Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I found an 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar that was pretty nicked up. It's so small, I thought it was from a charm bracelet or earring, but when I looked up the diameter and weight, my find matched the website's information I checked. I then took it to a gold dealer who verified it was 22K, which matched the 90% gold of the actual dollar coin. So, I am assuming it's real at this point and is my first gold coin! I've been on a buzz since Sunday from it and still can't believe I have finally gotten one - albeit as small a one as I could possibly get!
Best part - my son told me that now that I've found a gold coin, I'm now a "real treasure hunter!" :laughing7:

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only?? 1849 LH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without reading all the reply's.
Luck , Fate , time hunting, old sites , broken jewelry , + other things will dictate if you did another one.

Most will find none maybe 1 in a lifetime (I never dug one) & some will find 2-or 10 'more likely if you hunt out West imo.
&
Some will dig a Hoard .
Time will tell, Conratz on finding 1 & a $1 one at that.
I would have thought Can slaw on that one unless it was a (dig it all site).

Was it from a Rocky area ?

Still a Banner .

Thanks for the thoughts and insights. I hunt in the foothills of the Ozarks and into Oklahoma, some southeast Kansas. Most of the areas are pretty rocky.

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering.

Whatever happened with Mr, Fisher.?

Is he still alive?

I think that I can recall Law Suites & such.

"More $ more problems"

Died almost 20 years ago; was about 75 I think. He won his case at the Supreme Court and has a terrific treasure museum in south Florida if you ever get that way!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Died almost 20 years ago; was about 75 I think. He won his case at the Supreme Court and has a terrific treasure museum in south Florida if you ever get that way!

I'd love to check that out, We plan on going to FL in Sept.

You know ....I think it was in 1989 my late Mom Got me a Nice Silver Crucifix (made with Silver from the Atocha) on a Silver chain as My main Christmas present.

I Got Drunk that Night & was Rolling around in Some hot girls yard (as I barely recall) & lost it.

The house is Still there , & I finally got the courage to ask to look for it a couple years ago , but the lady that answered the door thought I was crazy looking for something that was lost 25 years ago. I told her it was Silver & should be easy to ID.

She was Weary tho, + she had one of those "Cancer Caps " (For lack of a better word) like my Mom wore during Chemo, so I did not push the issue. She took my # but I never heard from her.

My go ask again in the Fall.

Sorry to get off Track, I'd def, hit that area again cause where there is 1 there could be more. A Hot Spot U know.

Good Luck & look forward to seeing some Mid West Relics & Coins in the future.
Davers

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question in your op Javadroid, "am I likely ever to have another guild coin? I would say likely, no, possible?, deffinately yes. As they say you have to get outhouse lucky and be in the right location.

I was that way in the spring and again the fall of 2014 where a colonialstylehome once stood, than again again in Feb. 2o16 in of all places, behind an abandoned mobile home on a small town city lot. A house had stood on that lot many, many years before. Notice small pic next to my user name.

I just never post finds on forums, as other members have long noticed. When it comes to gold rings, only one ever, plenty junkets yes, and silver coin quanties others post can make me simply blush in shame and make me feel as if my detecting abilities seriously lack. But as gold coins go you can and you have gotten extremely lucky, I know.

So congratulations on your find and good luck on your quest for more and just do not expect it and that's when it Will happen if ever again.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible find. IA gold coin is basically the holy grail of detecting. I hope to come across at least one before I croak..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread