***1793 CHAIN CENT*** A SWEET 7 COPPER DAY!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even know where to start Frank picked me up & we headed back to a cellar hole that produced last time there (Roger got 2 nice Ct coppers ,frank got a nova constellatio & i dug a Ct & a 1722 french coin.
Today was no exception right off the bat Ct's started poppin, then a 1793 chain cent! a few more coppers.frank got a KG then i got the shoe buckle.after hours there we decided to hit another site we just eyeballed on side of road.another shoe buckle this one being iron and a 1807 draped bust LC. what a day!
kinda afraid to clean this chain cent anymore.has blackish gritty gunk on it.any suggestions or should i submit this to be professionally cleaned and slabbed?
also frank dug this cannonball.could this thing be live?notice the hole in center?
so all in all i dug 3 CT coppers,1 draped bust,1 chain cent & 2 smoothies.the 1793 is the rarer variety with AMERI in legend.

Attachments

• SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6,277
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6,064
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6,088
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6,188
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 6,170
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,177
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6,505
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6,217
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,258
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 6,057
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,052
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6,081
Upvote 5

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :o

Attachments

• Picard_full_of_win.jpg
    Picard_full_of_win.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 299

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
Iron Patch said:
Ted Mac said:
Also, who's property was it found on.

In the future please remember not to ask me this question. :wink: (you won't like the answer)

The question isn't for me. Seeings how I've never found anything worth much more than a pulltab, "what happens when something like this is found?" I mean everyone is always congratulating people when they return rings to their owners. How is this any different? If that was found on someones property other than the guy who found it, shouldn't that person be notified? And maybe Dave did, I don't know. But what is the protocol?

Ted

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allen said:
Congrats on the banner and on that gorgeous chain cent !!!!
thanks Allen! :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: What a hunt! :notworthy: :o Way to go! What a great looking place to be hunting! :icon_pirat:

Many congrats to ya!!

Nana :hello:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, That is a dream hunt for sure! So much history .

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ted Mac said:
Iron Patch said:
Ted Mac said:

In the future please remember not to ask me this question. :wink: (you won't like the answer)

The question isn't for me. Seeings how I've never found anything worth much more than a pulltab, "what happens when something like this is found?" I mean everyone is always congratulating people when they return rings to their owners. How is this any different? If that was found on someones property other than the guy who found it, shouldn't that person be notified? And maybe Dave did, I don't know. But what is the protocol?

Ted
If the question isn't for you? then who's askin?
Ted i don't know what to say? the owner of this coin is 6 feet under so returning it to him is outta the question. Mr.Smith owner of the property is 85 and said knock ourselves out.should i go up to mr. smith and say i dont want this coin and shove it in his pocket and run?
This is much different than returning a lost ring. Mr. Smith isn't a descendant of the original owners of this property.
Now,if he was then it would be a whole different story

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
sentimental objects being returned is one thing, an item this old is finders keepers unless an arrangement was made with the landowner before the hunt began. everyone wants in on the lotto win they would have won if they had stayed in the lotto pool at work

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hogge said:
I have NO idea why someone would go and "blat" about who's property it was on. There is always someone on this site with a "Felix Unger" comment. ::) Personally, I wouldn't send the coin out to be preserved or slabbed. We have this discussion all the time. Unless it was a coin like "Continental Currency" that has to be authenticated. This is a coin, that if Dave wanted to sell, would be good candidate for a Heretige or Stacks auction. You get alot of exposure and alot of BIG collectors after it. Real collectors, like to examine the coin,"in the metal", NOT in some plastic case. It's a real beauty, and in great shape for a dug, RARE, copper. On the other hand.......As in the case of my 25-83A.......I got shafted at the auction. Should have taken the $5.000 as I was offered. BUT....then again.....There are more collectors that would be after this Chain Cent, than were after my CFT., as there was a small collector community for my type of coin. CONGRATS AGAIN Dave, I WANT A HIGLEY TOO! We are both in a spot where we may be able to dig one! I hope I get one before you.....you lucky $%&^$$#@*&&@@! :thumbsup: :laughing9: :notworthy: Hogge
thanks Hogge! what's a CFT?

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is the third Chain Cent I have seen on this site.

Wow! If I found one of those I would probably crap a cannonball!!

Congratulations! Awesome!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
hogge said:
I have NO idea why someone would go and "blat" about who's property it was on. There is always someone on this site with a "Felix Unger" comment. ::) Personally, I wouldn't send the coin out to be preserved or slabbed. We have this discussion all the time. Unless it was a coin like "Continental Currency" that has to be authenticated. This is a coin, that if Dave wanted to sell, would be good candidate for a Heretige or Stacks auction. You get alot of exposure and alot of BIG collectors after it. Real collectors, like to examine the coin,"in the metal", NOT in some plastic case. It's a real beauty, and in great shape for a dug, RARE, copper. On the other hand.......As in the case of my 25-83A.......I got shafted at the auction. Should have taken the $5.000 as I was offered. BUT....then again.....There are more collectors that would be after this Chain Cent, than were after my CFT., as there was a small collector community for my type of coin. CONGRATS AGAIN Dave, I WANT A HIGLEY TOO! We are both in a spot where we may be able to dig one! I hope I get one before you.....you lucky $%&^$$#@*&&@@! :thumbsup: :laughing9: :notworthy: Hogge
thanks Hogge! what's a CFT?
Counterfeit.....abbreviation

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Incredible! Mind-blowing!! I could go on...

Congrats on a stellar hunt. I'm truly speechless!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just happen to pop into Tnet for a moment to see what is going on and what do i see ....Chain
Cent! Ok ....Now i have already left a thread on this post.....But is worth another buzzzzz. That is by far the best coin found in this site since the "Half Disme".....Its an amazing coin to find and in such great Condition!

Im am interested in one thing though, the site you found it. Was it in a rural area (country,wooded) or close to town... ? Thanks John

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
animal said:
Youre killing me overhere! Banner for sure.
thanks Mike! This coin has already been on the banner and is long gone off the banner :laughing7: what were ya doin sleepin all this time?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
Ted Mac said:

thinking the same thing :angry7:

Not a good idea. That's like asking a prospector how much gold he's finding. >:(

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...so awesome... Most hunt a lifetime to find 1 large copper and you have found nearly 300?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread