Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I found an 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar that was pretty nicked up. It's so small, I thought it was from a charm bracelet or earring, but when I looked up the diameter and weight, my find matched the website's information I checked. I then took it to a gold dealer who verified it was 22K, which matched the 90% gold of the actual dollar coin. So, I am assuming it's real at this point and is my first gold coin! I've been on a buzz since Sunday from it and still can't believe I have finally gotten one - albeit as small a one as I could possibly get!
Best part - my son told me that now that I've found a gold coin, I'm now a "real treasure hunter!" :laughing7:

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only?? 1849 LH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you not be happy for a week at least before you moan about finding the next one!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. As far as if you will ever find another one - it all depends on where you hunt, and where you step at that particular hunt, but best of luck to you on another one.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found one gold coin it means where ever you found it will likely produce more - or at least coins from the same time period which are quite rare in most parts! Take special care to hunt the area you found the gold coin in very thoroughly, you may be surprised but sometimes finding one gold coin leads to more nearby as the coin may have fallen out of a pocket long ago that had a hole in it - and that pocket would be losing other coins as the person walked along leaving them behind for you to find 150 years later!

So my advice is to keep looking, this is definitely not your one and only IF you take the initiative and just keep searching. Treasure comes to those who are persistent. Excellent job so far, you are a real treasure hunter now!

:treasurechest::occasion14:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on a great score.

One of us on here has found more gold coins than probably all of us on this site in America have found put together. That would be Tom in California. I got a nice 1893CC eagle out of a park in the 1990's.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you not be happy for a week at least before you moan about finding the next one!

That's like when Mel Fisher was recovering gold coins off the East coast of Florida from the 1715 Spanish Fleet wrecks and no matter how many gold coins he would find he would always complain that it was just not enough - that he wanted more - and that attitude lead him to sell all that gold he had found and use it to finance his quest for the mother load - the Atocha, and he found it in the end. So the moral of the story is enjoy your treasure, but don't stop and 'be happy for a week' if it means pausing the hunt. The hunt is the best part - the treasure is simply the trophy you get at the end.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats! how did this coin ring up? foil? tab? zinc range?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging for 40 years and I've found a ton of stuff, but never found a gold coin. Congratulations on yours, you're a lucky guy!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazingly rare find! Hard to predict if there'll be more in store- I've been at it 26 years and consider myself a pretty well-skilled hunter- still haven't found one, so you never know. Even if you never find another one, you are already a part of a pretty elite club! Here's hoping there's more in store for both of us!

-- Jeff --

Thanks Jeff - and I agree! Best to you in your pursuits as well!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! how did this coin ring up? foil? tab? zinc range?

It was between the nickle and tab indicators on the AT Pro, mid 50's range. Not real clear signal, but it's a tiny coin (12.7 mm and 1.67g). If I had been at a more modern site, I probably would have passed on it (LESSON LEARNED!!) Because of the site's age, I assume, I wasn't finding any tabs, so I was curious when I dug, hoping for a ring or Liberty Head nickle (don't we all?). One reason I like to hunt older abandoned sites it that I can trust the "Rings/Gold" range to hit less trash, or at least more interesting trash! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you can say "I metal detect and I have dug a gold coin". I think we all wish we could say that. Congratulations!

There are members here who have dug multiple gold coins, so it does happen. However the vast majority of hunters will never dig one. Location + persistence is the key.

Thanks a lot by the way. It's going to rain and be windy tonight, but all this talk of gold coins is convincing me to go out and detect anyway heh.

Thanks J -- I'll be looking forward to your post when you find yours -- Today could be the day!!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found one gold coin it means where ever you found it will likely produce more - or at least coins from the same time period which are quite rare in most parts! Take special care to hunt the area you found the gold coin in very thoroughly, you may be surprised but sometimes finding one gold coin leads to more nearby as the coin may have fallen out of a pocket long ago that had a hole in it - and that pocket would be losing other coins as the person walked along leaving them behind for you to find 150 years later!

So my advice is to keep looking, this is definitely not your one and only IF you take the initiative and just keep searching. Treasure comes to those who are persistent. Excellent job so far, you are a real treasure hunter now!

:treasurechest::occasion14:

:icon_thumright: Thanks UnderMiner! Really appreciate the advice and encouragement!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's like when Mel Fisher was recovering gold coins off the East coast of Florida from the 1715 Spanish Fleet wrecks and no matter how many gold coins he would find he would always complain that it was just not enough - that he wanted more - and that attitude lead him to sell all that gold he had found and use it to finance his quest for the mother load - the Atocha, and he found it in the end. So the moral of the story is enjoy your treasure, but don't stop and 'be happy for a week' if it means pausing the hunt. The hunt is the best part - the treasure is simply the trophy you get at the end.

One of my favorite responses - thanks much.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
niiiiice!! Congratulations. I've been hunting hard for a number of years, in old areas, no gold coins yet! Not from anyone in my immediate group actually. We're close, I know that much. :)

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
niiiiice!! Congratulations. I've been hunting hard for a number of years, in old areas, no gold coins yet! Not from anyone in my immediate group actually. We're close, I know that much. :)

I know I was much more lucky than anything, but I do believe finding likely sites greatly increases the odds. I hope you get yours soon! All I can find myself thinking about is wanting to get back out there swinging...

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I would definitely go back to that site and hit it hard!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I found an 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar that was pretty nicked up. It's so small, I thought it was from a charm bracelet or earring, but when I looked up the diameter and weight, my find matched the website's information I checked. I then took it to a gold dealer who verified it was 22K, which matched the 90% gold of the actual dollar coin. So, I am assuming it's real at this point and is my first gold coin! I've been on a buzz since Sunday from it and still can't believe I have finally gotten one - albeit as small a one as I could possibly get!
Best part - my son told me that now that I've found a gold coin, I'm now a "real treasure hunter!" :laughing7:

I'd like to know from you who have hunted for a long time, am I likely to ever have another gold coin? I've talked to a couple of more experienced coin shooters who have never found one at all, so it's made me all the more stunned. Can anyone encourage me I haven't likely found my one and only?? View attachment 1471075

Without reading all the reply's.
Luck , Fate , time hunting, old sites , broken jewelry , + other things will dictate if you did another one.

Most will find none maybe 1 in a lifetime (I never dug one) & some will find 2-or 10 'more likely if you hunt out West imo.
&
Some will dig a Hoard .
Time will tell, Conratz on finding 1 & a $1 one at that.
I would have thought Can slaw on that one unless it was a (dig it all site).

Was it from a Rocky area ?

Still a Banner .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread