Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I ran into a fellow coil swinger while on a hunt. We shared the same hill on that hunt and we both came away with a few silvers, a new friendship, and an exchange of information. I told him about an area I was working up in the woods of Westchester County. It's a private permission, but I can take whoever I want as long as I'm with them.
He told me about an old house location and about how he dug some large coppers. He said that if you move a little away from the early settlement, you will get nothing old.
Most of us can't believe the crazy weather we are getting, so when I heard the prediction of 50 degrees and sunny for today, I decided to check this place out. Loaded up the bike, got some gas, and headed for a place that I was hoping would give up a little silver. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Had a little problem following the directions, but after a few turns here and there, I rolled up on a grove that had some huge old trees.
I turned on the DEUS and decided to go with a program that a friend tightened me up with. It's a silver sniffer and helps me stay away from digging those bottle caps that sometimes sound so good.
I picked a hilly area that sloped downward under the trees. An excellent place for a picnic back in the day. I sometimes try to envision what the ladies perceive as a romantic place to relax and make goo-goo eyes at each other. When that mood is set, no one is paying attention to what may slip out of the pockets.
My very first coin was a 91 at about 8 inches. At that depth, I'm digging. Turned out to be a wheat penny. The very next signal is a 92 / 95 at 8 inches. I'm thinking maybe a silver dime, possibly a silver quarter. I dig a good plug about 6 inches deep and hit the hole with my pin pointer. There is a strong signal in the hole. I scoop out what I can with my hand and check the hole. Nothing, I check my dirt pile and finally locate a good signal. It's shiny and really small. I'm thinking,,, oh my, I finally got a 3 center. I flake off a little dirt, hoping to see a roman numeral III.
Instead, I see an eagle with 5c. under it. Wait a minute, I flip it over and I see a Capped Bust with an 1832 date. NO WAY!!!
Wow,,, took a few pictures and then sent them to a friend. His response,, Dude,, That's a F*^&##(* half dime!!!!
I remember finding a skeleton key after the Half Dime but I have to be honest. The remaining 3 hours of the hunt were a blur.
You know, I see my fellow Tnet Members post their super cool finds and I always say, man that is nice. I'm genuinely happy for them. Today I'm happy for me. This is a dream coin and a Bucket Lister for most of us. I'm really glad to experience the fact that there are still some old coins waiting to be found. I was hoping for a place that would give up a "little" silver and that's exactly what I got.

IMG_5842.JPG IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5843.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 57

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics look fine and that capped bust is a beaut! :thumbsup:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics opened just fine and there's one Sweet Capped Bust Half dime there!! Awesome!!
Congrats on scratching off one Sweet bucket lister!!
Besides the Great finds, Awesome post!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the pics fine now , that's a great find ! (I tried to delete the earlier post through edit and delete - any help is appreciated !)

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congratulations man. Great post, great story and SICK capped bust. Perfect condition. Can't ask for much more than that on a 50 degree Jan. Ha. :occasion14:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're happy with that little silver?? I'm just as happy for you, atw...........
Marvelous find and it should take a prominent place in your display, journal, heart........congratulations!!
I could feel the excitement in your post........it was wonderful!!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just between us deplorables _____________________ that is a HUGE FIND :notworthy::hello2::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: & the key is bada$$

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beauty capped 1/2 dime. It takes a lot of time and persistence to score one of those. GREAT find!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Kev! I've been detecting for more than 35 years and have never found any bust silver. Lots of silver, but never bust silver. Great find! You put in the hours. You deserve it.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Capped Bust 1/2 Dime,spectacle find !
I have several but one is a 1830.
Gary

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess back in 1850 or so, a guy would roll around with a girl, and lose a coin...he'd be kinda bummed, but no big deal, cuz he was getting some nookie!....
Finding his coin is better than nookie, I'd say....

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely an incredible find! Capped Bust does not come up very often and is a rare find in Metal Detecting. You put in so much time you deserve this my friend. Congratulations in my vote for BANNER is in.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find, just plain killer. Congrats ATW!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find, just plain killer. Congrats ATW!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread