1778 Spanish Silver Half Reale...in Indiana.

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I was out on a hilltop on an Indiana farm field at 6:30 this morning. By 6:45, I had this laying in the bottom of a 3 inch hole.

All I can say is wow wow wow. We don't find too many of these in Indiana. (to my knowledge)

Didn't even clean it yet - couldn't wait to post it.

Presenting......my oldest found coin:

reale.jpg

Thanks for looking & Happy Hunting!

~Indiana Digger~

Upvote 0

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Just some background history to go with your coin you might enjoy. Spanish merchants in Texas were still mounting expeditions to exploit new trade routes throughout North America as late as the early 1800's. These lesser known expeditions were not funded by the King of Spain (So no historical record in Seville), but some were quite large and very well equipped. The extent of these later explorations is somewhat controversial. Although some experts believe the Spanish may have traded as far as present day Washington State and Michigan. I've also heard Kansas mentioned as a boundary for Spanish exploration and trade.

Contrary to popular belief, Spanish soldiers in North America usually didn't fare well against attacks by Plains Indians. Many were slaughtered. According to de Vaca's account, an Indian could hit a man on horseback at 200 paces with a bow. At half that distance, they could deliberately miss hitting the armor. (I know, sounds impossible) de Vaca's words not mine. He added Spanish muskets and cannon were useless against Indians and recommended fighting them from ravines or canyons when possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread