1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!! UPDATE!!! SOLD!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
UPDATE
I went to the Coin show in Baltimore today. I spoke to maybe 30
dealers. The 1784 and the two other large coppers (1771 and 1776) that were found at
the same site within a short period of time were purchased
by a dealer for a "handsome price"! Cruising around the show I happened by the same
dealer who grabbed me out of the isle to introduce me to a man that bought all three
of my "collection".
The gentleman proceded to ask me for my phone number so that he could interview me
later about the "wonderful collection of imitations that came from one yard". He seemed
VERY excited and told me that the numismatic society should "work more closely with
Metal Detecting Community in order that these kinds of finds with stories could see the
light of day and be shared with all as a genuine History recovering operation".
Just a note.... I Cleaned all three of the coins, and both the dealer and the buyer were
extremely happy with the end results after seeing the "before" photos. I thought I had
screwed up by cleaning them, apparently not.
I highly recommend these types of shows for us detectorists. I learned so much from
almost everyone I spoke to.

UPDATE....
I contacted several auction houses in regards to this coin and after viewing the coin
the estimated price for the coin varied but averaged in the $1000+ Range. SHWEEEEET!!!
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.
I know that this is not a big deal to most, but it is to me.
Thanks for all the comments and messages!!!

Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

All cleaned up.

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Hey Ty.......Have you got any word or an update on the counterfeit yet? That's gotta be killing you man.Keep us posted :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Joe, waiting for the return calls is tough!

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

What a BEAUTIFUL coin !!!!

Congrats on the BANNER find :thumbsup:

D.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:wink: I hope you do well with the coin. The Vlack 14-84A is a special coin, since it has generated a lot of interest amongst colonial collectors with its unusual design, and originally thought to be a Machins Mills, but I believe that has now been debunked. The debate now is if it is a American made or British made counterfeit.
I posted over a year ago a clipped planchet coin that apparently after being studied was made by the same person with the same letter die punches. I am anxiously awaiting the results of a detailed analysis of this variety of counterfeits. My coin is only one of two and possibly three known, so I am keeping an eye out for finds being posted to see if more show up. I recognized your Vlack 14-84A immediately by its distinctive look. So glad you found one in such decent looking condition. Again good luck with whatever you decide to do with your find.

Don

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

AWESOME FIND! I have found a Virginia Plowshare coppa here in Michigan. It is a copy, But Depending on who made the copy, it may be worth more than the original coin. I don't know how to find out who made this coin. The word copy can only be seen with a 10X loupe, letters are only about 1/64" tall. Once again, Congratulations on the AWESOME find!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
:wink: I hope you do well with the coin. The Vlack 14-84A is a special coin, since it has generated a lot of interest amongst colonial collectors with its unusual design, and originally thought to be a Machins Mills, but I believe that has now been debunked. The debate now is if it is a American made or British made counterfeit.
I posted over a year ago a clipped planchet coin that apparently after being studied was made by the same person with the same letter die punches. I am anxiously awaiting the results of a detailed analysis of this variety of counterfeits. My coin is only one of two and possibly three known, so I am keeping an eye out for finds being posted to see if more show up. I recognized your Vlack 14-84A immediately by its distinctive look. So glad you found one in such decent looking condition. Again good luck with whatever you decide to do with your find.

Don

Thanks for clearing that up. After you posted the link I almost corrected a post soon after calling it Machins Mills but then the link with the sale went on so I did not know what to think.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

tymcmurray said:
UPDATE....
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.

Tym,
While luck certainly has something to do with a find like this, it is obvious that you had done enough research to know where the "good stuff" might be found.

My motto is "The more research you do, the luckier you get".

Congratulations again on a once in a lifetime find!

Neil

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Spectacular, Ty! That is quite a rare find!! Are you going to sell it, being that it has an appraisal value over $1000? I'm not sure if I could part with such a rare coin find!

Hey, are you the guy that uses the dowsing rods occasionally? I remember someone with your, or similar, user-id talking about finding coins with his dowsing rod. :icon_scratch:

Congrats again.

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Don in SJ said:

Don

Don, I GREATLY appreciate your watchful eye and helpful advice!!!
Good luck with you coin.
Please let us know how things go.
Thanks again!!!!

1962Vdub

Feb 1, 2008
H-town MD
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

VERY NICE TY WAS THAT IN HAGERSTOWN. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Congratulations. Very informative post. That is a find that many of us would have never seen if you had not found it.

KG6YLL

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What an awesome find T-Mac. No way I could part with that baby. :D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's pretty sweet Ty.....Not gonna ask how much you got but I thought it was pretty RUDE to have the Heritage people ask you to come all the way there and then to pretend like you never existed :icon_scratch: If you're happy with it Buddy,that's all that matter's :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Ty! :thumbsup:

Nana

treasurefiend