1824 General Lafayette Wax Seal Commemorating His Return to New York

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I went back to the same site that we hit last Sunday. I dug the 1788 Connecticut copper that was struck over a Nova Constellatio there. Chris dug a VA halfpenny, 1796 large cent, and a Coronet cent. Kirk dug the 1844 political medal there as well.

Here is Kirk pinpointing a signal in the iron patch.

1.jpg

I decided to snap some other pictures of the site. Here is a pic that I call "Looking out into the Pennsylvania frontier."

2.jpg

Here is another view of the surrounding land from where the home sat. This early settler sure had a beautiful view.

3.jpg

Once again, just like last Sunday, within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got an iffy nickel reading. After I flipped the dirt out, it was still in the hole and reading in the high penny range. I was thrilled when I saw what it was: a 1754 King George II farthing. It is our second farthing this year as a group.

1754 King George II Farthing 010.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 014.JPG

I also found this interesting wax seal. I can't make out what the letters say surrounding the bust of the man. If anyone knows who it is, I would greatly appreciate the needed information!

1754 King George II Farthing 002.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 019.JPG

Side View.JPG

Here are my relics for the day.

1754 King George II Farthing 016.JPG

Upvote 1

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. That guy was a hero and very respected. Just look at all the places and towns named after him all over America. I imagine him returning was a great celebration and he received a hero's welcome. Historic artifact.
Great job t-net on the identification of this artifact.
Congratulations vote is in.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I just popped on this thread, and it looks like people have solved this one, but here's my photo effort.

Lafayette Seal by jhapeman, on Flickr

For what it's worth, I immediately read this as:

"La fayette landed at New York 17 August 1824"

Historically accurate or not, it's definitely a 17 and not a twelve--the seven is distinctly different than the 2 in 1824. My version is a bit clearer than some of the inverts posted.

Jeff

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle,
You made it buddy!!!! A BIG high five on making BANNER. One of the best and rarest finds in a long time.
CONGRATS to you, :occasion14: :occasion18: :wav: :blob6: :blob9: :blob1: :blob3: :love4: :smileinbox:

Dug

U

umrgolf

there you go Kyle, congrats.. credit will be given where credit is due from now on :thumbsup:

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
After reading each and every post, their isn't a single word that I can add to express how great of a find that wax seal is. The beautiful thing about a find like this one is how the forum members worked together to help in identifying who the seal was portraying. What started off as what Kyle called "an interesting find", turned out to be a well deserved banner find. Way to go Kyle.

James.
HomesteadHunter

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You deserved it, bro! Congrats on a well-deserved Banner.

Kirk

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On plate At Castle Garden NY Aug.16th 1824 commemorating General Lafayette. Good find :thumbsup:

Attachments

• H0043-L18612872.jpg
    H0043-L18612872.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,900

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, great find Kyle. After seeing this post on the banner I have spent the last hour reading about Lafayette. Sure was an interesting historic figure. The guy was very close to George Washington throughout the Revolutionary War and is buried in France with soil from Bunker Hill on top of his grave. An American flag flies over his grave site. What an amazing piece of history you have found. Congrats on the banner!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Congrats on the banner Kyle :icon_thumleft:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well-deserved banner, Kyle. This has been an awesome thread. Its amazing how history comes alive though our hobby of metal detecting. I never was particularly interested in the subject of history in school, and now I can't get enough of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread