1852 Gold Dollar

U

umrgolf

(cleaned photos in reply 41)

I know there are some guys out there who think its impossible to make the coin/relic finds I've made this year (as I've heard about through recent private messages) and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to quit sharing my finds. I enjoy seeing everyone else's great finds and like to share mine when I find them. If you want to sling mud about me behind my back, have at it. Those who know me personally know what type of guy I am and everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

That being said, yesterday I went to a spot where I had found some nice things earlier in the year and picked up some bullets and an 1853 halfdime (not pictured)

Today, I returned back to the same spot and right off the bat found the 1861 halfdime. After about an hour or so, I had only found the five bullets and some camp lead so I went back to the spot where I found the 2 halfdimes. I got a VERY FAINT signal hitting 88-92 on my machine which is generally a deep square nail, so I dig... and you can see from the pictures how deep this gold coin was. My best guess is 7-9 inches. I added the embossed glass shard with the "D" since it was in the same hole :laughing7: ** Out of the hole, the coin is a consistent 56 signal, and nickels ring up as 60 on the gold bug, so just below a nickel.

-The first four pictures are from my cell phone

Thanks for looking, this is my 1st gold coin

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Upvote 31

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ,one of those is on my wish list, although I do belong to the gold coin club I found a five dollar gold coin afther a seawall restoration progect 1908 Indianhead.:icon_thumleft:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Incredible finds... Just keep doing what your doing, because you are making some GREAT finds and I love to see them shared on here!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gold coin is fantastic! I applaud you for having the nerve to dig all those type of signals. That being said, there are just some sites where it's worth digging everything. I have a honey hole that has given up nearly 40 silver coins, many pre1900. I am at the point now where I am digging every mid and lower signal just because after all those silvers, there must be a gold coin for me! Your find inspires me to keep at it.

That half dime is no slouch either...congrats

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , those are some awesome scores ! A gold coin or two is on my list ... man that thing is small but awesome great things come in little packages sometimes !

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! you need to STOP buying those coins and then going out to salt a site!......... Really Jeff, Great find congrats on a superb find.
And as far as the whinners on TNet If the can't take a man having some good luck, "F" them......Misery loves company you are on fire lately
Keep up the good work! And Again, Congradulations on a great find!.................HH
Sorry for the f-bomb...mod's it you need to delete it , then do so. ................HH
Gunrunner61

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Gold coin .... i vote Banner ! :icon_thumleft:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never doubted you and your finds, never will.
Did mouth a few negative grumbles, but that's because I'm immature, and petty, and sadly, plan
to stay that way.
The alternative is way worse.
Carl
Kudos on the gold coin club, you gotta mail the whole story to W&E.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on fire my man! WTG Jeff!! Welcome to the gold coin club!!! Now that you have broken the ice with yours and Coach finding the other, you are definitely going to be seeing more in your near future my friend!!!! Also, kudos go to you for reaching your goal of 20 seateds for the year and heading toward 30!!!!!

As far as the nay-sayers go, all I can say is that I understand. Kuger & I have had enough, so we choose not to post anymore. I, however, may post something if I think it is worthy and needs to be shared!

Congrats again my friend and keep at it! 2012 has plenty of days left for you to add to the already phenomenal year you are already having!!

Ironman

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great job on the coins.I started metal detecting over a year ago but my main hobby before that was coin collecting,I met a guy at the flea market with some old 1850+ coins and asked him how he came across so many old coins,his answer was "With my Metal Detector" so of course i spent the rest of the ride home going metal detector........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:icon_scratch: A week later i had the fisher f4 and have been hooked since.No finds as good as your gold but some nice 40s 50s silver coins here and there.Nice finds and thanks for sharing!! Let the jealous ppl be jealous and keep sharing those finds,Thanks alot for the encouragement and the motivation to make me want to get out there more and find one of my own.

HH John

Last edited:

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the great find! It's rare to find a gold coin, but doing your home work and putting the time in got you the results. Those that don't put the time in and don't research because they are too busy looking at everyone else's finds and complaining, should focus more on doing what they can to improve their skills and their results. The skeptical complainers deserve exactly what they get when it comes to metal detecting! Nothing!!

Last edited:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what type of research could help recover gold coins? I mean beyond the obvious stuff.Not trying to be a smarta** or make a snide comment,Honest to god serious question. Im willing to heed any advice ppl are willing to throw at me.

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i hear you with the haters and the catty ness on here, its like freaking treasure twitter meets the j.r. high dance!!!! nice finds!!!!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is all it takes 1 gold coin to make this hobby worth every minute Great find,s !! Jim

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful....your lead cloud had a gold linning.
Awesome find.
Cool Coin(s).
When on older, historic type sites I always dig those lower signals, even ones that jump all over the place. Although I've never found a gold coin, and it's not even on my list I have found some surprises with lower / weird signals.

Take that "stuff" with a grain of salt. The thing is there ARE many fake posts on here, some have even been on the banner, but I think those with a clue know who those posters are, and for the most part they don't get replies from the knowledgeable.

Rick

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, man! A gold coin is on all of our wish lists.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold coin and having a good year! Take advantage while you can, it could dry up on you, I've been there. I found a gold coin about 6 years ago, a beauty, my avatar, took me almost 6 years to find another piece of gold I could keep. I'm happy to say, I found 12 pieces of gold this year and it's not over. HH and keep posting the goodies, Mike.

45 short

Greenie
Jan 22, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac
T-2
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, i am still waiting on mine :). thanks you for sharing

Top Member Reactions