Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800 LC "UNBELIEVEABLE!"----Looking for Sheldon Variety

My sister Kim,,(The Vermonster), found this coin last week. Without a doubt, THE best LC we have ever found. Exhibits VF details. I gave it the peroxide bath only 1 time, and soaked it in distilled water. I haven't coated it with olive oil or vaseline yet, as I really do not think it needs it. Well struck on a nice planchet with no die breaks. Many of these were struck on "crappy" planchets. I am in the process of purchasing a used Breen book so I can ID coins myself. CoinFacts does not list pictures of ALL the Sheldon varieties of the Normal 1800 date. Was hoping Don may be able to help. (Please tell me it's an NC-3 or 4) ;D UNBELIEVEABLE how this came out, both with cleaning and out of the ground! Enjoy..........Hogge

Attachments

• 5-31-2010 9;56;45 AM.jpg
    5-31-2010 9;56;45 AM.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,442
  • 5-31-2010 9;56;49 AM.jpg
    5-31-2010 9;56;49 AM.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,432
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1800 LC "UNBELIEVEABLE!"----Looking for Sheldon Variety

That is nice, don't oil it.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Appears to be a Sheldon 212 variety. Obverse: LI are very close, E leans right, R is high, and the left base of Y is broken. Hair above 1 is weaker than usual but does not quite qualify as a bald spot. REF: Breen's Encyclopedia

Reverse: Spike points t the right from the inner curve of C (in CENTS) Berry right of N (in ONE) is practically stemless. REF: Breen's Encyclopedia.

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s212.jpg (for an example)

Don

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Awesome coin.
Congrats
Dman

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Appears to be a Sheldon 212 variety. Obverse: LI are very close, E leans right, R is high, and the left base of Y is broken. Hair above 1 is weaker than usual but does not quite qualify as a bald spot. REF: Breen's Encyclopedia

Reverse: Spike points t the right from the inner curve of C (in CENTS) Berry right of N (in ONE) is practically stemless. REF: Breen's Encyclopedia.

Not 100% sure, but fairly certain it matches.

Don
EXCELLENT ID Don! Looks like an exact match. Her coin DOES have the small metal "dot" in the mid-curve of the "C" in CENTS also. In the Breen example it appears as a slash, but it is actually a small dot of "extra" metal, as hers is not as worn. There is no bald spot as there are hairlines there under magnification. Would that be the only difference between the 212 and NC-3? Todd

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Don in SJ said:

Not 100% sure, but fairly certain it matches.

Don
EXCELLENT ID Don! Looks like an exact match. Her coin DOES have the small metal "dot" in the mid-curve of the "C" in CENTS also. In the Breen example it appears as a slash, but it is actually a small dot of "extra" metal, as hers is not as worn. There is no bald spot as there are hairlines there under magnification. Would that be the only difference between the 212 and NC-3? Todd

Without looking closey, just like it is not a S-199 it is also not a NC-3 because I see the fraction bar is too short to be either of them.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whatever it is, it is in great shape and you are lucky to have uncoverd it-Congrates!!

SKD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Possumguts said:
Ditto, beautiful coin, but DON'T oil it!!!

Why? A short soak in oil will probably remove the rest of the corrosion. (safest way to do it)

Pretty awesome condition! :thumbsup:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice find, dont see to many in that condition.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Possumguts said:

Why? A short soak in oil will probably remove the rest of the corrosion. (safest way to do it)

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking....and will do!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
Possumguts said:

The only negative thing oil can do would make it a little darker, but I think the soak will be short enough for that not to be a factor. Once out, a little soap and water and once it has time to dry again it should be crazy good! Oil isn't a heck of a lot different than what a coin conditioner does, just as a small amout of acid to help clean if left to soak.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
Possumguts said:

The only negative thing oil can do would make it a little darker, but I think the soak will be short enough for that not to be a factor. Once out, a little soap and water and once it has time to dry again it should be crazy good! Oil isn't a heck of a lot different than what a coin conditioner does, just as a small amout of acid to help clean if left to soak.
It will also enhance the detail so you can see all of the hairlines. Quite a difference in the condition from when she handed it to me yesterday. The denticles ,and overall detail, are quite impressive.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
Possumguts said:

It will also enhance the detail so you can see all of the hairlines. Quite a difference in the condition from when she handed it to me yesterday. The denticles ,and overall detail, are quite impressive.

Yeah the surface is very nice for a dug coin. It certainly won't be hard to shoot like the reverse S was after the oil. Digital cameras don't like pitting!

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

With many copper coins, it's all in the luck of the drop.

Your sister's amazing find seemingly dropped face down, so to speak. When a coin lies obverse down, the corrosive chemicals that filter down from above attack the reverse. While it's best not have any filter down effects, tis far far better to have the backside take the beating.

Kim’s coin seems minimally corroded on both sides. I've seen both sides of buried coppers do amazingly well when lost on dirt roadways here in Jersey. Seems a coin can get driven underground (hoof or buggy-wheel action) then tightly pressed in place. The pressurized soil above it fends off corrosive trickled. At any new site, I always work the dirt roadway first and foremost.

By the by, the condition of that coin might be because of an electrolytic relationship with minerals or other metal objects in the soil. If it's mineralization helping the coin cause, hit that area hard. Other coins might have fared as well. If it was saved because of an electrolytic relationship with a metal object, say a nearby nail or such, another coin only a few feet away might be corroded to hell and back.

Kim’s coin is worth a pretty penny, per recent sales of similar coins on eBay.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Hogge,

I think you were saying recently on one of my threads that the coppers didn't hold up well in the soil in your neck of the woods.
Glad to see that this is not always the case. Congrats to the Vermonster, and may you both pull a few more out that look as good as this beauty.
Sweet!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
Hogge,

I think you were saying recently on one of my threads that the coppers didn't hold up well in the soil in your neck of the woods.
Glad to see that this is not always the case. Congrats to the Vermonster, and may you both pull a few more out that look as good as this beauty.
Sweet!

I think if you hunt woods even if most are bad there's much better chance of that condition than fields. Heck I know there is because I have never found one that good!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
dwayne sueno said:
Hogge,

Sweet!

I think if you hunt woods even if most are bad there's much better chance of that condition than fields. Heck I know there is because I have never found one that good!
All my finds from woods are in much better condition then the farm fields even if the fields have not been worked for many years the woods dark soft soil is kind to copper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread