🥇 BANNER 1812 WAR 24 POUNDER CANNONBALL FILLED WITH MUSKET BALLS

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a really big hit in about 30ft of water. It took me about 1/2 to dig it out of the clay. When I started cleaning it I found the fuse!! Needless to say I kept it well soaked while I fulled the fuse out and while I was rinsing all the powder out of it I noticed it was full off musket balls. Also pictured is an oak gun powder barrel top with Regimental markings.

Last edited:
Upvote 24

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad always said to pick your battles. I have talked about this in the past to no avail. Not meaning to pick on anyone... just bummed I never get a lot out of these great finds. They are HUGE lakes, I can't imagine that some historical background is going to cause anyone issue but you guys are so tight it stinks. Y'all act as if I don't get the fact some people will try to use this forum for clues... doesn't mean historical perspective can't be given. Lake Erie, Ontario, St. Claire... all big. REAL BIG. If this is from the Battle of Lake Erie... say so for God's sake, it isn't as if no one has heard of the battle.
I think Newsman you are more interested in a News Story then the history of an object found in the water, so let me give you a NewsFlash.....The finds that are presented in this and most other Metal Detecting fourms along with any information regarding an object are done so as a coutesy of the poster. These are privately funded discoveries paid for usually be the person finding the artifact. If you want to publish a newstory you do have a right to go to the state archaeoligist and ask them about their digs. These digs are funded by public funds supplied by the Tax Payer.
ZDD

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG CONGRATS!!!! A couple of incredible finds,thanx for the recovery/posting/pix! This is what it's all about,saving history.HH now go find us some more to be in awe of please....

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shifting back to the find... :)

Both of these items are outstanding - congrats on the banner!

But I can imagine it was quite the adventure bringing that out of 30 feet of water!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FANTASTIC find! Congratulations on that BANNER BALL and for finding it!!! :thumbsup: Breezie

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Sweet! You even made someone jealous!! (you never get these selfish whiners in the threads where a poster shows his pull tab and 38 cents he found at the park).

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another "banner" relic that means little to me because there is no history attached. Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death. Very few here post any HISTORY. It would be great if you all posted something that gives us the history without divulging where the items are found. Big freaking deal... you found a cannonball... I want to know the HISTORY and how it got to where it's at. Regardless, awesome find. I would suggest the barrel top is as cool, or cooler, than the cannonball itself.

Well aren't we just a bowl of sunshine? Get off your couch, do the work yourself, make your own finds, then you can talk about the HISTORY till the cows come home.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Im simply in awe of your finds, congratulations on a find that brings us all back in time of our AMERICAN HISTORY. Glad you posted, and now if we could only go back and erase someones history on this site.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely amazing!!!

acepro

Mar 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is actually a mortar shell. the fuse was lit and it was fired. it was a crazy sight to see im sure, this thing would blow up in the air and create shrapnell from the shell but also the musket balls it was stuffed with. and for all you americans, you hear this everytime you listen to the national anthem "bombs bursting in air" is talking about these! also they would mesure these by size not lbs, for example an 8 inch mortar shell.. instead of solid shot for example 6 pounder or 12 pounder. hope that clears up some stuff for you!
Beau

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread