pennyback.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Leon said:
Wow!, awesome half, WTG!!!
Something to look for on that 1864 IH is an "L in the neck". I have never seen one myself, but according to CoinFacts they're out there. They show a closeup on that page of one, but it looks more like a "D" than an "L" to me?
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

The coin appears to be of the copper/nickel variety ( Fatty ). Only bronze variety 1864's can have an "L".

As for the half ..... just refer to her as Dolly Parton ...... AWESOME Bust !! ;)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my,oh my......................SLAP.............................WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME? by the way....did i say congrats. oh my.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Mississippi Yankee said:
coin appears to be of the copper/nickel variety ( Fatty ). Only bronze variety 1864's can have an "L".
As for the half ..... just refer to her as Dolly Parton ...... AWESOME Bust !! ;)

I think you just coined a new term for these beauties (no pun intended). "Dolly Partons". Kind of like a four set of queens is called "Four Ladies"

What do you think we should call bust large cents? "Pam Andersons"?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF
y are the pictures cropped no need to crop a picture if it DOESNT have water marks
this is a shifty post ill catch flack for this but who cares :-\

I have to crop every pic I post. The images my camera takes are too high res and I need to shrink the file size to get them to post.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF
y are the pictures cropped no need to crop a picture if it DOESNT have water marks

I have to crop every pic I post. The images my camera takes are too high res and I need to shrink the file size to get them to post.

All you need to do to fix this problem is open them in paint and just rename them and that should take care of the file size.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
bscofield6 said:
Skrimpy said:
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF
All you need to do to fix this problem is open them in paint and just rename them and that should take care of the file size.

I've done this. I still have to crop to drop the file size.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
bscofield6 said:
Skrimpy said:
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF

I've done this. I still have to crop to drop the file size.
Me two :P

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF

I know people do this but I just don't understand why. It doesn't make sense to me that someone would try to impress people they don't know. ???
I'm not saying your wrong b/c you could be dead on, but the question is, where is the gain in posting a fake find?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Skrimpy said:
EDDEKALB said:
FIRST OFF

I'll try that bscofield6, thanks for the tip

The Coins are great looking, I have yet to find a busted coin, maybe this year! Thanks for posting your finds and thanks for the pictures.

HH, Ringfinder

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
First I want to say that that half is great I hope is really is a dug coin, the IH certainly looks like it is.
The detail of the half is some of the best I have seen, ( is that a die crack on the number one of the 1829)

Be nice to hear more of the story on how these coins were found. Like what sort of area and soil. How deep they were. What else was being recovered.

What direction is this post going. Sometimes I get turned off reading some of the post and responses.
I see this post was either his first or second post. I would hate to have him not feel welcome if he is finding great finds like those. I know I was unsure about posting some of my finds.

And I also agree there are people, that jump in to give a grade for a coin that is sometimes way off, I have seen hereon another post just recently stated that a coin was MS 63 or 64, when the coin was more of a nice VF. I have been collecting coins since the 1960's and I still learn new stuff everday and feel comfortable grading a coin, but if your going to offer up a grade, seems like a person would put some effort in learning at least the basics of coin grading. People should look at coin grading like they are going to purchase that coin, when that happens most times the grading is not so over stated.

Now there are other times when I read a post where in my opinion something is just not right. Like a couple people are having here. What I mean, for instance, was that coin dug, is it a real diamond or even if a item is real gold. I am sure we all want the members here to have great finds everytime but sometimes that is just not so. Should the people with a lot of experience post their opinion good or bad, or should we just say great find and go on to the next post?

I hope others know what I am trying to say, there may be a few people think I am being negative. I know I am not great at writing but I do not want to be negative.

As for this post I have dug coins that have come out of the ground in that good of condition, not bust coins.. but at least a few Mercury dimes I have found are that good.

I say great finds, let's see some more of what you have. I wish I had founds coins like that last time I was in Delaware.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
mountainman 2 said:
I'm ready to give the poster the benefit of a doubt. If it is an authentic find then he has earned the recognition. My first post was also my best post so far and there were probably people out there saying 'no way he found those".If there is any deceit at all, the poster isn't gaining anything.On that note Onlylar, very nice finds. Beautiful condition.Can we see a picture of the reverse?MM2

What was your first post?....Oh got it. The GW buttons like from National Treasure, only yours are real. You sell them? Put them in the safe deposit box?

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Fantastic half, man. Ain't it great that we live in an area where such great finds can be made. I myself found an 1822 capped bust half a few years ago in just as good a shape as yours. Came from the site of the old Philadelphia Country Club. Sorry now that I sold it so soon, but it helped pay for an 1890 $20 gold piece. Happy hunting-go find some more.
Bob

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
EDDEKALB said:

Pardon the french but that is a shweeeeet effin tag. Wish I could find something like that up here. I am sure they are here. Slavery wasn't only in the south. It was just abolished earlier...which would probably make one found here in the same condition more valuable...Christie's baby. It would go straight to Christie's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread