***1793 CHAIN CENT*** A SWEET 7 COPPER DAY!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even know where to start Frank picked me up & we headed back to a cellar hole that produced last time there (Roger got 2 nice Ct coppers ,frank got a nova constellatio & i dug a Ct & a 1722 french coin.
Today was no exception right off the bat Ct's started poppin, then a 1793 chain cent! a few more coppers.frank got a KG then i got the shoe buckle.after hours there we decided to hit another site we just eyeballed on side of road.another shoe buckle this one being iron and a 1807 draped bust LC. what a day!
kinda afraid to clean this chain cent anymore.has blackish gritty gunk on it.any suggestions or should i submit this to be professionally cleaned and slabbed?
also frank dug this cannonball.could this thing be live?notice the hole in center?
so all in all i dug 3 CT coppers,1 draped bust,1 chain cent & 2 smoothies.the 1793 is the rarer variety with AMERI in legend.

Attachments

• SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 020.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6,277
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 043.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6,064
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 026.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6,088
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 027.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6,188
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 022.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 6,170
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 021.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,177
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 012.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6,505
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6,217
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,258
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 028.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6,081
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 045.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,052
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 044.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 6,057
Upvote 5
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Dave, make that two Rare Conn coppers! One of the CT collectors from C4 (Colonial Coin Collectors Club) verified my first attribution and gave the variety of the 2nd CT you found. The third one, can you post a clearer photo of Obverse and Reverse or email me one and he will try and get that one also.
Again, congrats on a super day!!

1787 CT is a Miller 33.44-W.3 a low Rarity 6....

Don

Added: Probably one of the best one day finds for rarer coppers I have ever seen. Out of curiousity, would be nice if you could work on those two "blanks" to see if you can at least ID what they were.
thanks Don and Ip! so a r-6 is like 17-32 known? is this about right? dang! i tried on the 2 smoothies nothing,totally wiped out and devoid of any details.i will try to get a better shot of the 3rd CT now

the front is a lot better than the back.tough to get a good pic of the back.it's pretty beat

Attachments

• SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 054.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 054.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4,143
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 053.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 053.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,141
  • SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 052.jpg
    SEPT 8TH CELLAR HOLE1793 CHAIN CENT 052.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4,134

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the coppers and especially the Chain Cent! I can't wait to leave the beaches and head back to the woods!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jUST wanted to remind you that...................YOU SUCK! and I'M NOT JEALOUS!!!......HAHAH.....nahh...I'll even say it on here to Dave, I'm very happy for you....

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
foundation hunter said:
Dave your going to have to open a museum SOOOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERES NOTHING LEFT FOR YOU TO FIND
Happy Hunting Gary
thanks! i still want a nova constellatio! or a higley copper! :thumbsup:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's it, no more lawns and parks and playgrounds and such for me. I'm getting back to tree roots. Congratulations HEAVYMETALNUT!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, you have really been on a roll but this post is unbelievable!!! Congrats on the well deserved banner. Those are some rare coins. This may be your best year ever and you still have the Fall to go!! WTG, Quindy.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o
has anyone used this method? sounds kinda harsh if ya ask me :icon_scratch:

Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
i just received this e-mail from a coin conservation expert down south.kerosene???? :o

Wow, how lucky can one man be. You dug up a really good find for sure, even in this grade you have about a $10,000 coin.

Congrats

Ok,,,,let me start off by saying that corrosion is a bad damage to try to correct.
If any one tries to remove the corrosion me, you, anybody. A lot of detail could be lost. Corrosion is like a Cancer and it eats deep into the coin.

Some customers like to keep the coin as is and just try to stop the corrosion by treating the coin with kerosene, just soak it and let it soak into the corrosion. This will really slow it down.
You can cut the bristles real short on a tooth brush and brush it some to get the outer layer off and this may make it look better.

If this doesn't make the coin looking like you want it to then you can send it to me for evaluation. Then we can discuss what should be done next. I will have to have the coin in hand to be able to give you a cost and an idea of what the results would be.

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.

First of all unless he's some type of chemist I have a hard time believing he's any more of an expert than the people on here who have been digging and cleaning coins for years. It sounds like he uses kerosene much the same way as we use olive oil, just maybe kerosene has little to no acid and that's what it's better to stabilize a coin?... I really don't know. But I can't imagine this is some secret method to preserving coins.

I have never seen any of my coppers get worst after being dug and for some that has been 12 years now. So I would definitely not do anything drastic, only only lean at doing something at all just for peace of mind. The something being the couple of suggestions I already talked to you about. But for a 3rd time there's no really hurry. You should enjoy the moment then think about all this. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:

Congrats

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.

First of all unless he's some type of chemist I have a hard time believing he's any more of an expert than the people on here who have been digging and cleaning coins for years. It sounds like he uses kerosene much the same way as we use olive oil, just maybe kerosene has little to no acid and that's what it's better to stabilize a coin?... I really don't know. But I can't imagine this is some secret method to preserving coins.

I have never seen any of my coppers get worst after being dug and for some that has been 12 years now. So I would definitely not do anything drastic, only only lean at doing something at all just for peace of mind. The something being the couple of suggestions I already talked to you about. But for a 3rd time there's no really hurry. You should enjoy the moment then think about all this. :thumbsup:

your right! was just relaying info i been getting,thats all

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had one superb day - congrats on all of those excellent finds! :hello2: :hello2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:

Congrats

Thanks for your note

Your Numismatic Friend,

Allen S.

your right! was just relaying info i been getting,thats all

Yep, with a find like that it's good to hear all angles.

Years ago I heard a story about someone finding a chain chain up here but I'm guessing it was something else.... maybe a Fugio. Early American cents are quite a rarity here and I think I used up all my luck finding my 1795. I always wonder if there is a chain cent in the ground anywhere here... just one.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
It's amazing any are found at all. I know of one other confirmed chain with tector, a W&E Best of back in mid to late 90's it came out of a crop field in PA. I have that issue somewhere.

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.

edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
gleaner1 said:

I believe he found two. How's that for beating the odds! I think he might even be a member here.

edit: Yep... check this page.

http://www.whiteselectronics.net/calif/treasure.htm
IP I couldn't find the thread on here about the member who sent in his 1877 IH penny to be cleaned.Do you know where abouts it would be in the back pages?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NO idea why someone would go and "blat" about who's property it was on. There is always someone on this site with a "Felix Unger" comment. ::) Personally, I wouldn't send the coin out to be preserved or slabbed. We have this discussion all the time. Unless it was a coin like "Continental Currency" that has to be authenticated. This is a coin, that if Dave wanted to sell, would be good candidate for a Heretige or Stacks auction. You get alot of exposure and alot of BIG collectors after it. Real collectors, like to examine the coin,"in the metal", NOT in some plastic case. It's a real beauty, and in great shape for a dug, RARE, copper. On the other hand.......As in the case of my 25-83A.......I got shafted at the auction. Should have taken the $5.000 as I was offered. BUT....then again.....There are more collectors that would be after this Chain Cent, than were after my CFT., as there was a small collector community for my type of coin. CONGRATS AGAIN Dave, I WANT A HIGLEY TOO! We are both in a spot where we may be able to dig one! I hope I get one before you.....you lucky $%&^$$#@*&&@@! :thumbsup: :laughing9: :notworthy: Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread