Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Good evening everyone. This morning I was able to get out for a bit after finishing a few errands. I wasn't to excited or feeling it(lucky) but, I went anyway. Found an iron patch and it all started lol.... Just target after target and NO trash! This evening when I started looking at the finds I noticed one of them seemed different. I mean it felt thicker then the other three I found. As I was delicately cleaning it I noticed the chain. The one side looks good but, the other will be a challenge. In the three hours I was there these are my finds.

Thanks for looking,
Don

I added these two photos to show the slow and little progress I've made with the detail of this coin! Just taking my time. There is a coin shop close by any thoughts?

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    715.3 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    828.4 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Upvote 85

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only remember one other on Tnet from a house demo a couple years ago, and it was in great shape. I think that was a chain anyway. Those are harder to find than tree coins. Holy smokes - if this thing isn’t up top by sunrise I’ll be shocked. Freakin awesome.

You can go to Tnet search engine and type in 1793 Chain Cent and you will see people who found them , to me they are not so rare because I found one years ago! And if I found one then so can you! Lol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" to me they are not so rare " Really ? I've maybe seen one or two in the Nine Years I've been on this site ! Even if there were five or six found in that time period , the Chain Cent blows most gold coins away for rarity , same with G.W. buttons - this is obviously a rare and Banner Worthy find !

Last edited:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The amazing thing about these is that they were recognized as collectible and valuable as early as the 1850’s. Even with that early trend toward conservation, only 1-2% of the original mintage is estimated to have survived. Dream coin and one of the best finds of the year hands down.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to Tnet search engine and type in 1793 Chain Cent and you will see people who found them , to me they are not so rare because I found one years ago! And if I found one then so can you! Lol

They estimate far less that 1000 of these to exist. If that ain't rare I don't know what is. We throw that term around pretty loosely. Maybe scarce fits better but for a treasure to find one is extremely rare. Congrats on finding one. We should do a "show your Chain cent thread" and see how many are posted.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab , You really nailed it man ! - this find is so ridiculously BANNER that if it doesn't get up there,why have a banner ?? Only 36K of these ever minted ! 1793 is the first year that Cents were issued in America , and these chain cents were only issued for one year !!! Let's get this up top folks !!

Yeah it just baffles me that something like this doesn't get more attention. The very first cent to ever be designed and minted. Not sure what's more historically important than that in coin terms.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find and is a banner find for sure..But i would have to see it cleaned up..Especially if it was considered collectible as far back as 1850..It could be counterfeit..Tree coins were mass produced in the 1800's..You never know!

~Blaze~

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find and is a banner find for sure..But i would have to see it cleaned up..Especially if it was considered collectible as far back as 1850..It could be counterfeit..Tree coins were mass produced in the 1800's..You never know!

~Blaze~

Her is a link to NGC, a short article about chains and counterfeit. Although I believe digging a counterfeit 1793 would be more rare than finding an actual coin.

“Counterfeiters have long targeted these coins. Many fakes were likely produced to fill holes in the sets of collectors who could not afford a genuine example. Although this original purpose may not have been nefarious, these sets eventually reenter the marketplace and are purchased by unsuspecting buyers.”

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4632/Counterfeit-Detection/

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Her is a link to NGC, a short article about chains and counterfeit. Although I believe digging a counterfeit 1793 would be more rare than finding an actual coin.

“Counterfeiters have long targeted these coins. Many fakes were likely produced to fill holes in the sets of collectors who could not afford a genuine example. Although this original purpose may not have been nefarious, these sets eventually reenter the marketplace and are purchased by unsuspecting buyers.”

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4632/Counterfeit-Detection/

Interesting article i believe even an early counterfeit would be banner worthy..I also agree you are more likely to dig a real one with patina like this one than a fake..

~Blaze~

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The “pinnacle coin” for early US coppers in my opinion. Banner for sure, and super jealous. Can’t wait to see her all cleaned up!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the banner. That coin is awesome. :headbang:

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Wow! I woke up this morning and there it was , up top. Thank you all for the comments and banner votes. I believe I will send this out for conservation and cased. Now for the bad news, I have pounded this site and I think I put the fire out so to speak. This place had a lot of firsts for me my first fully intact shoe buckle, a Spanish Cob, bunches of blow hole ,tombac and nipple buttons and of course this coin. It was a dream site and so much fun while it lasted. I have dug thousands of holes and walked countless miles through fields (preferably soy) to finally stumble on this. Now on to find the next one.

KEEP THE PASSION

Don

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay! Great sight to see it up on top.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A excellent find my friend:occasion14: Now go find a N E shilling:headbang:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sincere congrats on banner! Keep us updated on the progress of the conservation. I’d love to see the final result.
Jeff

Ennismill

Mar 13, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never even knew this coin existed and for you to dig one. Wow! So happy for you

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really psyched that this coin is up where it belongs. But the best part is that it’s in your collection now....and will be long after it slips from the BANNER. An epic find

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds and on receiving your first BANNER Don! :occasion14:
As you well know, you're definitely unto a site with some serious age there.

Best of luck on getting an evaluation on your 1793 Chain Cent and on your return hunt!

Dave

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the chain cent club. Congrats on a one in a life time find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions