1828 LC and a Pistol Barrel

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well today I went and rehunted the 1783 nova site and did quite well. Farmer had called and said his wheat had been cut and that we needed to get detecting right away. Unfortunately the leader of the team is no longer here, so I went solo. It was a hot one out there today, I had all I could take by 1 pm (94 degrees). I still got to hunt for 6 hours though ;D. I started out finding some flat buttons and a thimble. The next target got me pumped up a pistol barrel. It has a makers mark on one side but I can't tell what it says.
Hill Billy Hunting 044.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 030.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 031.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 032.jpg
A little while later the XLT screamed LC and after digging the Nova here already I thought this is gonna be good. Turned out to be an 1828 matron head. :headbang:
Hill Billy Hunting 033.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 035.jpg
I kept plugging away and found more flat buttons and some decorative brass stuff. I thought to myself ,wheres the suspender clips? A short while later one popped up. All in all a great day for me, I sure enjoyed getting out since it's been awhile. Heres some group shots and some of the finds cleaned up.
Hill Billy Hunting 042.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 043.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 039.jpg
Hill Billy Hunting 038.jpg
Hope everyone gets out and finds some treasures.

Hill

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you going to send BB the suspender clip ;D Great find's HB,pistol barrel is awesome :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
romeo-1 said:
That is an awesome find!!!!

Thanks Romeo, I'm liking it! ;D

Great hunt HB The pistol barrel looks like a belgian boot pistol from the CW.. I'll attach a pic of the one I found this spring.. Great copper too man!

yep Jeff it's the same barrel, wish I had more of it. I will have to wait till next year to hunt the spot again.

KylePA said:
Way to go, HB, on those early finds. I love the boot pistol and, of course, the largie. ;D

Thanks Kyle, it was a good day!

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
Hells Yeah! :headbang:

GREAT boot pistol--and it looks like you got a piece of the powder flask from it! :o

It's neat that you got a piece of ANOTHER cloak clasp.

That's a great looking largie too. That reverse it Top Notch.

Nice work, you Dog! ;D

-Buck

P.S.--Glad to see you boys still digging the goodies up there, even without the fearless leader. :)

We don't need you anymore, we were just using you :tongue3:.
Sorry you weren't here to hunt with me bud ,maybe next time.

Sniffy said:
Thats funny, I was just wishing you good luck on my shoe buckle post, and then realized you allready came home and posted..haha...nice job man, looks like a eventful day of diggin.

Thanks Sniff, Was a good day ,but hot.

Nana40 said:
I do hope your leader has some of that good luck/skill left for Bama hunting, HB. :tongue3: :D If nothing else, he's gonna be a pound or two heavier when he leaves. ;D :D (working on those maps, BB) :wink:

Fantastic hunting HB. Love all them finds! :notworthy:

N~

Yeh I hear the leader has hit some brick walls in Alabama hunting, maps are not available I guess.
More like 5-10 pounds when he leaves. Louisiana will be kind to him I'm sure.
Thanks Nana

coinmaster2db said:
Cool finds.

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

You been hunting any Mike? It's good to hear from you. Get out there and find us some more goodies so BBoy can feel like he taught us well :laughing9:.

VOL1266-X said:
Wow HB, Great Finds!!! I really like the boot pistol barrel. Glad you could take the heat. Your former mentor and hunting partner should be proud. You hunted like the pro you are. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, not sure about the pro part, but I do allright. The heat will get ya, I started hunting at sunrise...that helped.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Newt said:
Only 6hrs.? I thought you were a cracker. :tongue3:
Those are some great finds. Get that pistol cleaned up and give us a confirmation on the maker and time period.
Newt

Manufactured by Liege, belgian made 1840-1860 I think.
Hill Billy Cracker

RPG said:
What an awesome hunt. :thumbsup:

I've been waiting for this post. BB told me the farmer called and said the wheat was cut. You did great today. See, it's not all about the leader, it's in your heart. :)

I sure wish your leader could work some magic in Bama. We're having a hard time down here. :-\

That's a great pistol barrel. I only dream of finding something like that. And that LC is in great condition. I'd kill for one of those flat buttons right now. :D

Good Luck
Randy

Sorry to hear about your efforts in hunting with BBoy. Not sure why the maps aren't working for you guys, but you guys will figure it out. I'll send you a button ;D

kuger said:
Man!!!Stellar relic hunt!!!!I love those Muff Pistols and they actually pre-date the Civil war(It was sated that they were C.W. period)I have personally seen 6 come from early 1850's sites :thumbsup:

Thanks Kuger, I read somewhere where the pistols were made between 1840-1860.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve in PA said:
That was a good day of digging, congrats on those finds!

Thanks Steve, welcome to Tnet.

Newt said:
Did that large cent ring up right?
What do you mean? It's in my case :tongue3:

RON (PA) said:
You did an awesome job with awesome finds. Maybe the rest of the gun is still there.

This spot has been hit twice, I'm sure some of it is still there but the plow could have it strung out all over. I hate plows, I'm sure that's what tore up the powder flask. Will go back and hunt this spot again next year and look for more parts.

civilman1 said:
Are you going to send BB the suspender clip ;D Great find's HB,pistol barrel is awesome :icon_thumright:

No I'm keeping this one, he has enough clips in the collection already. Thanks, Hill

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Hill Billy said:
Steve in PA said:

Newt said:

RON (PA) said:
You did an awesome job with awesome finds. Maybe the rest of the gun is still there.

This spot has been hit twice, I'm sure some of it is still there but the plow could have it strung out all over. I hate plows, I'm sure that's what tore up the powder flask. Will go back and hunt this spot again next year and look for more parts.

civilman1 said:

No I'm keeping this one, he has enough clips in the collection already. Thanks, Hill

The numbers on your machine. Did you know what it was before digging it?
Newt

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Hill Billy, what a day you had!

umrgolf 2010 IDed your barrel correctly in it being a Belgian boot pistol. (wtg golf) Kuger has it right also, in the fact that these have also turned up in earlier sites of the CW out here in the west. As far as the nickname "muff gun" lets just say that this was a favorite of the ladies and where else was a better place to hide it! (also a cylindrical fur wrap ladies used to keep their hands warm, probably a better place to hide their pistol) But then again that is where the slang came from for the female body part, so I guess that will be the mystery. :dontknow:

Again, congrats on an awesome day of digging relics!

IM

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironman! said:

umrgolf 2010 IDed your barrel correctly in it being a Belgian boot pistol. (wtg golf) Kuger has it right also, in the fact that these have also turned up in earlier sites of the CW out here in the west. As far as the nickname "muff gun" lets just say that this was a favorite of the ladies and where else was a better place to hide it!

IM

:laughing7:Ha!Ironman,I just spit on my key board!!I didnt know where that term came from!!Makes sense now!!! ;D

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Newt said:
Hill Billy said:
Steve in PA said:

Newt said:

RON (PA) said:

civilman1 said:

The numbers on your machine. Did you know what it was before digging it?
Newt

Yes I knew what it was before digging it. If you would listen to me and go buy an ID machine you would understand where I'm coming from. LC's tend to all ring up the same. Buy a Whites fool. :tongue3:

Ironman! said:

umrgolf 2010 IDed your barrel correctly in it being a Belgian boot pistol. (wtg golf) Kuger has it right also, in the fact that these have also turned up in earlier sites of the CW out here in the west. As far as the nickname "muff gun" lets just say that this was a favorite of the ladies and where else was a better place to hide it!

IM
Thanks for clarifying the term "muff gun" ironman.

Hill

Nisroc said:
WTG HB! As hot as it's been here I'm glad you got out to hunt. Love the finds, miss seeing your posts.
all the best
Nis

Thanks nis, hope to see you this fall and put you on some old stuff. Get ready!

sonny61 said:
WTG congrats on the barrel and the LC. nice finds

Thanks sonny

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonder where the forum stalker is? No reply from him...seems odd :dontknow:

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Help I'm falling and I can't get up. :laughing9:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude what an awesome find!!!! :hello2: You deserve that one for digging in the heat. BTW did you have to make an emergency run to shelter 3?

KFB

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
kindafoundabuckle said:
Dude what an awesome find!!!! :hello2: You deserve that one for digging in the heat. BTW did you have to make an emergency run to shelter 3?

KFB

You know it,after I ate DQ on the side of the cemetery. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Man!!!Stellar relic hunt!!!!I love those Muff Pistols and they actually pre-date the Civil war(It was sated that they were C.W. period)I have personally seen 6 come from early 1850's sites :thumbsup:

You are correct. After some research, it appears these Liege pistols date from at least the 1840s, and possibly as early as the 1820s.

:thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son found the lever from a Spencer Carbine this spring.... He did not know what it was and brought it to me to ID.... when I told him he jumped and shouted "whoohoo!!" and took off running to show his brother... ;D One of those father-son moments that I'll never forget.... :)

Which makes me think I can only imagine your reaction when you dug that barrel! :icon_thumright: Not that you would react like a 15 year old.... :wink:

Great finds! :headbang: :notworthy:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking barrel, and a LC for a bonus. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread