Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I found an 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar that was pretty nicked up. It's so small, I thought it was from a charm bracelet or earring, but when I looked up the diameter and weight, my find matched the website's information I checked. I then took it to a gold dealer who verified it was 22K, which matched the 90% gold of the actual dollar coin. So, I am assuming it's real at this point and is my first gold coin! I've been on a buzz since Sunday from it and still can't believe I have finally gotten one - albeit as small a one as I could possibly get!
Best part - my son told me that now that I've found a gold coin, I'm now a "real treasure hunter!" :laughing7:

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only?? 1849 LH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Most never find a gold coin. Just appreciate the one you've found. There will be other finds to make you smile.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the gold coin. Would be nice to see some pics. I found a 5 dollar gold piece and I believe there is more gold coins out there, we just have to keep at it and who knows.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I found an 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar that was pretty nicked up. It's so small, I thought it was from a charm bracelet or earring, but when I looked up the diameter and weight, my find matched the website's information I checked. I then took it to a gold dealer who verified it was 22K, which matched the 90% gold of the actual dollar coin. So, I am assuming it's real at this point and is my first gold coin! I've been on a buzz since Sunday from it and still can't believe I have finally gotten one - albeit as small a one as I could possibly get!
Best part - my son told me that now that I've found a gold coin, I'm now a "real treasure hunter!" :laughing7:

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only??

I'm convinced that we can find anything we want if we just believe it's possible and work hard to do it. If I was you I'd put colonial gold on my list and just keep on digging! I found a Mass silver a few years ago and truly believe it's not the last. Congrats. Love to see a pic

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Pics will be nice too.

How did the guy test it? Hopefully not with the scratch test.

1849 LH.jpg

I hope this picture post works.

The test was to rub the coin on a pad that looked like hard rubber. Then they put acid on the mark. They had different acid depending on what the karat was, and mine registered at 22K. They made me a melt price on the spot, but I said no thanks!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm convinced that we can find anything we want if we just believe it's possible and work hard to do it. If I was you I'd put colonial gold on my list and just keep on digging! I found a Mass silver a few years ago and truly believe it's not the last. Congrats. Love to see a pic

If I find colonial gold in Arkansas, that would be quite a story! That shilling you found is awesome! I'd love to hunt the northeast someday.

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Pics will be nice too.

How did the guy test it? Hopefully not with the scratch test.

I just posted a pic on another response. Should have done that to start. It's pretty beat up. It was in an lot where a 100+ year old house had been torn down about 15 years ago, and I think it may have been abused by the machinery used when they tore it down.

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold coin. Would be nice to see some pics. I found a 5 dollar gold piece and I believe there is more gold coins out there, we just have to keep at it and who knows.

I like that attitude! Congrats on the $5 gold -- it makes your heart stagger when you realize it's real, doesn't it??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!! Congratulations!!!! :occasion14::headbang::hello2::icon_thumleft:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job by you by not taking melt price.... yours is a keepsake for a lifetime....
A gold coin dug is like getting a hole in one in golf....
Neither have happened to me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only?? View attachment 1471075

The answer to your question is - YES.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/470776-cruteams-gold-coin-collection.html

Keep at it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have had a buzz the last couple days I would have been smashed wow thats banner all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!This is what its all about!!!!!

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an amazingly rare find! Hard to predict if there'll be more in store- I've been at it 26 years and consider myself a pretty well-skilled hunter- still haven't found one, so you never know. Even if you never find another one, you are already a part of a pretty elite club! Here's hoping there's more in store for both of us!

-- Jeff --

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you can say "I metal detect and I have dug a gold coin". I think we all wish we could say that. Congratulations!

There are members here who have dug multiple gold coins, so it does happen. However the vast majority of hunters will never dig one. Location + persistence is the key.

Thanks a lot by the way. It's going to rain and be windy tonight, but all this talk of gold coins is convincing me to go out and detect anyway heh.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging a gold coin is still on my bucket list. That's one less for me to find. Enjoy the high, finds like that are few and far between. Heck I consider finding a wheat penny keeps me from being skunked. I have found many firsts and keep on swinging the coil to find more, hope you do to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread