg
All the stuff in this pic came from the last few hunts.... the spanish stuff comes from one spot and the rest comes from a beach side wreckers camp from the mid 1800 -1920. I love seeing the sail grommets.....when I find them in large numbers it usually means a survivors camp from some wreck or another !! Check out this killer buckle I found yesterday too....its cloisonne and might have been a double buckle....not sure of age on that but I love it.....any other time that would have been my find of the day !! 20200613_195513.jpg 20200613_195453.jpg
Heres some shipwreck wood and a beautiful piece of pottery with a whole island scene on it 20200614_171604.jpg
I cant believe I got a 1732 pillar dollar.....never thought I'd scratch it off the bucket list !!
Good luck and happy hunting folks !!! WOOOO HOOO !!

http://www.keyshistory.org/IK-1733-wreck.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude...you have scratched the surface...keep your site private and go back after every storm.

Thanks uncle mac....I need a storm but not a cat 4 like Irma !! Just a little one...if that's possible.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Bart :occasion16:

You certainly earned it.

It is nice to see some of the crew members with a banner, ( or two ). Still.................I think some crew members have been holding out :laughing7:

If you do find that gold, just p.m. us so we can share your joy, it is NOT "if", but "when" :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you much simon.....im trying to use the excitement of this find to springboard off and really get going this summer...starting now...its time to go and get all my finds and equipment back from the bahamas. 2020 has been a crazy ride....nothing went as planned.....but everything is working out for the better !! WHOOO HOOOO !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200622_215909.jpg 20200622_215833.jpg
You guys won't believe this....looking through my blue and white pot sherds....I found a piece that fits my island scene !! This little piece was picked up at the same spot... but one year ago !! Say what !! I cant believe it but it's a match for shure.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this one....a huge congrats, well deserved you pirate. Now go scoop up a few more:thumbsup:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, great history, great replies, above all that coin is incredible. It's on my bucket's bucket list. Congratulations

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find yet again. Wished I lived there. CG.

I also have a question about cleaning. I didn't understand this sentence, so could you describe what you're doing to clean that coin if you ever get the time? Or point me to any of your other threads that might explain this?
Thanks so much and awesome recovery of history. Those things were huge honking chunks of silver.

" I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough ..."

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1843485 View attachment 1843486
You guys won't believe this....looking through my blue and white pot sherds....I found a piece that fits my island scene !! This little piece was picked up at the same spot... but one year ago !! Say what !! I cant believe it but it's a match for shure.

===========

I just sent you some money Bart, please use it to pick me a lottery number
:laughing7: Maybe we could use the winnings to expand the Rum room ? :tongue3:

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly!! I must have been under a rock for the last 10 days because I'm just now seeing your find!

Congratulations on an excellent find, presentation, followup and banner. (I love the links which have sublinks and more sublinks to get lost in for hours at a time.)
It couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving BANNER #2 Bart, what a beautiful find! :occasion14:
Love the background history too... now that's 'Saving U.S. History' right there!

Dave

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making banner!!:headbang:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this one....a huge congrats, well deserved you pirate. Now go scoop up a few more:thumbsup:

Thanks villagenut.....wouldn't that be nice....just scoop up some more !! Happy hunting villagenut !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, great history, great replies, above all that coin is incredible. It's on my bucket's bucket list. Congratulations
Thank you cheffer...that coin just drips history !! Such an iconic design !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find yet again. Wished I lived there. CG.

I also have a question about cleaning. I didn't understand this sentence, so could you describe what you're doing to clean that coin if you ever get the time? Or point me to any of your other threads that might explain this?
Thanks so much and awesome recovery of history. Those things were huge honking chunks of silver.

" I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough ..."

Thank you hunster54....I'm gonna find a youtube video that shows this cleaning process....its great for silver. this gives you a basic idea of the process....there are quite a few videos of the process...I would watch a handful first a d then practice on some smaller less expensive silver objects. Happy hunting hunster54....hope that helps explain the process !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
===========

I just sent you some money Bart, please use it to pick me a lottery number
:laughing7: Maybe we could use the winnings to expand the Rum room ? :tongue3:

Woooo hooooo....rum for the whole crew....I'm buying !!:occasion14::occasion14: double rations ARRRRGGGHHH !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly!! I must have been under a rock for the last 10 days because I'm just now seeing your find!

Congratulations on an excellent find, presentation, followup and banner. (I love the links which have sublinks and more sublinks to get lost in for hours at a time.)
It couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

Pete...can you believe it man !! I'm still in disbelief !! This coin truly was the number 1 coin on my bucket list. I new the keys is the only place to find one....but never thought I would. Hats off to chuck "shaggy cannon" Mitchell. He really pushed me to hunt this spot....out of all the big time pro treasure hunters here in the keys he really took the time to encourage me, and he really believed that these pillar dollars were here at this spot. And of course my mentor marty meylach for pushing and motivating me to get out there and get them !! Pete....get out there and get a 1715 piece so I can vote banner on it !! Wooo hooo !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on achieving BANNER #2 Bart, what a beautiful find! :occasion14:
Love the background history too... now that's 'Saving U.S. History' right there!

Dave

Wooo hooo dave....high fives for the crew buddy !! Thanks dave and happy hunting my friend !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making banner!!:headbang:

Toe....were neighbors on the banner board. It was an honor to vote banner on your plate....and I thank you for your vote on my coin....wooo hoooo feels good to be your neighbor up there. Pat that geo dog on the head for me !!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow GREAT find, def a find of a lifetime! CONGRATS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread