1739 Spanish Silver

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this morning for a hunt at the sawmill site that gave me my first 1680's Charles II Irish Halfpenny earlier this year, this site is old, even for my area. I hunted about an hour or so in the hot white open sugar sand with only a piece of buckshot to show for it, so I decided to do some old sandy road walking towards the nearby river.

I no sooner got on one rarely used sandy road and got a pretty good high tone on the detector. I dug and I dug, I kept spreading the sandy loam out and the darn signal kept on evading me, that is good, since when that happens it means small silver and yes, that is exactly what it was.

To my delight I finally saw the small disc laying in the sand and new I either had a half dime or half real. Well, was not sure of what Real it was until I got back to the truck and than I saw the Pillar and new it was an oldie. 1739!!! That by far is my oldest Half Real I ever have found by over 32 years! It was the first Pillar type Half Real, which will go nicely with the couple 1 Pillar Real I have and the one 2 Pillar Reale.

Both my son and I over the years have done pretty good on walking the old dirt roads and getting random drops but in recent years that has not been happening. I believe the last random road find we have found was my son's counterfeit Copper 2 Reale. Anytime we find a road find like that, we always scour the area on both sides of the road in hopes of a work area or homestead, no such luck today.

Don

Attachments

• Site230a.jpg
    Site230a.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 934
  • 1739 HalfReal.jpg
    1739 HalfReal.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 927
  • 1739HalfRealDateside.jpg
    1739HalfRealDateside.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 926
Upvote 0

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find ....i love those old walking trails ....you never know whats hidding in the ground ....i shocked your hunting the woods so early don ......just thinking about chiggers scares me ....great job . hope to get all southern NJ guys together for a hunt this fall .........AL

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the milestone Don :headbang:

Great coin and pictures to :o

SS

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... Great find! You always seem to find some great spots to hunt. Congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to better yourself, very nice, & still on my list :icon_thumright:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don,

Awesome 1739 you dug there! You have my oldest silver beat by 7 years. I bet this has your passion boiling even more. Congrats once again!

Kirk

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don, you almost nailed one of those elusive pistareens. I believe the last year they minted them was in 1738. I think your 1739 Milled Pillar is much more special, though. This is the first time that I've seen a 1739 Milled Pillar on this forum and the other relic forums that we post on. :headbang:

GREAT find and it is nice to see you entering the hot Colonial zone this September. :headbang: If your recent finds -- solid silver cufflinks, 1809 half cent, and now this half real -- are any guide to what you are going to dig this fall, I think we are all in for a real treat on this forum!

Kyle

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
WOW !! The old silver is what I dream of finding. Someday an old real will end up under my coil :wink: Until that day happens I will just drool over yours if you dont mind ;D

Congrats on yet another GREAT find, VPR

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Fantastic find, Don!! :icon_pirat:

Nana :)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post. Congratulations on finding your oldest half real. I really appreciated your first photo, it really helps me understand the type of sites you are finding all the oldies. If you don't mind me asking, how far are your sites from populated areas? Are you hiking great distances before you pull out the coil?

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I'm happy for you Don. That is one great find being so close to a Pistereen. I found a 1752 1 Real this year and yours is even older. I'll bet your bloodpressure was up when you realized that the reading you had was probably a small silver. I'm sure you will be regalling us again soon with something that will peak CKK's interest. :icon_thumleft:
Chris

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I'm happy for you Don. That is one great find being so close to a Pistereen. I found a 1752 1 Real this year and yours is even older. I'll bet your bloodpressure was up when you realized that the reading you had was probably a small silver. I'm sure you will be regalling us again soon with something that will peak CKK's interest. :icon_thumleft:
Chris

I was actually hoping it would be an early half dime over a half real, but was very happy it was my first Pillar Half Real. I have a few Pillar Spanish coins, but did not have the Half Real. I also do have a Pistareen, found one of them back in 2001 at one of my best spots for detecting ever. It is a 1726 Phillip V Cross One Real.(Pistareen). I just checked my son's finds record and he has me beat on Pistareens, a 1721 One Real and a 1737 2 Reale!

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread