🥇 BANNER 1812 WAR 24 POUNDER CANNONBALL FILLED WITH MUSKET BALLS

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a really big hit in about 30ft of water. It took me about 1/2 to dig it out of the clay. When I started cleaning it I found the fuse!! Needless to say I kept it well soaked while I fulled the fuse out and while I was rinsing all the powder out of it I noticed it was full off musket balls. Also pictured is an oak gun powder barrel top with Regimental markings.

Last edited:
Upvote 24

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome seems to be the description of choice. Works for me! WTG

My thinking is because it never got fired and you found the barrel cap, presumable close by, that the ship was sunk! Meaning there's more nearby. Lots more. But you probably thought of that. I'll be watching for more.

Congratulations.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding dive, CD. I really enjoy following your recoveries. Let me ask a dumb question: How is it that the wooden top of barrel would sink to the bottom? Would it have been weighted down by the contents of the barrel? Just curious....

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another "banner" relic that means little to me because there is no history attached. Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death. Very few here post any HISTORY. It would be great if you all posted something that gives us the history without divulging where the items are found. Big freaking deal... you found a cannonball... I want to know the HISTORY and how it got to where it's at. Regardless, awesome find. I would suggest the barrel top is as cool, or cooler, than the cannonball itself.

Troll...the end.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another "banner" relic that means little to me because there is no history attached. Everyone here talks about "saving history". My butt... y'all just save relics from certain death. Very few here post any HISTORY. It would be great if you all posted something that gives us the history without divulging where the items are found. Big freaking deal... you found a cannonball... I want to know the HISTORY and how it got to where it's at. Regardless, awesome find. I would suggest the barrel top is as cool, or cooler, than the cannonball itself.

WOW! Your a happy piece of work. image028.jpg

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find!

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I disagree. You can show me all the relics in the world and they only mean history to the guy holding it. Once it is passed on, sold or whatever... the history of the relic is gone. Simple as that. With no STORY there is no history.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. You can show me all the relics in the world and they only mean history to the guy holding it. Once it is passed on, sold or whatever... the history of the relic is gone. Simple as that. With no STORY there is no history.

Why don't you go back under the bridge you came from and stop crapping on this thread. Or, maybe YOU can try finding something historic and can enlighten us with all the shiny details.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

Why you picking on this?
There's a whole raft of other banner finds and you ain't got nothing to say about them.
Or do they got that HISTORY you're so hung up on.
Go disagree somewhere else

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting peace of history there bud.. Now we know how they did it.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Dad always said to pick your battles. I have talked about this in the past to no avail. Not meaning to pick on anyone... just bummed I never get a lot out of these great finds. They are HUGE lakes, I can't imagine that some historical background is going to cause anyone issue but you guys are so tight it stinks. Y'all act as if I don't get the fact some people will try to use this forum for clues... doesn't mean historical perspective can't be given. Lake Erie, Ontario, St. Claire... all big. REAL BIG. If this is from the Battle of Lake Erie... say so for God's sake, it isn't as if no one has heard of the battle.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Dad always said to pick your battles. I have talked about this in the past to no avail. Not meaning to pick on anyone... just bummed I never get a lot out of these great finds. They are HUGE lakes, I can't imagine that some historical background is going to cause anyone issue but you guys are so tight it stinks. Y'all act as if I don't get the fact some people will try to use this forum for clues... doesn't mean historical perspective can't be given. Lake Erie, Ontario, St. Claire... all big. REAL BIG. If this is from the Battle of Lake Erie... say so for God's sake, it isn't as if no one has heard of the battle.

When you put it that way...
Tell which galaxy your meteorite fell out of , they're big real big

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Maybe it's not out of HOMES which are only 1,344,200 square kilometers at all and it comes out of the river which is a nice 1,197 km long, so maybe it's time you float your boat off this one as it's time you picked a different battle, as this is a great find. Thinking that if somebody wanted to post up their location they would of, just accept it for what it is and enjoy what they have chosen to share. It's posting of this sorts that drives a person to hit the WTF button and it happens everyday and everybody looses out because of some needless rant of a festering poster.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very nice to see these relics up top. The story they could tell.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are Incredible BANNER finds!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Candiver and to ALL.... I feel sorry for your great find(s) with this members "thoughts". NewsMan where do you believe the history goes... "Once it is passed on, sold or whatever..."? I thought you earlier stated there is no history (to you). If you need a story then go read Green Eggs and Ham. NewsMan PLEASE... shut it down!!!!! Candiver you keep diving.... GREAT JOB GUY.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread