1769 Counterfeit Hibernia Irish Halfpenny, KG III, Colonial Cuff Link

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a little help with identification. My first time out hunting in about 4 months. I've been down and out with Mono and haven't had any energy. Went to an 18th century, colonial homesite which we think might have been a tavern at some point in time. My buddy found a Vermont copper today, which was pretty exciting. We've found 6 coppers so far at this site. Today, my first find was what appears to be a Hibernia, but I don't know much about the coin. The date appears to be 176? and has George III on the obverse. My second copper is either a KG II or III, but I'm not sure. Finally, I found a very old button which I'm guessing dates to the latter half of the 18th century since everything else at the site seems to date to that period. I would appreciate it if anyone could chime in with more information on identification. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,106
  • IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_3852.jpg
    IMG_3852.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 921
Upvote 2
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Don in SJ said:
Agree with IP in the nice counterfeit Irish KGIII Halfpenny and most likely a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny, the button I believe is part of a octagon shaped cufflink, love the design and most likely closeby will be its twin perhaps with the link attached.
Don

Don...Thanks for letting me know it is a cuff link and not a button. It has a very similar design to the silver cuff links you have on the banner. I will definitely have to go back and search for the match.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old coppa hope to see more WTG.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

pjroo33 said:
Don in SJ said:
Agree with IP in the nice counterfeit Irish KGIII Halfpenny and most likely a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny, the button I believe is part of a octagon shaped cufflink, love the design and most likely closeby will be its twin perhaps with the link attached.
Don

Don...Thanks for letting me know it is a cuff link and not a button. It has a very similar design to the silver cuff links you have on the banner. I will definitely have to go back and search for the match.

Nice cufflink :thumbsup:
I am still excepting donated cufflinks for my collection.Noboby has donated yet :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
You could be the first one :laughing9:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.

I have a 1773 Hibernia which was an error on the counterfeiters part because they weren't made that year. The best counterfeits tend to be ones that are a strange mix and match, throw in an American die and the value can go through the roof.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:

BW

I have a 1773 Hibernia which was an error on the counterfeiters part because they weren't made that year. The best counterfeits tend to be ones that are a strange mix and match, throw in an American die and the value can go through the roof.
I LIKE COUNTERFEIT GEORGIES! Especially 1783, 25-83A ones!! :o :laughing9: ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:

BW

I LIKE COUNTERFEIT GEORGIES! Especially 1783, 25-83A ones!! :o :laughing9: ;D

I'm sure JR is taking good care of it! :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some looking coppers there :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is what this hobby is all about. Those Colonial digs have my Colonial passion soaring at a high!

Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the cuff the best :icon_thumright:

CDNEire

Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but why was that 1769 Hibernia halfpenny considered counterfeit right off the bat? I know someone with one where the print is easier to read and not as worn as this OP's, so the "Hibernia" is easily read.
I'm new to this and just curious as to how you knew that was a picture of a counterfeit.

Thanks to Don for those sites, too! Though unfortunately the last one doesn't work now.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but why was that 1769 Hibernia halfpenny considered counterfeit right off the bat? I know someone with one where the print is easier to read and not as worn as this OP's, so the "Hibernia" is easily read.
I'm new to this and just curious as to how you knew that was a picture of a counterfeit.

Thanks to Don for those sites, too! Though unfortunately the last one doesn't work now.

If you look at a few examples of the 1766 or 1769 Irish Halfpennies you will see the style of the kings head is quite different than the coin posted here. That's the most obvious reason at a glance.

CDNEire

Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at a few examples of the 1766 or 1769 Irish Halfpennies you will see the style of the kings head is quite different than the coin posted here. That's the most obvious reason at a glance.

Thanks! Appreciate the information. 8-)

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeit or not, these are some really cool finds. Thanks for sharing, and good luck on future hunts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread