Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I ran into a fellow coil swinger while on a hunt. We shared the same hill on that hunt and we both came away with a few silvers, a new friendship, and an exchange of information. I told him about an area I was working up in the woods of Westchester County. It's a private permission, but I can take whoever I want as long as I'm with them.
He told me about an old house location and about how he dug some large coppers. He said that if you move a little away from the early settlement, you will get nothing old.
Most of us can't believe the crazy weather we are getting, so when I heard the prediction of 50 degrees and sunny for today, I decided to check this place out. Loaded up the bike, got some gas, and headed for a place that I was hoping would give up a little silver. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Had a little problem following the directions, but after a few turns here and there, I rolled up on a grove that had some huge old trees.
I turned on the DEUS and decided to go with a program that a friend tightened me up with. It's a silver sniffer and helps me stay away from digging those bottle caps that sometimes sound so good.
I picked a hilly area that sloped downward under the trees. An excellent place for a picnic back in the day. I sometimes try to envision what the ladies perceive as a romantic place to relax and make goo-goo eyes at each other. When that mood is set, no one is paying attention to what may slip out of the pockets.
My very first coin was a 91 at about 8 inches. At that depth, I'm digging. Turned out to be a wheat penny. The very next signal is a 92 / 95 at 8 inches. I'm thinking maybe a silver dime, possibly a silver quarter. I dig a good plug about 6 inches deep and hit the hole with my pin pointer. There is a strong signal in the hole. I scoop out what I can with my hand and check the hole. Nothing, I check my dirt pile and finally locate a good signal. It's shiny and really small. I'm thinking,,, oh my, I finally got a 3 center. I flake off a little dirt, hoping to see a roman numeral III.
Instead, I see an eagle with 5c. under it. Wait a minute, I flip it over and I see a Capped Bust with an 1832 date. NO WAY!!!
Wow,,, took a few pictures and then sent them to a friend. His response,, Dude,, That's a F*^&##(* half dime!!!!
I remember finding a skeleton key after the Half Dime but I have to be honest. The remaining 3 hours of the hunt were a blur.
You know, I see my fellow Tnet Members post their super cool finds and I always say, man that is nice. I'm genuinely happy for them. Today I'm happy for me. This is a dream coin and a Bucket Lister for most of us. I'm really glad to experience the fact that there are still some old coins waiting to be found. I was hoping for a place that would give up a "little" silver and that's exactly what I got.

IMG_5842.JPG IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5843.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 57

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Capped Bust 1/2 Dime,spectacle find !
I have several but one is a 1830.
Gary

Congrats on your first capped bust silver. They don't come along often, unless your name is TrapperArt. It took me 27 years to find my first capped bust, which was an 1830 half dime.

Here in the post war South my "Gap" is 1839-1903 on Silver Coins.

1830 CB Seems to be a popular Date; I found one a few years ago & it was an 1830.'Half Dime', It's one of my top 2 favorite coins that I have Dug.

Congratz on the Nice one you got.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful half dime, and still a bucket lister for me. Congrats!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
that's a sweet little silver coin!
older US coins seldom show up here but that's something that could easily show up at one our sites one of these days

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful cap 1/2 dime, congratulations! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super find ATW! :notworthy:

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knocked it out of the park with that one. Good for you, congratulations!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!! That's a sweet half dime, congrats!!!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1832 half dime I found a few years ago remains my favorite coin find. Nice going!

1832bust.jpg

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the compliments guys,, I'm still flying from this find.
I hope that this is a sign of good things to come this year.

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find against the wind! I actually found one with the same date less than a week ago and so I can feel your excitement! After reading all the comments I now understand just how rare it is to find one of these. I live in the TN area and have been into the hobby for 3 years. I have never found an 1800s coin except a shield nickel where the date was not legible. I have found five coins from the 1700s, KG11 and 111s. That just seems so awkward that I found 5 from the 1700s to 2 from the 1800s. I suppose any coin from 1832 is rare to find but especially a half dime! The guy that owns that property, which was built in 1807, said it was the coolest thing he has ever seen anyone find in that area. He was taking pictures with his phone. Anyways, dont want to ramble but great find and I share your excitement!:laughing7::hello2:

Attachments

• 1832 capped bust.jpg
    1832 capped bust.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 55

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I can't believe I missed this. Congratulations, I'm very happy for you, I bet that felt so good seeing that eagle instead of those numerals. It made me say WOW when I looked at the closeups, very sweet detail. Good for you, you deserve it after digging all that trash from those parks. I really like it that you found it with your Deus, makes me feel connected. I'm sure any of the machines would have heard it too.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody else having trouble opening thes attachments ? I tried all of them - no pics

If you're looking on a phone try tapping the 3 dots on the top right. It'll ask you for web view it should help. I have to do that sometimes

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm originally from that area. My brother got me interested in MD ing and had lots of great permissions up there because he was in the historical society for putnam county and a Putnam sheriff. He passed away a few years ago unfortunately. I know he was in a dig club up that way.We were from Brewster and he was a lifelong resident. He left me his detector. He found lots of great things but didn't get out as much as he would have liked to. Whereabouts in westchester are you?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm originally from that area. My brother got me interested in MD ing and had lots of great permissions up there because he was in the historical society for putnam county and a Putnam sheriff. He passed away a few years ago unfortunately. I know he was in a dig club up that way.We were from Brewster and he was a lifelong resident. He left me his detector. He found lots of great things but didn't get out as much as he would have liked to. Whereabouts in westchester are you?

I'm actually in NYC. My sister owns property in Putnam. (Mahopac) I had another sister in Valhalla, Westchester County. We have members of Tnet who belong to the MDING club on Brewster. I think "Don in Brewster " and "Diggin Dude" are both members of that club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread