πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1812 WAR 24 POUNDER CANNONBALL FILLED WITH MUSKET BALLS

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a really big hit in about 30ft of water. It took me about 1/2 to dig it out of the clay. When I started cleaning it I found the fuse!! Needless to say I kept it well soaked while I fulled the fuse out and while I was rinsing all the powder out of it I noticed it was full off musket balls. Also pictured is an oak gun powder barrel top with Regimental markings.

Last edited:
Upvote 24

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am voting banner for the rarity of the ball. Great piece for your collection!

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
Unbelievable JUST AMAZING!!!!!!! Congrats my friend on your find keep diving and digging and posting!!!!! :-)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14C.gif 14C.gif
2.jpg

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly awesome........I am amazed at how well preserved these finds are........
How deep in the silt was the cannon ball?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having a hard time deciding which one I like the most, both are great finds and the vote's is in for either. The recovery of the lid and the preservation of it, well that in it self is a great piece of recovered history worthy of any display in any collection weather it's an institution or private. Cold water and good mud is the key I'm guessing for the quality finds.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to vote banner on that due to the age, the depth you found it, and the barrel top. An amazing find! Am I correct in assuming you found the barrel top close by? If so, then this absolutely is a banner find - in my humble opinion.

I so agree!! great find!!!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have my vote on banner... you don't see those complete like that too often...

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular finds Candiver. How are you going to keep the wood preserved now that it's out of the water?

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find for sure it deserves to be up there , dude that is a awesome find ! And the powder top with the regiment markings dang talk about a cherry on top ! Well done !

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find CanDiver! :occasion14:
Have you given any thought to emptying the musket balls out?
Are they possibly fused after submerged for almost 200 years? :icon_scratch:

Dave

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for everyones comments and votes! I am going out this morning to try to find something even better!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and it looks good up top, congrats

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Another "banner" relic that means little to me because there is no history attached. Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death. Very few here post any HISTORY. It would be great if you all posted something that gives us the history without divulging where the items are found. Big freaking deal... you found a cannonball... I want to know the HISTORY and how it got to where it's at. Regardless, awesome find. I would suggest the barrel top is as cool, or cooler, than the cannonball itself.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death."

The "HISTORY" is in the item itself... and then the many site experts here chime in with the HISTORY of the item. Here's a "News"flash.... Get back on your meds....!

Great finds Candiver!!!!!!! And good luck today.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death. Very few here post any HISTORY. It would be great if you all posted something that gives us the history without divulging where the items are found.

This is from Wikipedia, but has a bit of history. Not sure where CanDiver is, but it sounds like the great lakes. If this artifact is from this battle it would be 200 years, 11 days after it was lost! Either way it seems there was a lot of activity in the Great Lakes during the war of 1812. Learn something new everyday!

The Battle of Lake Erie, sometimes called the Battle of Put-in-Bay, was fought on 10 September 1813, in Lake Erie off the coast of Ohio during the War of 1812. Nine vessels of the United States Navy defeated and captured six vessels of British Royal Navy. This ensured American control of the lake for the rest of the war, which in turn allowed the Americans to recover Detroit and win the Battle of the Thames to break the Indian confederation of Tecumseh. It was one of the biggest naval battles of the War of 1812.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Newsman, what do you think would happen if Candiver was to reveal to much information about where he has been finding his artifacts? It doesn't take alot of brain power to realize that that area would be swamped with divers. Next thing that would happen the "News people" like maybe YOU would have it on the box and then the state archaeologists would have that place shut down faster then you could emagine.
I am sure that Candiver, like most of us here on TN does his research and knows a great deal about the provenance of his finds, he just has to be carefull about letting too much info out there.
ZDD

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Jeez Sounds like Bad"Newsman" got a bayonette up his butt or something, but that's just history son, no ones divulging where the bayonette is, but it's stinks, like your attitude

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread