1870 Sheild nickel

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out on the farm today and hit the fields for awhile.Wasn't getting any signals until this popped up. It read 28 on the vdi and sure shocked me when i got home and cleaned it.i thought it was just a wheatie or something.Damned shame some one had to shoot it.Looks like it would have graded pretty good too.Oh well , it's my first 2cent piece and I'm still happy.Found a few harmonica reeds as well.Thanks for looking. HB

Attachments

• Farm finds 012.jpg
    Farm finds 012.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Farm finds 013.jpg
    Farm finds 013.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1870 2 cent piece

Hill Billy said:
BuckleBoy said:
KirkPA said:
Great find, Hilly Billy. I believe that it might be a Shield nickel, since it read at a 28 VDI. Two cent pieces read from 65-70 VDI.

Oh, I must ask, was it found at one of BuckleBoy's sites? ???

Kirk

Yep. Most certainly a Shield Nickel. A BIG congratulations to you, HB. With as much studying of the old maps as you do, you deserve some SERIOUS respect! You're the Housesite Hunter's Housesite Hunter. Heck, that's all you've done since you started the hobby. As you know, it can be quite difficult to go for those long-gone sites--and tough hunting even after the sites are found. Well done, Buddy! You're a CREDIT to the Iron Brigade, and to our hobby. Shield Nickels are tough saves--and EXCELLENT finds.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Whatch U talkin about Willis? Appreciate the kindness.Working on some more sites for us as we speak.Privy diggin 101 in a few weeks,I hope you and Tom are gonna be here.

Dude, I would not miss a privy dig of THAT MAGNITUDE for the World! I need a good reason to get away from the 'ville on Derby weekend anyhow--all those stupid folks will be here driving the wrong way down one-way streets :tard: ...and this ain't just a good reason--it's a GREAT one.

Regards,

Will

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I have found alot of shield nickles (just by luck of the draw,more than buffalos or V's) and I would trade any one of them for a shot one, Thats toooooo cool. The only shot coin I'v found was 1940d wheatleaf and that was def the coolest wheat I've found.
If I was looking at a collection of them That one would stand out the most, and say look at me.
Thats what i call 1800's coin art

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good place to hunt, I'd check/hunt it again :)

HH

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
kindafoundaclue said:
XLT strikes again! Good job on the nickle at least I know you not cherry pickin.

KFB

You must be talking about Foxy I'm guessing. :icon_scratch:I dig it all bud.Thanks for the XLT Tom, I'm sure your missing it.It's being well taken care of and is finding coins and other relics to satisfy it's appetite. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread