fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful finds, Fossis...........................

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone on this site needs to get familiar with coin grades before they start grading other people's coins and throwing around numismatic terms. I usually see WAY over-estimated grades on coins, when it is obvious that folks have never seen a grading guide, purchased an expensive coin (where a few points grade-wise meant a big swing in price tag), or know quite what they're talking about. (So in this respect, an ultra-conservative grade of XF in this case is refreshing). Sorry, and I do apologize to buscadero, but it is a peeve of mine. I can't tell 100% clearly from the photo, but it looks like there is very little--if indeed ANY wear on the half dollar. THIS IS A SPECTACULAR COIN!!!!!!!!!! I only have a grading guide from 1993 at my fingertips right now, and back then the coin would've been worth $700-$800. I hope you send this one in to be professionally graded. It will be well worth it as long as it isn't field cleaned or scratched in any way (thereby securing only a "net" grade). This beauty is at least an AU-55, if not higher. My hunch, judging from the frosty sheen on the coin, is that it is MS-60 or above.

Kudos on a GREAT find!

Buckleboy

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I agree with buckleboy. That coin is in absolutely stunning condition. It's hard to believe it was in the ground so long...Nice.
Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, that Bust is great! HH, Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin ya got there!

HH
-GC

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!, awesome half, WTG!!!
Something to look for on that 1864 IH is an "L in the neck". I have never seen one myself, but according to CoinFacts they're out there. They show a closeup on that page of one, but it looks more like a "D" than an "L" to me?
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about the best silver coin i have ever seen come out of the ground in that shape.Amazing and congrats on your find.

t.p

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.....very nice....and yes it is in excellent shape. Kudos!!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
The condition of the coin just means that it hasn't been handled much. It could have been dropped shortly after it was minted, but not necessarily. The amazing thing to me is that IH. Copper corrodes quick in the ground, silver doesn't. You found a couple of really nice and most likely valuable coins along the delaware! Where were you? Near the gap? Or were you furthur up towards NY? Back in the 1800s the delaware was supposed to have been some of the best trout fishing in the east...actually rivaling rivers the mid north west. You find a lot of those old iregular hunks of lead fishing sinkers too?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
downindixie said:
According to PCGS a 1829 half is bring $175.00 in EF and $600.00 in AU.This is todays market prices.The find is fantastic.

Speaking of fantastic how about that bottle in your avatar? Very nice. Is that a rare color or is blue still more rare with this bottle?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions