1824 General Lafayette Wax Seal Commemorating His Return to New York

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I went back to the same site that we hit last Sunday. I dug the 1788 Connecticut copper that was struck over a Nova Constellatio there. Chris dug a VA halfpenny, 1796 large cent, and a Coronet cent. Kirk dug the 1844 political medal there as well.

Here is Kirk pinpointing a signal in the iron patch.

1.jpg

I decided to snap some other pictures of the site. Here is a pic that I call "Looking out into the Pennsylvania frontier."

2.jpg

Here is another view of the surrounding land from where the home sat. This early settler sure had a beautiful view.

3.jpg

Once again, just like last Sunday, within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got an iffy nickel reading. After I flipped the dirt out, it was still in the hole and reading in the high penny range. I was thrilled when I saw what it was: a 1754 King George II farthing. It is our second farthing this year as a group.

1754 King George II Farthing 010.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 014.JPG

I also found this interesting wax seal. I can't make out what the letters say surrounding the bust of the man. If anyone knows who it is, I would greatly appreciate the needed information!

1754 King George II Farthing 002.JPG

1754 King George II Farthing 019.JPG

Side View.JPG

Here are my relics for the day.

1754 King George II Farthing 016.JPG

Upvote 1

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Cograts on the Banner!!!!you guys are true pros!Coins are nice but i always like the rare relics &this is a great 1 !.Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cT...&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is a link that talks about Americans being able to purchase Lafayette souvenirs during his visit.

Whoever lived in this dwelling was 100% in New York celebrating when he came into the harbor. I could bet you the farm on that one! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:

Kirk
No doubt Kirk. And you know he was blowing his Bugle. :wink:
Chris

And playing with the large coppers in his pocket.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cT...&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is a link that talks about Americans being able to purchase Lafayette souvenirs during his visit.

Whoever lived in this dwelling was 100% in New York celebrating when he came into the harbor. I could bet you the farm on that one! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy:

Kirk
Chris

And smoking his copper pipe.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle PA said:
This is, no doubt, the best find of my career so far.

Interesting. I like them both but would definitely put your last CT ahead of this. To me the numismatic history is better than the seal which is what I consider more of a trinket. I'm sure you won't like that word :D but I don't really have a better one at the moment. What we can both agree on is you're having a pretty good Fall so far! In a few years time I'll be interested to see if you still think it's better than the coin.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How neat is that. This is a time in American history where Americans were learning to be Americans and beginning to create and have some history of their own. They were laying the foundations of patriotism.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:

Kirk
Chris

And smoking his copper pipe.

Or putting out his candle. :D

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

Interesting. I like them both but would definitely put your last CT ahead of this. To me the numismatic history is better than the seal which is what I consider more of a trinket. I'm sure you won't like that word :D but I don't really have a better one at the moment. What we can both agree on is you're having a pretty good Fall so far! In a few years time I'll be interested to see if you still think it's better than the coin.

IP, to me, the wax seal is a better find. The settler who drove his stakes into the ground here was, most likely, a Rev War vet. His patriotism is shown in this wax seal. I can just picture him in 1824, gray-haired yet still strong in appearance and speech, cheering for General Lafayette on his arrival, tooting his trumpet just like he did when we won the war many decades before. That alone is priceless!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Kyle PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

IP, to me, the wax seal is a better find. The settler who drove his stakes into the ground here was, most likely, a Rev War vet. His patriotism is shown in this wax seal. I can just picture him in 1824, gray-haired yet still strong in appearance and speech, cheering for General Lafayette on his arrival, tooting his trumpet just like he did when we won the war many decades before. That alone is priceless!
Well said my good nephew.
Unc

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

I completely understand how that thought process can put you over the edge, and that's where we're different because I tend to look at the item more for what it is. When Ironhorse posted his it kind of surprised me, but then kinda sorta rung a bell a little. I'm not sure what it meant to him at the time but I didn't give it the credit it deserved, and didn't really even think of it as being any different than any other wax seal. That might be because I used to drink at a rundown bar called the Lafayette and just thought of it as a very "general" term. General term, general seal, but now much more interesting having given it some thought.

http://www.ottawaplus.ca/ottawa/venues/chateau-lafayette

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
After paying a $25 "quick evaluation" service fee to Early American History Auctions, Inc., I emailed the pictures of my wax seal to them. Dana Linett, who is most known for his appearances on The History Channel's Pawn Stars show, wrote back:

Hello Kyle,

Thank you for using our quick evaluation service.

I have not seen another example of this specific seal before.
It appears from your images to be authentic and correct to the period c. 1824 or so.

It is a special piece, though excavated.
I would think that as is, it should have a collector value of about $500 in today's market to the right collector.

I think it is a neat item. Congratulations on the wonderful find.

Best regards,
Dana Linett, President
Early American

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely historical find ! WOW!!!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Lady Luck is trying to tell you to give up on those lousy coppers and hunt for the REAL relics!

Well done! BIG congrats to KKC!!!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread