1852 Gold Dollar

U

umrgolf

(cleaned photos in reply 41)

I know there are some guys out there who think its impossible to make the coin/relic finds I've made this year (as I've heard about through recent private messages) and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to quit sharing my finds. I enjoy seeing everyone else's great finds and like to share mine when I find them. If you want to sling mud about me behind my back, have at it. Those who know me personally know what type of guy I am and everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

That being said, yesterday I went to a spot where I had found some nice things earlier in the year and picked up some bullets and an 1853 halfdime (not pictured)

Today, I returned back to the same spot and right off the bat found the 1861 halfdime. After about an hour or so, I had only found the five bullets and some camp lead so I went back to the spot where I found the 2 halfdimes. I got a VERY FAINT signal hitting 88-92 on my machine which is generally a deep square nail, so I dig... and you can see from the pictures how deep this gold coin was. My best guess is 7-9 inches. I added the embossed glass shard with the "D" since it was in the same hole :laughing7: ** Out of the hole, the coin is a consistent 56 signal, and nickels ring up as 60 on the gold bug, so just below a nickel.

-The first four pictures are from my cell phone

Thanks for looking, this is my 1st gold coin

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG CONGRATS!!!

How many gold coins is that now?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my first one ever. Coach Croft found the larger $2.5 two Mondays ago, his first also.

I did wonder, but thought that if it were you would have mentioned it. I like all first's, & a gold coin is one of the best of these!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

I did wonder, but thought that if it were you would have mentioned it. I like all first's, & a gold coin is one of the best of these!

I did mention at the end of the first post... I'm glad to cross it off the list. My four I wanted this year were US buckle, CS buckle, gold coin, and something with a soldier's name. Got the first three now, but the fourth will be tough. I've talked to some guys that have hunted here for several years and none of them have anything with a name. Seems out east they find that stuff, but I guess not so common here.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did mention at the end of the first post... I'm glad to cross it off the list. My four I wanted this year were US buckle, CS buckle, gold coin, and something with a soldier's name. Got the first three now, but the fourth will be tough. I've talked to some guys that have hunted here for several years and none of them have anything with a name. Seems out east they find that stuff, but I guess not so common here.

Sorry, so you did. I read it all & stop reading at 'thanks for looking':laughing9:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is super small,I didnt realize just how small until you put the dime in the pic for scale.Once again,Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!'

EDIT: What would the value be to a collector for that coin?

HH John

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

No prob Crusader, it was hidden :laughing7: Value of the coin isn't much suprisingly, couple hundo at best.. Looked up mintage last night it was a little over 2,000,000 with 4000 estimated survivors

That coin is super small,I didnt realize just how small until you put the dime in the pic for scale.Once again,Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!'

EDIT: What would the value be to a collector for that coin?

HH John

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are having a dream year buddy! Finding that gold coin couldn't have happened to a better guy! I'll give you a BANNER vote, that thing is tiny!
congrats again!
peanut

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are having a dream year buddy! Finding that gold coin couldn't have happened to a better guy! I'll give you a BANNER vote, that thing is tiny!
congrats again!
peanut

I gave this a banner vote myself yesterday for two reasons,One is simply because thats a bada@# find and the second was because this coin stands to prove that you are most likely missing gold when you discriminate out the iron and nickel.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't worry about other people.......small minds, insugnificant thoughts and comments......you have some great finds there and in great shape......HH

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW, very nice find indeed!!! Thanks so much for sharing your finds!! Don't worry about the naysayers, there was and will always be.....

HH

Eddie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !!! :headbang: I still cant imagine what its like to find a gold coin,,,,,yet !! 8-)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a banner coin if I ever saw one!

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds. i hope you keep posting your finds and sharing your techniques. i have only been detecting for 2 years and have some nice finds, but have a lot to learn. thanks.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool find... gold is king even if it is a damn miniature little gold coin! I'd be stoked as heck!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome find!! I was wondering how that coin would ring up. Enjoy!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never doubted your finds .

Should be another banner find ! Congrats on a huge milestone ! We all want to find a gold coin ! Keep up the great hunts ! M.R. September 21 2012 was a good day for me as well. I scored an Oak tree III pence .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread