πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1732 8 reale pillar dollar from the 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200614_002543.jpg
This piece was stuck to some rusted iron conglomerate but rang in at 31 on the nox. I was blown away when I saw the date of 1732 !! The absolute holy grail of milled 8 reales....the very first ones 1732 !! Very very very hard to come by. 20200614_111354.jpg I've been trying to find one of these for a long time and searching for them is one of my favorite past times.....if you look at my avatar you'll see a mint condition 1733 pillar dollar....another very rare and desirable year for these coins !! These coins were salvaged from the wrecks of the 1733 plate fleet disaster here in the keys. They were brought ashore to the survivor camps in the spanish salvage effort. This one was in about knee deep water with other olive jar shards rusted iron and even some shipwreck wood !! 20200614_145307.jpg I'm going slow with 10 foil boiling water and baking soda. Sadly this coin is badly beaten but surprisingly theres enough detail to see the date.....Unbelievable !! 20200614_111749.jpg 20200614_163624.jpg 20200614_163648.jpg
It started about 3 weeks ago with a cobb 8 that I got in a large clump of spikes and other rusted conglomerate the coin was in super rough condition and I had no idea it was in side this clump until I broke it apart a few days later. I had no machine at the time and it was pure luck.....but I swore to go back as soon as I got the Eqx back from warranty !! Man did this spot not disappoint !! Olive jar shards iron conglomerate and even some small ballast stone !! 20200614_171632.jpg 20200614_171716.jpg 20200614_171830.jpg
All the stuff in this pic came from the last few hunts.... the spanish stuff comes from one spot and the rest comes from a beach side wreckers camp from the mid 1800 -1920. I love seeing the sail grommets.....when I find them in large numbers it usually means a survivors camp from some wreck or another !! Check out this killer buckle I found yesterday too....its cloisonne and might have been a double buckle....not sure of age on that but I love it.....any other time that would have been my find of the day !! 20200613_195513.jpg 20200613_195453.jpg
Heres some shipwreck wood and a beautiful piece of pottery with a whole island scene on it 20200614_171604.jpg
I cant believe I got a 1732 pillar dollar.....never thought I'd scratch it off the bucket list !!
Good luck and happy hunting folks !!! WOOOO HOOO !!

http://www.keyshistory.org/IK-1733-wreck.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart congrats that's a pretty astounding piece of history right there! What a beauty of a coin! I can only hope that someday I come across something that is as cool as that!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete...can you believe it man !! I'm still in disbelief !! This coin truly was the number 1 coin on my bucket list. I new the keys is the only place to find one....but never thought I would. Hats off to chuck "shaggy cannon" Mitchell. He really pushed me to hunt this spot....out of all the big time pro treasure hunters here in the keys he really took the time to encourage me, and he really believed that these pillar dollars were here at this spot. And of course my mentor marty meylach for pushing and motivating me to get out there and get them !! Pete....get out there and get a 1715 piece so I can vote banner on it !! Wooo hooo !!

Thanks for the wishes on finding some myself. Your enthusiasm is definitely contagious!! I'm all in. (And all those little nuances to searching and what to look for are appreciated more than you know.)

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Blak bart
Thank you and I watched quite a few of those videos from your link and now into my 4th hour of watching the mating rituals of sea urchins.
HOW THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Anyways, great find and informative stuff about baking powder.
Wish I were down there.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree! This Find and stuff, deserves a Banner vote...., after the fact...!
Congrats, Bart...!

1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This truly is something absolutely spectacular! You provide such motivation to get out there and hunt for things we never thought would be possible to find. It’s find’s like these and people like you that make people like me want to continue researching and hunting for those hard to find spots. Truly appreciate all of the research that you do and these incredible finds you continue to share with this group. I will have a cocktail in your honor and hope to find myself searching in the Keys in the near future as I am just a short drive down. One thing I think goes without a lot of mentioned these days but having a good mentor is something to truly treasure itself. Congrats BB and cheers to many more finds!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats just too cool. Great finds

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congratulations on the banner!

Thank you aureus....and thank you RJGMC....Its definitely an honor for this coin to be up there....my name is counted with the very few that ever found one !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the wishes on finding some myself. Your enthusiasm is definitely contagious!! I'm all in. (And all those little nuances to searching and what to look for are appreciated more than you know.)

Pete its truly my honor.....hopefully one day I'll get to meet you on the treasure coast for a hunt !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Blak bart
Thank you and I watched quite a few of those videos from your link and now into my 4th hour of watching the mating rituals of sea urchins.
HOW THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Anyways, great find and informative stuff about baking powder.
Wish I were down there.
Haaa haaa....ya that happens to me too hunster54....glad you enjoyed....happy hunting my friend !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! This Find and stuff, deserves a Banner vote...., after the fact...!
Congrats, Bart...!

Eyemustdigtreasure.....thank you my friend....I always loved your treasurenet name....
I must dig treasure also !! Happy hunting and good luck out there !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This truly is something absolutely spectacular! You provide such motivation to get out there and hunt for things we never thought would be possible to find. It’s find’s like these and people like you that make people like me want to continue researching and hunting for those hard to find spots. Truly appreciate all of the research that you do and these incredible finds you continue to share with this group. I will have a cocktail in your honor and hope to find myself searching in the Keys in the near future as I am just a short drive down. One thing I think goes without a lot of mentioned these days but having a good mentor is something to truly treasure itself. Congrats BB and cheers to many more finds!!

1happyhunter....that's one of the nicest and most flattering responses I've ever got !! Thank you very much ! If I can make one person get excited to hunt a little harder and stay out there a little longer then I truly feel like I've contributed something to this great hobby. Positive remarks and kind words help to motivate me too !! Thank you sir and I toast in return your success and continuing good luck..:occasion14:..when your headed this way please give me a heads up with a PM....would love to meet up !! Thank you again for the kind words my friend !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats just too cool. Great finds

Woooo hoooo !! tamrock...definitely the coolest...most valuable...and rarest coin I've ever found....thank you my friend and good luck and happy hunting !!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congratulations on that banner treasure coin that truly is a big time find

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that big silvery white whale! The other finds are nice too :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congratulations on that banner treasure coin that truly is a big time find
Thanks mark...its been great hunting bottles and treasure with ya !! Remember the day we found the silver bar !! NOT !! LOL !! Maybe next time it will be !! Thanks for the hospitality my friend !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing treasure! Congratulations on some epic finds!!!

Thank you silvermonkey....I have to pinch myself still....it truly is amazing treasure !! Happy hunting !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread