1812 Buttons, Rattail Spoon, Shoe Buckle and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve and myself were invited by our good buddy Abe for a few days of hunting in his neck of the woods. My hunts are usually last minute, so I typically head out alone, however hunting with two great friends is a highlight for me. Between the hiking and laughing, we all managed to find some keepers and by the end of the trip we were all completely exhausted. I really can't thank Abe enough for such a great trip we all had. Steve was on fire nearly the whole time, and his digs were my motivation to dump another pouch of iron and press on. It's so much fun for me to hunt with friends and get to see their finds come out of the dirt.

IMG_20170502_172226.jpg

The first couple days I tested out a strategy I had been thinking about prior to the trip. It involved a lot of hunting with my GPX, which I did well with, pulling a deep US pewter from an area we beat up as well as a bunch of musket balls and various relics. I finally decided to use my Deus to finish a trash pile\pit section I discovered last year and that's where the bulk of my finds came from. I methodically used my 405lb magnet to remove the iron and I was rewarded with 5 more marked 1812 pewters. For 6 in total. (Albert's book images cropped below each button to show what they should look like)

IMG_20170502_071641 cropped.jpg

They aren't as photogenic without the lighting just right.

IMG_20170502_174320.jpg

My two favorites are the UNITED STATES 13th Regiment cuff, and the Eagle 3rd Regiment cuff.

IMG_20170502_174609.jpg

My magnet pulled up a really cool blacksmith forged S hook with a nice twist. I am fairly sure this is part of an outdoor open hearth iron cooking set, used to hang pots over a fire for cooking.

IMG_20170502_174242.jpg Open Hearth Iron.jpg

Another killer piece of iron is this blacksmith forged wing nut with threads still visible. I can't wait to get the S hook and Wing Nut into my electrolysis tank.

IMG_20170502_165030.jpg

Some nice pipe stems and a drilled shank tombac turned up as well.

IMG_20170502_174447.jpg

A variety of musket balls and buck and ball, mostly fired with maybe one drop - courtesy of the GPX.

IMG_20170502_174327.jpg

Another site produced the smallest shoe buckle I have ever seen...

IMG_20170502_165144.jpg

...and an interesting designed pewter. By far my favorite time on that day was helping Steve retrieve his smokey gray British flints and musket balls from a long lost cartridge pouch in the woods. It was a highlight of the trip for me and I didn't even find it! The Deus did sniff out another musket ball and 4 buck and balls when he was done, but those went into his pile to be displayed as a group... what a find!

IMG_20170502_180629.jpg

I love going to hard hit sites, so Abe took us to a spot he has done very well at and absolutely pounded. He gave us a challenge that we couldnt find "2 keepers" each there, which I thought wouldn't be any problem at all... I was wrong... it was insanely hard hunting! I dug a few bits here and there, pulled some really nice rose heads and then witnessed Steve dig his insane farthing, which had me running to the truck to get my GPX. I then proceeded to dig perk site deep plugs :laughing7: and got a thimble and this rattail spoon and some cufflinks, all out of range of VLF machines. I called Steve and Abe over to show them the spoon and thimble and they were astonished with how deep they were.

IMG_20170502_174437.jpg

Relic hunting in the woods with the GPX is exhausting for those who have been there. It weighs a ton, gets caught on every branch and root, and requires me to move so much dirt and rock... after a while its frustrating and with so much iron and listening to it scream, I would give up on a signal every now and then. These links were one of those signals. After many deep nails I apparently removed this signal from the plug and left them in the dirt, giving up to move on. Abe recovered them for me not too long after and insisted that I take them. A great friend :occasion14:

IMG_20170502_174311.jpg

Finally some of the rose heads that I will tumble. Always enjoy seeing the hammer marks on the nail head (circled on the left). These will look great after a day or two in the tumbler.

IMG_20170502_174430.jpg

I have 30lbs of iron that I will sort through later. Much of it was sucked up by the magnet and hopefully there's some interesting items in the mess. I also took a box of Abe's iron home to process for him with some really interesting items I look forward to preserving and shipping back to him. Another awesome trip with two great friends. Thanks a ton guys. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt and great post Brad. You are accumulating a nice collection of War of 1812 pewters, and your conservation skills are perfect for those fragile pieces of history. I can't imaging using a GPX in a rocky wooded site. Between the rocks and roots and depth you have to dig in many cases (not to mention the weight of the machine)...whew! Did you end up finding any pits with the GPX? I'm glad you had the Deus along as well.

Thanks man! I honestly didn't try to find any deep pits with the GPX this time. The pit\pile I worked was one I found with my Deus last year and it goes from the surface, down to about 2 feet deep. My Deus was still my primary machine on this trip, but the GPX had its moments to shine and resulted in some deep targets and almost all the musket balls, but the Deus found the rest. I got a lot of GPX relic hunting practice at DIV last month, and I saw people finding ration cans at 3 feet+ with them and discovering a deep pit. Now that I have a bit of time on the GPX I feel more comfortable breaking it out to relic hunt. It really excels at a DIV type spot where thousands of people lived for only a few months, but its much harder at a colonial site where iron infestation spanned decades. Surface nails are easy to tell, but deep nails and really deep large iron sounds so good on that machine. So its a lot of work using one at a colonial site and frustration sets in after a few hours, hence me giving up on those cufflinks. ha

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man! I honestly didn't try to find any deep pits with the GPX this time. The pit\pile I worked was one I found with my Deus last year and it goes from the surface, down to about 2 feet deep. My Deus was still my primary machine on this trip, but the GPX had its moments to shine and resulted in some deep targets and almost all the musket balls, but the Deus found the rest. I got a lot of GPX relic hunting practice at DIV last month, and I saw people finding ration cans at 3 feet+ with them and discovering a deep pit. Now that I have a bit of time on the GPX I feel more comfortable breaking it out to relic hunt. It really excels at a DIV type spot where thousands of people lived for only a few months, but its much harder at a colonial site where iron infestation spanned decades. Surface nails are easy to tell, but deep nails and really deep large iron sounds so good on that machine. So its a lot of work using one at a colonial site and frustration sets in after a few hours, hence me giving up on those cufflinks. ha
I'm sure you weren't dealing with the mineralization like they have around Culpeper. Minelab has sold a lot of machines thanks to DIV hunts.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the nice post Brad.

That "baby shoe buckle" is really sweet...but the pewter buttons are just amazing. Glad that you boys had fun in the woods.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks a ton Tom! Its always a ton of fun hanging out with those guys. That shoe buckle was a welcome surprise and came at the end of a day where we hiked many miles and I only had 2 flat buttons to show for a days work.

Great finds and great friends. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Thank you Silver Tree Chaser. It really was a great trip.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great write up! Thanks for sharing these awesome finds! Even the nails are great and I've never seen an actual back mark on a pewter before other than our PN enigma we see down here. Congrats Brad

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish we had woods to hunt around here. Subtropical greenbrier makes it nearly impossible. Great finds as usual.

Attachments

• briers.jpg
    briers.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say, Brad-when the Three Amigos get together you know there will be a pile of great relics to display after you're done. Sounds like great fun, and once again you killed it! Most relic hunters would be elated to find half of what you found, in a year. Congratulations on all of those quality finds, and I'm looking forward to what comes out of your electrolysis tank.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The 1812 Pewters are great recoveries and well deserved when picked out of the iron. That iron hook is really cool, Forged tools are one of my favorite things to find. That trip sounds like a great time. I hope some of the techniques discussed will help clean up the buttons some. Nice post.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done Brad, sitting over here in the desert I have to live vicariously through posts like these. The shear volume of early American pewters up there in Abe's neck of the woods is nuts. The matching cuffs are just icing on the cake...even if Abe had to throw you the assist :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad this is our third adventure and they just keep outdoing the last. I'm so happy that you added to your growing collection of killer 1812 pewters. I remember your amazed face when I saw you pull the first one on your maiden voyage to my playground. The shoe buckle is also a killer find but like wheat pennies in Maine. I have buckets full lol. You and Steve are both class acts even if you look a little rough lol. I hope we continue this yearly tradition for a very long time. Btw I will be posting my BRASS EAGLE ON CANNON BUTTON SOON!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad this is our third adventure and they just keep outdoing the last. I'm so happy that you added to your growing collection of killer 1812 pewters. I remember your amazed face when I saw you pull the first one on your maiden voyage to my playground. The shoe buckle is also a killer find but like wheat pennies in Maine. I have buckets full lol. You and Steve are both class acts even if you look a little rough lol. I hope we continue this yearly tradition for a very long time. Btw I will be posting my BRASS EAGLE ON CANNON BUTTON SOON!!!!!!!!

There he is! Its hard to believe man... all that time we spent there and the 3rd trip was the best for all three of us. I hope you can take another layer down in that pit, use the magnet, and perhaps expand it down farther. I bet there's a mess of buttons in there still... I wish we got more than that one US pewter in the section we did together, but that was at least a really nice one.

I cropped all the buttons from those 3 trips into one photo. I fully expect a "FU Brad" when you see this too. haha That's a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th.... 5 US GS cuffs, and that crusty Crumpton eagle cuff.

IMG_20170502_071641 cropped.jpg

I can't thank you enough for another awesome time man. I'll get that iron processed and back to you in the next couple weeks. You had me psyched when you got the cannon button... really looking forward to your post man.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great write up! Thanks for sharing these awesome finds! Even the nails are great and I've never seen an actual back mark on a pewter before other than our PN enigma we see down here. Congrats Brad

Thanks Nick! I had no idea there even were backmarks on any of them... I saw lettering on it and sure enough, Albert's had a version with a Crumpton backmark. Thats the crustiest button of the bunch, so at least the backmark is legible.

Wish we had woods to hunt around here. Subtropical greenbrier makes it nearly impossible. Great finds as usual.

That stuff is the worst! I've fought my way through that stuff around where I live, but not nearly as much up North. Thanks a ton man.

What can I say, Brad-when the Three Amigos get together you know there will be a pile of great relics to display after you're done. Sounds like great fun, and once again you killed it! Most relic hunters would be elated to find half of what you found, in a year. Congratulations on all of those quality finds, and I'm looking forward to what comes out of your electrolysis tank.

Thanks Glenn... I think I will post the hook, wingnut and some nails on this thread next week. I hate bumping an week old thread, but it seems like a few people are interested in seeing that iron when I'm done with it. It was a great trip and a ton of fun.

The 1812 Pewters are great recoveries and well deserved when picked out of the iron. That iron hook is really cool, Forged tools are one of my favorite things to find. That trip sounds like a great time. I hope some of the techniques discussed will help clean up the buttons some. Nice post.

Thanks Evan! I'll keep you posted on those crustier pewters. Sure would be nice to get some of that rock hard scale off. Forged tools are some of my favorites as well and I was really happy to get two keeper (non-broken) pieces of iron.

Well done Brad, sitting over here in the desert I have to live vicariously through posts like these. The shear volume of early American pewters up there in Abe's neck of the woods is nuts. The matching cuffs are just icing on the cake...even if Abe had to throw you the assist :laughing7:

Thanks Jon! Abe sure was awesome to complete what I started with those links. Be safe out there man and looking forward to your digs when you get home.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice! Make sure you get a nice close up of that button for OMH! He'd really appreciate that

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There he is! Its hard to believe man... all that time we spent there and the 3rd trip was the best for all three of us. I hope you can take another layer down in that pit, use the magnet, and perhaps expand it down farther. I bet there's a mess of buttons in there still... I wish we got more than that one US pewter in the section we did together, but that was at least a really nice one.

I cropped all the buttons from those 3 trips into one photo. I fully expect a "FU Brad" when you see this too. haha That's a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th.... 5 US GS cuffs, and that crusty Crumpton eagle cuff.

View attachment 1447411

I can't thank you enough for another awesome time man. I'll get that iron processed and back to you in the next couple weeks. You had me psyched when you got the cannon button... really looking forward to your post man.

FU BRAD! I have none of those numbered buttons. I think they just like you

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1447411

Damn Brad that's impressive. I'm shocked at the variety of Regt numbers we have pulled from there. I have a 1st to make the list even longer.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like moving a thread from a week ago back up, but there was enough interest in the iron bits that I wanted to share the preservation results.

I finally went through the iron from the 1812 trash section and it turns out my magnet snagged two iron 4 hole buttons. There were some other cool things in that huge iron pile as well. Anyway, the nails are tumbled and the S Hook and Wing Nut got electrolysis.

IMG_20170509_104511.jpg

Here are some better pictures of my wing nut all preserved. As much as I love that S Hook, I think this wing nut is one of my favorite iron finds. I googled around for "forged wingnut" and it turns out this is called a "Rams horn wing nut"

IMG_20170509_104542.jpg

Here are some other google images of these rams horn wingnuts. Pretty cool pieces of blacksmith made iron.

3-large-rams-horn-wing-nuts-hand-forged-iron-pa_1_13e1a6250a332fa812ae42bf59d79a97.jpg
il_570xN.592068203_roxr.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and thread!

Thanks a ton man :occasion14:

Damn Brad that's impressive. I'm shocked at the variety of Regt numbers we have pulled from there. I have a 1st to make the list even longer.

Thanks man... I am too. I don't have doubles either... just one number of each. haha

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like moving a thread from a week ago back up, but there was enough interest in the iron bits that I wanted to share the preservation results.

I finally went through the iron from the 1812 trash section and it turns out my magnet snagged two iron 4 hole buttons. There were some other cool things in that huge iron pile as well. Anyway, the nails are tumbled and the S Hook and Wing Nut got electrolysis.

View attachment 1449180

Here are some better pictures of my wing nut all preserved. As much as I love that S Hook, I think this wing nut is one of my favorite iron finds. I googled around for "forged wingnut" and it turns out this is called a "Rams horn wing nut"

View attachment 1449181

Here are some other google images of these rams horn wingnuts. Pretty cool pieces of blacksmith made iron.

View attachment 1449177
View attachment 1449178
View attachment 1449179

Impressive! You get full credit for making me a big fan of iron. I still need to make a post with the iron you processed for me. It's incredible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread