Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one hour to hunt after work today before dark, had nowhere to go but the same place I've been beating up for the past 4 years. The safari screamed silver with a good solid 38 hit. 4 inches down was this beautiful lady staring me in the face!!

Attachments

• 1806 Heraldic eagle 006.jpg
    1806 Heraldic eagle 006.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 1,824
  • 1806 Heraldic eagle 008.jpg
    1806 Heraldic eagle 008.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 1,577
Last edited:
Upvote 70

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just getting caught up on what I missed....WOW!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds - Early Bust Silver is a great coin recovery. Congratulations!

Masonman007

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roundness in the hole, silv in the poc. sorry, someone had to say it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
We are not going to go through this whole "grading" thing again......ARE WE??? LOOK.......The coin is SCRATCHED....Environmentally Damaged....and WELL WORN! He doesn't need a grading service to tell him that....at "X" amount of dollars. This is BAD advice on this coin. PRISTINE condition-- EF or above...MAYBE. This one isn't even CLOSE! C'mon guys! Let's get a grip!

You are free to state your opinion and I am free to state my opinion. Apparently we do not see eye to eye on such matters and that's okay but don't try to make me look like an a$$ because you don't agree with what I wrote. If the coin is going to be sold, one can clearly see the wide difference between the prices fetched for a coin such as the O.P's uncertified and ungraded versus certified and graded. If by having the coin certified and graded, the cost to benefit ratio is going to be the best option for the O.P., then I will recommend it but if it is not the best option for the O.P., then I would not recommend it. No matter what we recommend, the O.P. should weigh all of the options but the end decision is up to him.

Frank

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Time to break out the lemon juice and aluminum foil to get rid of the black tarnish. This is not recommended for beginners. Practice on your garbage silver and learn how to do it. I have sent 2 coins in that had ms-63 detail that had to be cleaned and got them back slabbed and certified with no environmental damage or cleaned tag.

The key is not to rub the coin just pinch the aluminum onto the coin and concentrate on the areas of black tarnish. With time and patience the black lifts off and leaves good detail. The coin needs this and then a corrosive preventative such as a neutral ph dip.

As it is PCGS will slaughter it and may not even get a grade, however its pretty old and they tend to go a little easier on the old ones.

I would love to find one and that is just spectacular, thank you for sharing.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are free to state your opinion and I am free to state my opinion. Apparently we do not see eye to eye on such matters and that's okay but don't try to make me look like an a$$ because you don't agree with what I wrote. If the coin is going to be sold, one can clearly see the wide difference between the prices fetched for a coin such as the O.P's uncertified and ungraded versus certified and graded. If by having the coin certified and graded, the cost to benefit ratio is going to be the best option for the O.P., then I will recommend it but if it is not the best option for the O.P., then I would not recommend it. No matter what we recommend, the O.P. should weigh all of the options but the end decision is up to him.

Frank
It's not a matter of opinion. And I'm not trying to get the last word in. Just because a coin is in a plastic holder doesn't mean it's worth more. Coin is g-4...or 6 at best. Everyone can see that. G-4 is G-4, whether it has a label on it or not! I'm telling you flat out.......you're wrong by telling this guy to have it graded. It's a waste of money, especially on a coin in this condition.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a matter of opinion. And I'm not trying to get the last word in. Just because a coin is in a plastic holder doesn't mean it's worth more. Coin is g-4...or 6 at best. Everyone can see that. G-4 is G-4, whether it has a label on it or not! I'm telling you flat out.......you're wrong by telling this guy to have it graded. It's a waste of money, especially on a coin in this condition.

Although you say it is not, I believe that it is a matter of opinion! Also, I am not trying to get the last word in but trying to make a point. Grading of coins is subjective and everyone that examines a coin in hand or from a photo, will in fact come away with a different opinion on the grade. Most folks know that you can submit a coin say to PCGS and get a specific grade, then after getting it back, you break it out of the holder and resubmit it and you may get a different grade which could be higher or lower than the original grade it received. This could be due to different Graders grading the coin on the two different occasions or a Grader on one of the occasions may have been having a bad day or a good day. When trying to assess a coin and give an opinion about it to the O.P., I do not merely review the pics submitted by the O.P.. I actually copy the pics to my' PC, upload them to Photobucket, then I edit the pics to enhance what cannot be seen...bring things more into focus...crop and resize if necessary and then view the pics to make an assessment. When editing the pics, I do not add or take away from the coin. If something is there that is less visible, I try to enhance it and I never edit anything out except unneeded background. Based on the edited pics, I can see that the coin has all of the necessary points to qualify for an F-12 Grade except the details of the hair to the left of (behind) Miss Liberty's ear on the Obverse and a strong enough Motto on the Reverse. (See "The Official American Numismatic Association's - Grading Standards for United States Coins" 6th Edition.) All other key points are there and most of the other key points are strong enough to compensate for the lack in those two areas. While I can see some scratches on the coin, I cannot tell if the black scratch like streaks are actually scratches or just rub off from contact with something black or almost black. Due to these, I stated that it might only get a VG-10 Grade. However, even if that is the overall grade based on the assessments of the Graders, it is quite possible that they at their discretion, may in fact give the coin a grade bump due to it's rarity but may also do so because of the stronger details in the other areas. Now, please view the pics that I have added below which I based my grade opinion on and tell me that you still see a G-4 coin. I truly believe that others will agree that the coin is clearly not a G-4.

In closing I will again state, that if having a coin certified and graded based on the cost to benefit ratio, is going to benefit the O.P., especially if he is considering selling the coin in the future, then I am going to recommend it. In the case of this coin, I think that it is and is why I recommended it (uncertified and ungraded the coin might fetch from $150 to $300+ but certified and graded the coin might fetch from $350 to $650 or more. Although $500 to $600 is more likely but if it is a good day, the coin could fetch above $650 at Auction.) Since the coin was dug, it was cheap (not considering the costs of his' metal detector which he apparently purchased for his' hobby and not to just find this one coin) and the O.P will only be out the cost of Certifying, Grading and the shipping (say $60 total), then the cost to benefit ratio is well worth the investment.

Frank

1806DrapedBustQuarter1.jpg 1806DrapedBustQuarter2.jpg

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinion vs, Market

We are not going to go through this whole "grading" thing again......ARE WE??? LOOK.......The coin is SCRATCHED....Environmentally Damaged....and WELL WORN! He doesn't need a grading service to tell him that....at "X" amount of dollars. This is BAD advice on this coin. PRISTINE condition-- EF or above...MAYBE. This one isn't even CLOSE! C'mon guys! Let's get a grip!

First off I Congratulate the OP on his AWESOME Find= A coin I dream of finding.
(With it's Mintage of only 206,124 "All Varieties") it,s Def, a RARE Dig.

Ill try not to rant , as I have much to say but am poor at Expressing it.
So I hope this makes since .:dontknow:

While I really Don't care For The grading services & the history of the them tells the story ,
That's why Graded coins with the CAC Sticker are the more Coveted coins.

Like it or not when it comes to Selling Coins "Esp, Rare ones the Graded Coins will Almost
Always fetch more on the Market.
Maybe Buyers are Too lazy to do their homework & learn to do their own grading so
they will just take the word of the Grading Co, as "Gospel"
ill Quote from the Movie Tommy Boy " if you want me to take a dump in a box & mark it certified , that's no problem"
Id rather use my own judgement.
Like I said Like it or not "Imo Grading is here to stay" & Such Coins 99% of the time will sell for a premium over ungraded 'like" coins.
In the end it's up to the buyer / Collector / Investor.
? Do I buy the coin or the Holder?
And Dang it I don't need a Co. to tell me what my coins Grade But I probably do to Convince a Buyer of their Quality.
All My Opinion
Davers. :thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion the "Said " coin would grade between VG 8 & F 10 ( Details of course)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion the "Said " coin would grade between VG 8 & F 10 ( Details of course)
I actually liked what you said in the previous posting. (Believe it or not). But you're forgetting about the "qualifiers" that will knock the value of the coin WAY down. 1.- "Environmental Damage" 2. Scratched 3. Damaged. ALL 3 of these will appear on the "Label" when he gets the coin back. There's another saying too......."A fool and his money are soon parted" POSTER................Take the coin to a "reputable" coin dealer and ask him what you can get for it.....GRADED and UNGRADED. THEN tell us how you made out. That will quell this whole little "*****fest"

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know of a dug coin that didn't come back with 'environmental damage' after being sent out for grading? I considered having my Oak Tree graded when I first dug it. It certainly would have received a nice details grade, but I really didn't want to have that damage label on it. I agree with Hogge that it would be smart to bring your find to a couple of reputable dealers and ask their opinion. Some coins, even dug ones, are worth more graded. Many times, the expense of grading is not justified by the outcome. From my experience speaking with collectors of colonial and other early American coins, graded coins can be highly suspect due to the subjectivity of grading. Many serious collectors would break coins out of their coffins if they could to examine them for themselves. When encapsulated, coin weights and varieties are not always labeled, edges can not be examined, etc. This can work for or against the value of a dug coin. Over graded specimens might sell for more than they are worth, but coins labeled as damaged might lose value because of the stigma.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually liked what you said in the previous posting. (Believe it or not). But you're forgetting about the "qualifiers" that will knock the value of the coin WAY down. 1.- "Environmental Damage" 2. Scratched 3. Damaged. ALL 3 of these will appear on the "Label" when he gets the coin back. There's another saying too......."A fool and his money are soon parted" POSTER................Take the coin to a "reputable" coin dealer and ask him what you can get for it.....GRADED and UNGRADED. THEN tell us how you made out. That will quell this whole little "*****fest"

So, I assume that you don't see me as fitting into this category even though I have been searching, attributing, buying, selling and trading coins and even grading coins for myself and other individuals for the better part of 41 years! I guess that my' 100% Positive Feedback on eBay which probably consists of 60% percent or more of coin sales without a single complaint or return does not count either. Or that I have sold well over a hundred thousand coins to Coin Dealers, Coin Experts, Collectors and common individuals that were either purchased or traded for or picked up from Banks and found to be Errors and/or Varieties.

Frank

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I assume that you don't see me as fitting into this category even though I have been searching, attributing, buying, selling and trading coins and even grading coins for myself and other individuals for the better part of 41 years! I guess that my' 100% Positive Feedback on eBay which probably consists of 60% percent or more of coin sales without a single complaint or return does not count either. Or that I have sold well over a hundred thousand coins to Coin Dealers, Coin Experts, Collectors and common individuals that were either purchased or traded for or picked up from Banks and found to be Errors and/or Varieties.

Frank
Even I have 100% positive feedback on "wacky" EBAY. That means nothing. If you're as "sharp" as you say you are, then why didn't you ID the variety??? Or don't you know about that stuff? So how is it you failed to mention the qualifiers to the poster? Which should "discount" the value of ANY grade by half? Just goes to show you're not smart enough to admit when you're wrong. I read your profile. Seems like you're a pretty decent guy. We all have differences of opinion here at times, and I'm NOT afraid to admit when I get proven wrong. So lets just see what an objective 3rd party has to say. ALRIGHT?

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! I'm going back to my old beat up hunting grounds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful coin!, omg id be needing a change of underpants after that one for sure, congratufreakinlations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread