1877 IH !!!!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Finally, I find a key date coin!

Rewind two days ago and I am returning home from detecting a public park nearby when I bump into a nice gentleman with his wife and three kids out for a stroll. It just so happened that we bumped into each other in front of a churchyard that I had my intention of detecting for some time now. Anyway, this gentleman turns out to be the pastor of the church and grants me permission to detect it all I want. I detected part of the front yard of the church and found a couple wheats and some clad. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a nail, pull tab or anything else that is not a coin. After about an hour I returned home.

After work today, I decided to risk the sweltering heat, geared up some water bottles and headed out. I began detecting the shaded regions of the churchyard around some of the older trees and plants and immediately started finding wheats. I have still yet to find any silver however the existence of wheats increases my chances I think.

The second the last target of the day was reading as a penny/dime at four inches. For those with the ACE 250, I have noticed that a memorial penny will "ding ding" at me while a wheat normally will bounce back with a single bell tone. I have found very few IH pennies so I was not sure whether they responded as if they were memorials. This IH sounded like a wheat so I dug!

Much to my amazement, out pops this beauty. HOLY COW!

I'm still in shock and im search of a stiff drink.

HH

-Hunter

Attachments

• 1877Front.JPG
    1877Front.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,531
  • 1877Back.JPG
    1877Back.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,500
Upvote 5

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 05_1877_indian.jpg
    05_1877_indian.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,777
  • 400_1877_NGC_MS65_RB_2_.jpg
    400_1877_NGC_MS65_RB_2_.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,779
  • 1877_cent_obv.jpg
    1877_cent_obv.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,768

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
You need to look at the N in ONE it should be shallow,Thes can an have been alter into 1877 from other dates... The pros look for the shollow N when determining if real or fake... here is a pic of a real 1877 IH

Attachments

• original1877.jpg
    original1877.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,791

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, banner vote here too. Awesome coin!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
The coin has

1. Lower last 7
2. Shallow N's
3. Correct hub
4. last feather pointing between C&I
7. Tapering to fat lower 7's

It's the real deal! :thumbsup:

And if it's counterfeit, it's one of the finest examples of any coin. And probably worth more than the real thing!

Banner!

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Jeff,

Definitely will be submitting this coin for grading. I'd be a fool not to.

Certainly will welcome any questions/concerns/inquiries/rants/doubts/lingering whathaveyou regarding finding the coin, etc.

Integrity is a huge deal on this site because if we can't trust the validity of each others' finds, what good are they/we?

HH!

-Hunter

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Beaton, banner vote for you!

Any idea on how old the church is? Hopefully you find many more goodies around.

Great timing to run into the pastor on your travels... it was meant to be!
:read2:

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Gio,

The pastor was actually quite knowledgeable about the church's history and of the surrounding area. He informed me that the current church was constructed on the old church foundation and that the old foundation was laid just after the end of the Civil War. He then pointed me in the direction of the surrounding houses on the street the church is located and I noticed a similar brick coloration and design as the church. Apparently to pay for the church, the individual that owned the church property and the surrounding land, sold that land that was subsequently subdivided into lots to pay for church construction. I furthermore have permission to detect the pastor's house which he said was built a short time after the church was completed as well as one of the vacant houses up the street that he knows the out of town owners quite well.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow man awesome. You find that alot over the years and millenia.... Churches built upon other churched... Churches built on what used to be sacred sites.

Churches are a good place to hunt!

Note to self: No more trespassing. More talks with pastors! :)

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have to say this... I undersstand some sceptisizm as to the color of this coin... but too much attention is being paid to that...... it is an awesome coin! Why would this fella lie? What is to gain by it? I mean the brown color makes some think immediately that he didnt dig it.... so why subjuect yourself to the banter unless you really did dig it? I have dug a few IH 's that were that color... all were under big tree roots and he said this one was.... I popped out a worn 1870 that was that color all over and several wheats that werent green... it all depends on the soil conditions..... or maybe someone lost it a few years ago while working out there or maybe it was lost in 1877.... no way to tell.... point is.... he dug it... end of story

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats,

That is the best condition you could ask for for a dug indian. I find alot of them. But don't have the 77 yet. It is a really hard one to find. That is a few thousand dollar coin easy.

HH Jer

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
minton7 said:
I have to say this... I undersstand some sceptisizm as to the color of this coin... but too much attention is being paid to that...... it is an awesome coin! Why would this fella lie? What is to gain by it? I mean the brown color makes some think immediately that he didnt dig it.... so why subjuect yourself to the banter unless you really did dig it? I have dug a few IH 's that were that color... all were under big tree roots and he said this one was.... I popped out a worn 1870 that was that color all over and several wheats that werent green... it all depends on the soil conditions..... or maybe someone lost it a few years ago while working out there or maybe it was lost in 1877.... no way to tell.... point is.... he dug it... end of story
Not for nothing, there was a rash of fake finds posted here a while ago. The intent was to get people here all jazzed up about some "amazing' finds the poster was claiming they "found". Who knows what is in a person's head and the hope is anyone posting their find here is legit rather than a grand story-teller.
I was skeptical about the find myself because the patina didn't quite match what I would have expected from a ground dug coin, and I've seen enough across the spectrum to make some general judgment. It does appear legit if you count the tells like the corrosion. It should probably be slabbed to put a nail in the conversation. Nice coin either way. Wouldn't throw that one out just because it didn't pass the dig test.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I once found a 1950s wheat penny imbedded in a root that looked almost brand new when I removed it from the root.

I had one or two people post stating that there was NO way it was a dug coin. There have been people who have posted stuff that later proved not to be dug items, but they claimed they were.

Your coin is awesome, I'm just mad at you now because when I dig my 77 IH it won't make the banner!!!!!!! :tongue3: :tongue3: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks to all that voted for Banner and for Jeff for making it so.

To be honest, I figured there would be a bit of skepticism about digging this coin as many coins never look so good coming out of the ground and furthermore even if they are cleaned. That in mind, as noted previously, I'm having this coin graded and slabbed to help alleviate possible concern about it's validity. As far as it being dug is concerned, people have already discerned my response. I don't have reason to lie, if it were fake i'm only kidding myself in the end and frankly this is not the place to gain attention if that was my purpose. I dug this coin in the manner described and wished to share an extraordinary piece of numismatic and cultural history with all of you, that's all.

I do appreciate legitimate concerns over pieces as I myself have had them in the past seeing certain finds, however, I am of the persuasion of taking people at their word. Funny to say that coming from a future lawyer :D

I am returning to the site today, hopefully there will be more waiting, possibly some silver that has alluded me so far.

HH!

-Hunter

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Coin!
Well worth the Banner!!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well deserved banner. Congrats. As for the skeptisism a previous poster said it all. For whatever reason, some people feel as though they want to be recognized for illegitiment finds. 99.9% of the time, you can tell these finds weren't dug. As a future lawyer, and going with signs of the times we live in, don't believe everything you see or hear, until all the facts are in. :wink:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the record Hunter . . . I never questioned the validity of your story.
It's too bad that there's always a couple of cynics in the crowd, but you know
the real truth and that's all that matters!

Congrats again on getting Banner!

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love to see the other coins to compare. never found a copper without some discolor stains on it. ???

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Well now.....didnt you just shoot yourself in the foot!!! ::)
I was with you 110% about it being a legit find and all right up to the point you mentioned being a future Liar/(Lawyer).LOL....Hmmm..I'm gonna have to go back and take another look at all this for sure for sure! :laughing7: Meanwhile, if you keep using them big ol' words around some of us...well...were just gonna get all cornfused and such!
Keep up the good digs and lets see some dirty pics in the future.
Johnny
p.s. I'm refering to pictures of the coin while its still dirty! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread